Another moronic move by OBD

Is he getting out of active duty like that other pecker?

if you bothered to watch the piece ESPN did on this you would realize the Army thinks of this possibility as publicity they cant buy...plus the player will work as a recruitor as well

Im sure you would pass on the chance to play in the NFL and to act as a face for the Army for new recruits

if you bothered to watch the piece ESPN did on this you would realize the Army thinks of this possibility as publicity they cant buy...plus the player will work as a recruitor as well

Im sure you would pass on the chance to play in the NFL and to act as a face for the Army for new recruits

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic there bud.

Is he getting out of active duty like that other ____?

West Point graduates must serve an obligatory 5 year term as Army officers. They become Second Lieutenants upon graduation, and move on to further training in their job (military occupational specialty) before reaching a real Army unit. I also don't think calling these guys names is right either. Both of them are about finished with 4 years of a regimented education and they haven't even served their 5 years in the Army yet. That's a 9 year committment, and some can't even do that in a marriage.

It's hard for me being a former officer to see these guys get the ability to play football. Then again, they (Campbell and Viti) have extroardinary skills to get the call from a professional sports franchise. They will not deploy overseas to Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere unless they are no longer able to continue playing pro sports. I'll support them, even though going to combat is on hold for them right now.

This isn't the 40s, 50s, or 60s when Heisman candidates went to Army or Navy. The military isn't as popular a destination as it was then. Still, these men received a free education and while they'll have at minimum a reserve obligation, it won't be what most West Point grads will. OTOH, if they can use their notoriety to help recruitment, they're a good investment. I know I'd look forward to meeting Viti because in many ways, I can identify with him a little more.

Please, do not call them names for having the skills to be added to a pro football team. They've worked hard and should be highlighted for this. And if this doesn't work out, they'll go serve their country the other way.

seems like a no brainer to me -- pro football or go to war?

it takes a special kind of player hater to dislike a kid who swapped a low paying and often thankless job for a shot at big time, especially when it is for your favorite team!

Free Shmee. Just which D1 football starter pays? Oh you say this is on taxpayer dime. So too is every public and/or land grant institution. So that leaves only private colleges in which case the bill is directed to parents and/or student loans. Some body pays.

The Academy's introduced the policy. It certainly was not a vote of the plebes who neither vote nor demand. The likes of Blanchard, Staubach and Bellino no longer apply. War is conducted with the fore knowledge that Rangers at Normandy would die at a greater rate than others. C'est la vie, c'est le guerre.

Would Viti better serve his country in Iraq or recruiting? Now that we know who Viti is I suspect the former.