The history of the Bills and TE's

If you look at the history of the Bills, Tight End is not a position where the Bills have had playmakers. Sure, Keith McKeller was a good TE for a stretch, and Metzellars was a solid TE but unspectacular. Everett was drafted in the 3rd round, but even when he was drafted, he did not have a grade like a Olsen, Shockey, Vernon Davis, etc.

Perhaps this can be attributed to the person who is really in the ear of management for the draft? Ralph.

Maybe Ralph has an issue with drafting TE's high in the draft?

Whatever that may be, I was disappointed in Day 2, was hoping for a slight trade up to get a guy like Rucker.

If you look at the history of the Bills, Tight End is not a position where the Bills have had playmakers. Sure, Keith McKeller was a good TE for a stretch, and Metzellars was a solid TE but unspectacular. Everett was drafted in the 3rd round, but even when he was drafted, he did not have a grade like a Olsen, Shockey, Vernon Davis, etc.

Perhaps this can be attributed to the person who is really in the ear of management for the draft? Ralph.

Maybe Ralph has an issue with drafting TE's high in the draft?

Whatever that may be, I was disappointed in Day 2, was hoping for a slight trade up to get a guy like Rucker.

I'd be gun shy, too with Tony Hunter (1st rd) and Lonnie "Friggin" Johnson (2nd rd) chosen high in the draft in previous seasons.

Seriously, I doubt Ralph has a issued a mandate not to draft TEs high in the draft. The Bills have a history of sticking with their board since the Polian days with the exception of TD obviously. I think they missed out on the TE they wanted earlier though.

GO BILLS!!!

Add Paul Seymour to that list

At least we got Frank Lewis for him later on. Hunter and Friggin Lonnie got us nothing although Friggin Lonnie got us all a bunch of laughs around here.

GO BILLS!!!

Obviously, talent at tight end is important and I won't argue against that.

However, equally important, I think, is the ability of the coaching staff to be creative and utilize the tight end to a better degree. When you consider Keith McKeller, you must also consider that the mind of Ted Marchibroda was also in command of the offense.

I think Buffalo HAS had talent at the TE position (maybe not Kellen Winslow level talent, but nevertheless talented players) in past years, but that the coaching staff has not utilized the position well. Maybe things will improve now with a change in OC.

Reimersma was the last decent recieving tight end for the Bills. I think Metzalars was the best tight end they have ever had. He was a great blocker and had very reliable hands. He may have only had an 8-10 yard recieving average but he helped move the chains.

I'm hoping this guy Fine could be something like that. From what I read, good blocker with good hands. I'll take that for a 4th round pick.

Reimersma was the last decent recieving tight end for the Bills. I think Metzalars was the best tight end they have ever had. He was a great blocker and had very reliable hands. He may have only had an 8-10 yard recieving average but he helped move the chains.

I'm hoping this guy Fine could be something like that. From what I read, good blocker with good hands. I'll take that for a 4th round pick.

And ironically that's the last time the bills had anything resembling a decent offense. I'm not looking for the next Winslow or Gates. Although that would be nice. Just a consistent option, who defenses are forced to respect as a receiving threat. Not Clowns, with cement shoes, or bad hands, who couldn't outrun molasses, or catch a cold. All good offenses, have at least an option at te. One day the bills will learn. It took them awhile to learn we needed to upgrade the oline. They're sorta learning, we used to be pretty good when we had a dline. Eventually they'll figure out the te position. <_<

Maybe I am nuts but if the rest of the offense plays well the tight end doesn't need to be much of a factor anyway. If Lynch is getting his 20-25 carries, plus a couple catches, and the backup RB (Wright/Jackson/whoever) gets a few touches, and Evans catches 5-7 balls per game like he should with a legit #2 WR, and Hardy gets 3-5 catches per game, and Reed and Parrish grab 5-7 combined out of the slot where they are at their best ... there's not much left for the tight end anyway. Granted, I'd love a guy who is reliable so we can stop with the revolving door, but maybe Fine can be that guy. If he blocks well and can catch 3 balls for 30 yards and a couple first downs ... I'll take that. Everyone wants a more explosive guy but if that guy was not there I'd rather they not reach for him at a position where an average guy touches it 3 times a game and a GREAT guy touches it 5 times a game.

Again, all this assumes Hardy makes the desired impact ... but if that does not happen, there was no tight end in the draft that was going to help much anyway, especially after the 3rd round.

I agree but it is very hard to compare Metz with warlick--2 different eras. McKellar was good and Seymour was prbably our best blocker.