6th Round Selection: Xavier Omon RB NWMO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on. We are having a great draft. We just got our possible FB and a great ST player. This is not that bad of a pick.

probably 06 (because we got so many starter on a team which improved its W/L on the second day) and possibly 07 (the jury is still out but we seemed to find quality starters in all three rounds the first day (Lynch definite, Pos lead the team in tackles before he got IR'ed and Edwards looked great for a rookie though he has not proved enough on the ield to be deemed a consistent starter (yet).

However, this draft is not even over yet so it is way to early to jump the gun and call this one great. In fact, we good a very good value pick in Rd. 1 though CB despite those still whining about the loss of NC was not a priority position need for this team, we got the position player we needed in Rd 2 but the simple fact is most rookies WRs put up Peerless '07 like production #s their rookie years even when they are good, and our #3 may be a good addition to our rotation but no one imagines him to be a starter at this point.

This one may prove to be great in 3 years, but there would seem to be no way to reasonably call this a great draft right now.

But we can vary things up a lot with him because of his speed.

yea, and he can also miss key blocks as well! it's great!

i want a BLOCKING FB for BLOCKING not for "varying things"..........remember when shelton used to split out wide? we don't need that crap again

yea, and he can also miss key blocks as well! it's great!

i want a BLOCKING FB for BLOCKING not for "varying things"..........remember when shelton used to split out wide? we don't need that crap again

Shelton was a blocking FB, Omon is RB/FB and faster. He's far better than Shelton.

He looked pretty good on the Youtube video--in particular, he seems to have excellent vision and ability to know which hole to hit and then great acceleration and cut back once he does. while I wish they'd found a reserve guard or tackle instead, I don't think this was too bad a pick, IMHO....

Strengths:

Has excellent size and bulk...Strong and powerful...Tough inside runner...Does not go down easily and will pick up yards after contact...Nice vision and instincts...Has pretty good hands...Physical and punishes defenders...Offers some versatility...Is a very good blocker...Proven workhorse with a lot of experience...Real productive.

Weaknesses:

Does not have great timed speed...Not very quick or explosive...Isn't very elusive and doesn't have much wiggle...Not a big play threat...Won't get outside and turn the corner at the next level...Ball security is an issue...Really has a ton of mileage on his tires and durability may be a concern...Did not play against top competition.

Notes:

Could also potentially project to fullback in the NFL...Division II's leading rusher in 2007 and led his team to the National Championship game...North / South runner who is a jack-of-all-trades but master of none..Not starting material but can make a roster and contribute in a number of different ways...Was dominant as his level and has emerged as one of the best small school prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...xavieromon.html

I don't know why people are freaking out and complaining. The first three picks look to be excellent. I must admit I was expecting a TE in the third but apparently no one worth taking at that slot was there. I trust the scouts we've had a couple of really good drafts the last couple years and seem to find talent in the later rounds so I trust them.......As far a center goes perhaps there was no one of value at the slots we've picked at.....

I agree. There are lots of backup centers for round 7 and UDFA. There were no impact centers in this draft, maybe few project as starters, if any.

He'll be a great ST. You know that ST is part of this team right. We lost a lot of good ST players this offseason so I like seeing them rebuilding it.

I keep seeing you say this but you don't go in to the draft and pick 5 ST players that can be found in the FA market you look for players that can play and if they can play ST then great it's a better pick.