Looks like Buffalo is

NFL Network, as well as ESPN's John Clayton, are reporting that the Kansas City Chiefs - who hold the #5 and #17 picks in the first round of the draft - contacted Buffalo as soon as they traded DE Jared Allen to Minnesota about a potential trade opportunity. The Bills, according to NFLN, are interested in making a deal if the cornerback that they covet is off the board. Buffalo Rumblings can confirm for you, thanks to a friendly insider tip, that that cornerback is Troy's Leodis McKelvin, whom Buffalo's coaching staff and scouting department regard very highly.

I don't know if I like this. Some mocks have McKelvin going before us, some after. No matter what, I would like to see a trade down and get the top WR instead of CB. I wouldn't be upset, but I just don't really want a corner. If we do take him, hopefully we can trade back into the 1st

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL Network, as well as ESPN's John Clayton, are reporting that the Kansas City Chiefs - who hold the #5 and #17 picks in the first round of the draft - contacted Buffalo as soon as they traded DE Jared Allen to Minnesota about a potential trade opportunity. The Bills, according to NFLN, are interested in making a deal if the cornerback that they covet is off the board. Buffalo Rumblings can confirm for you, thanks to a friendly insider tip, that that cornerback is Troy's Leodis McKelvin, whom Buffalo's coaching staff and scouting department regard very highly.

I don't know if I like this. Some mocks have McKelvin going before us, some after. No matter what, I would like to see a trade down and get the top WR instead of CB. I wouldn't be upset, but I just don't really want a corner. If we do take him, hopefully we can trade back into the 1st

that is probably the plan

Although it seems from what was said in the first part that they would stay put at #11 if he is there, and trade back with KC if he is taken before

I'm sure someone from the Bills' front office immediately called John Clayton to tell him that they want CB McKelvin with their 1st pick :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, that's ridiculous. They obviously would've called Jay Glazer.

I think its certainly possible that McKelvin is the guy they want, but at the same time, I don't believe he'll be available. All four teams immediately ahead of the Bills could potentially take him, but especially New England at 7 and Baltimore at 8.

Additionally, considering that McKelvin is a bit of a longshot to even reach the 11th overall pick, I'm not so sure I believe that the Bills would be leaking their interest to the media. It may either be total speculation by Clayton or a bit of posturing by the Bills with these trade talks ongoing.

Agreed 110% ScottLaw. CB would be a disaster.

I don't see how you can say that drafting any postion would be a disaster. Last I checked we don't have multiple pro bowlers at cb, ol, dt, wr, lb, or de. So if they think that the guy most likely to be a pro bowler is a cb (lets suspend disbelief and pretend these things are even semi-predictable), then take cb. If they think its an o-lineman, than take an o-lineman, etc, etc. We're just not a good enough team right now to draft for need. They've gotta take the best player available, no matter what position he plays.

CB in the first would be the dumbest move we could make.

Agreed 110% ScottLaw. CB would be a disaster.

I think its certainly possible that McKelvin is the guy they want, but at the same time, I don't believe he'll be available. All four teams immediately ahead of the Bills could potentially take him, but especially New England at 7 and Baltimore at 8.

Additionally, considering that McKelvin is a bit of a longshot to even reach the 11th overall pick, I'm not so sure I believe that the Bills would be leaking their interest to the media. It may either be total speculation by Clayton or a bit of posturing by the Bills with these trade talks ongoing.

So is drafting McKelvin is such a bad move, but the Ravens and Pats may grab him before us??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

PTR

So is drafting McKelvin is such a bad move, but the Ravens and Pats may grab him before us??? :rolleyes:;) ;)

PTR

Didn't you get the memo? The only thing that ever makes sense in every draft, no matter where we pick and regardless of the talent level of other positions, is to draft big line guys, regardless if they are a 10 draft pick reach or are projected to go in the next round.

Philip Merling, here we come! :rolleyes:

it makes a lot more sense if their real target is Harvey

I'll be surprised if the Patriots or Ravens take him and I wouldn't want him for the Bills. McKelvin only had 4 INTs in his college career and even if he can cover, usually you want your top 15 CB picks to have the ability to create turnovers. NFL rules are very slanted towards offense and especially the passing game, so even a good coverage corner will get beat, especially if you don't have a dominant pass rush, which the Bills lack. You want your corners to be able to punch back occasionally with INTs to make up for the times they get beat. And a rookie corner will probably get beat routinely for at least two years.

Harvey would be the way to go obie one, and I only am on board with WR as the only other position I want because as Brandon stated in another thread, no matter how well the defense plays, the offense can't keep leaving them high and dry all the time. But yeah, Harvey is my first choice with a trade up for a WR next.

it makes a lot more sense if their real target is Harvey

I don't think Derrick Harvey will be available, either. Its much the same as with McKelvin. The Pats, Ravens, and Bengals could all end up taking him, assuming he's as good as the hype around here.

The Pats have an obvious need at OLB and Harvey would probably fit there as a pass rusher.

The Ravens? How many DEs are listed on their roster? 1...Jarrett Johnson.

Cincinnatti had only 20 sacks as a team last year. They have a couple of guys who played well in situational roles last year, but may be looking for a true starter.

Although Harvey has had a lot of hype around here Brandon, I agree with many that he didn't really play "lights out" in college, although he played well. I think many realize he can keep getting better and it's his growth and potential that have them on the bandwagon, including myself.

Although Harvey has had a lot of hype around here Brandon, I agree with many that he didn't really play "lights out" in college, although he played well. I think many realize he can keep getting better and it's his growth and potential that have them on the bandwagon, including myself.

The only problem is he's projected to go 17 at the earliest from all the mocks I have seen, and I don't know why it's ok to reach back 6 picks in the top half of the draft. Does the fact that he plays on the line make that ok? Does that same reasoning apply if we were to take a CB?

That's what concerns me about Harvey. Generally speaking, DEs have a very rough transition into the NFL. Opposing OTs are too good anymore. These days, unless a DE is truly a playmaker, he's probably going to be very ordinary. There's no middle ground and again, its because the OTs around the league are so athletic and talented these days that unless that DE has some outstanding quality (and usually, its speed), he'll be shut down.

To me, Harvey doesn't appear to have any standout qualities. He'd probably be an excellent pass-rushing OLB, but as a DE, I think there's a very real chance that he's a deluxe version of Chris Kelsay.

That could be very possible, but we don't know. As for because he plays line and not CB, yeah, that does make it OK! :lol: You win upfront, always have, always will. Since our offense is so pathetic though, I am on board with WR being the top pick as well, be it at 11 or a little lower in a trade down.

I don't see how you can say that drafting any postion would be a disaster. Last I checked we don't have multiple pro bowlers at cb, ol, dt, wr, lb, or de. So if they think that the guy most likely to be a pro bowler is a cb (lets suspend disbelief and pretend these things are even semi-predictable), then take cb. If they think its an o-lineman, than take an o-lineman, etc, etc. We're just not a good enough team right now to draft for need. They've gotta take the best player available, no matter what position he plays.

Good post...By any chance, do you ever get mistaken for Shrek???