More Mis-Information? Or Buttering Up the Fans for the Pick?

CJPearl2

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/329021.html

Is this classic pre-draft misdirection or the Bills' way to lessen the blow (yes, you know I hate this pick) with the Thomas pick?

Please discuss.

p.s. This pick would probably ruin my entertainment center because I will likely throw something through the TV if I hear this name at #11.

I like this choice if the Bills make it. He is a big guy with great speed and will help this team. I, unlike many here, think that WR is our biggest need by FAR and taking Thomas at 11 would be good for me. I believe that if the top 10 picks shake out right, like it says at the bottom of the article, then the Bills would be a great position to move down into the lower teens or the early 20's while picking up a later round pick as well. If thats the case then i think the Bills will make that move, because 11 is not the ideal spot for us to be picking at this year.

There are no clear-cut "can't miss" prospects in this draft, so I'm not sure why you would hate this pick. When Lee Evans was drafted, the talk the week leading up to the draft was "the Bills really like him, but is he a reach at 13?" By the end of the week, I remember most everyone was OK with taking him and it turns out we were right.

Guys........im calling my shot now......Devin Thomas & Limas Sweed or James Hardy will be Buffalo Bills....im telling you all now..we get 2 WR's day one! Devin Thomas being the first of the bunch, and I see Buffalo pushing for Sweed or Hardy by trading back into the first........

Guys........im calling my shot now......Devin Thomas & Limas Sweed or James Hardy will be Buffalo Bills....im telling you all now..we get 2 WR's day one! Devin Thomas being the first of the bunch, and I see Buffalo pushing for Sweed or Hardy by trading back into the first........

Sorry buddy, I don't see that happening in a million years. I don't think they want one highly selected rookie at WR, let alone two. They don't have much of a choice right now with our lineup, though. I think that's the only reason we're considering one in the first or second.

Sorry buddy, I don't see that happening in a million years. I don't think they want one highly selected rookie at WR, let alone two. They don't have much of a choice right now with our lineup, though. I think that's the only reason we're considering one in the first or second.

I understand your point and except it. I dont know why im thinking it, I just am.......Im sure I am wrong, just a gut feeling is all.....

Honestly, this years draft is really up in the air as far as what position we will address day 1.

Wait and see man!

Thanks for replying though!

It does remind me a bit of what happened last year. Remember that Lych was ranked by most as, like, the #17 or so pick overall -- and some pundits (like McShay) mocked the Bills for "reaching" for him at 12. If the Bills really do like Thomas that much, even if he is ranked #16-20 by the "experts" -- I REALLY do not see taking him at #11 as that much of a reach.

This is a tough call. Mark has some good sources on the Bills staff, but he might be only reading into what Modrak said, and with some research into other areas.

I can't remember ever seeing a reporter with solid information on who the Bills were gonna draft, with the exception of someone like OJ. They just don't tell people what their plans are, even to the extent of saying that they're really high on someone, for good reasons.

While it is not my preference for the Bills to take Thomas at number 11, I would not be surprised or overly dissappointed. I trust that the Bills brain trust knows what they're doing and will make the best decisions for the team moving forward.

True. Because they have done such a good job the past 8-9 seasons, right?

It does remind me a bit of what happened last year. Remember that Lych was ranked by most as, like, the #17 or so pick overall -- and some pundits (like McShay) mocked the Bills for "reaching" for him at 12. If the Bills really do like Thomas that much, even if he is ranked #16-20 by the "experts" -- I REALLY do not see taking him at #11 as that much of a reach.

The term "reach" is way overused. To me, a reach is taking a guy now who would very likely still be there when your next pick is up. Taking a guy now who you need and who is the best left at that position but who, on the big board is "rated" lower than 5 or 6 other guys is not a reach. Teams have very little control over where they pick in each round. Trade downs, especially in the first half of the first round are the exception, not the rule. You can't just decide that you'll trade down here and up there to get so and so at such and such a slot. It doesn't work that way. We needed a RB last year and the best guy on the board at that position when we picked was Lynch, so we took him. Maybe on the expert boards Lynch was rated 4 or 5 slots lower but the other guys, no matter how talented, weren't talented enough to warrant taking them despite our glaring need at RB and the availability of real good one, Lynch, at the time we picked.

These guys don't pick based on just need or just talent, they pick the guy who is the best combination of need and talent still on the board when their pick comes up. The only way that kind of pick is a reach is if you know he would have been there at your next pick or that you could trade down and still get him. That is rarely the case, a lot rarer than I hear some know it all raving about how this team or that team "reached" for whoever.

I sometimes wonder if these guys remember what they write form one year to the next:

(sorry Lori, this begs to be posted in its entirety! :P )

Drafting receivers in first round can be a reach

By Mark Gaughan

April 22, 2007

There's a perception that receivers are a dime a dozen in the NFL. It's a misconception. Decent receivers are a dime a dozen. Finding a sure-fire, great receiver in the draft is a lot harder than most people think.

The track record of receivers taken in the first round of the draft the past decade proves it. The 1996 draft class was a great one for receivers. Five were taken in the first round. Four have had outstanding careers -- Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, Eric Moulds and Terry Glenn. The other, Eddie Kennison, has had a decent career. Terrell Owens was a fourth-round pick that year.

Since then, the first-round success rate has been shaky.

There were 32 receivers taken in the first round in the eight drafts from 1997 through 2004. (It's too early to draw conclusions on the draft classes of the last two years.)

Of those 32, 12 players were busts, and another six were poor to below average. Just 14 -- or 44 percent -- were decent or better.

Many colleges are playing a wide-open passing style. It's easier to make the transition from college to pro at receiver than at offensive line or quarterback. One would expect a success rate of better than 44 percent. Yet this is another example of why the draft is such an inexact science.

Nine could be considered very good to outstanding. They are: Randy Moss ('98), Torry Holt ('99), Plaxico Burress ('00), Santana Moss ('01), Reggie Wayne ('01), Javon Walker ('02), Andre Johnson ('03), Roy Williams ('04) and Lee Evans ('04).

The busts were, by year: '97: Yatil Green, Anthony Reidel, Rae Carruth; '98: Marcus Nash; '99: Troy Edwards; '00: Sylvester Morris, R.J. Soward, Peter Warrick; '01: David Terrell, Freddie Mitchell; '03: Charles Rogers; '04: Rashaun Woods.

Eight of 22 first-round receivers from 2000 to '04 aren't even in the league today.

So it should not come as a surprise that several teams are rumored to be interested in trading up to get Oakland's No. 1 overall pick.

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech, is the No. 1 talent available, and if anyone ever looked like a sure bet it's him. He has Owens' size, Moss' speed and Harrison's positive attitude.

I forget where I read or heard it but I remember the saying, 'If the guy you are targeting is available at the time you pick, get them. Why trade down and take the chance of him not being there because someone in the press will call it a reach.'

To me what the Bills do revolves around that statement. I think they have someone in mind and they will take him.

Don't get me wrong in my mind I have come up with several scenarios allowing us to get several impact players. Swap with Eagles pick up Shepard, swap with Vikings pick up Burk and others but at the end of the day I think the Bills will take the guy that they have targeted.

Another oldie, but a goodie: :P

Bills' draft plans reflect confidence in Losman

By Larry Felser

April 22, 2007

The Bills held their annual pre-draft media session the other day. It was illuminating on a small scale, but General Manager Marv Levy didn't leak any top-secret information from his war room.

He did suggest that the team's first pick could be a linebacker, running back or maybe even a wide receiver, which narrows it down to about a dozen players. He also slam-dunked the obvious by revealing that no premium pick would be spent on a development quarterback. :lol:

J.P. Losman is the Bills' man under center. Levy didn't suggest that Losman is on the road to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, nor that he peers at his quarterback with his coaching eyes and sees a young Jim Kelly. After all, Losman turned 26 just last month and he has a mere 24 NFL starts in his resume.

What Levy did seem to suggest is that the Bills' offensive hierarchy is comfortable with Losman, that his progress is coming along well and that, despite some holes in a few other positions, Buffalo could make a run at the playoffs with him if he keeps on improving.... :lol: