Things the BIlls must do this draft to compete...

If the Bills are to compete this year, they must do some house-cleaning and draft players who will make an impact now...

1) Trade JP--he does not deserve a chance to start. He has had three chances and it's time to part ways--get a fifth round pick and the other team's cutest cheerleaders.

2)DO NOT DRAFT A CB--I don't think the Bills' will. This obsession rampant on the board is mindboggling--I just don't see the need. The corners played well--the middle of the defense is where the pass coverage was weak last year.

3)Draft VERNON GHOLSTEN--He will be the best pass rusher in the draft. If the Bills don't want to give away picks, then draft Rivers and use him on third downs.

4)A dependable pass-catching TE is more important than a wide receiver. Although my gut feeling is the Bills like Shouman.

5)We can select two receivers later in the draft and get near quality with the best in this weak receiver draft. Hopefully, one of the two pans out.

6)Draft the highest rated center and start him on September 7. The Bills will never consistently run the ball with Fowler--I'm tired of looking a the ten man pile-ups with Marshawn moving the pile himself.

7)Get rid of JP...oh I said that already.

I think you got waaaaaaaaay too much sun when you were in florida. I dont even know where to start with this nonsense.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because all I said makes no sense.

Some of these players will have to make an impact if the Bills are going to the playoffs...that is not such an outrageous thought. The Bills have very little margin to make mistakes.

1. You all ripped my comments because half of you are enamored with a losing QB. But the point is, he will be a distraction at best and will thwart TE's progress looking over his back constantly. Again, Get rid of him. I think we can manage to find a back-up.

But if we replace him with another veteran backup, won't he still be looking over his shoulder? If he can't handle that, what kind of player is he, anyways?

I hear ya regarding 'coverage' LBs and I'm certainly not advocating taking Rivers because he's a good coverage LB. Although it doesn't hurt to have an LB that can do both. I mention his coverage ability because it underscores his great athleticism.

The USC staff had a problem with him coming off the edge? No. They simply didn't ask him to do it because they generated enough pressure with their front four and they LOVED his coverage ability. Teams rarely threw in his direction. That was my point about looking at the game tapes. I wouldn't expect to see sack stats when I didn't ask him to do what's needed to get them.

If he does end up sliding out of the top 10, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I gotta think the Bills and teams behind him have ranked in the top 10 on their boards. At the very least, if the Bills don't take him, it'll add another player teams will be willing to trade up to get.

GO BILLS!!!

Rivers will provide more impact than any WR or CB that will be available @ #11

Just a note:

We play a 4-3 defense.

If Rivers is going to provide an impact, which of our three starting linebackers is headed to the bench?

Crowell only looked good because he played next to pizza bou and Ellision.

He can't get off blocks, consistently is out of position and takes the wrong angles and does not rush the passer.

Crowell only looked good because he played next to pizza bou and Ellision.

He can't get off blocks, consistently is out of position and takes the wrong angles and does not rush the passer.

Chris Brown's Bill's blog:

CROWELL HAS AN ARGUMENT: Looking at the AFC Pro Bowl picks for the OLB position it's obvious that 3-4 LBs have a major advantage. Since they rush the passer a lot more they can rack up a lot more sacks, an overvalued stat for linebackers. Pittsburgh's James Harrison (who I believe is deserving) had 8.5 sacks, but he also have four pass breakups, an INT, seven forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He also had a respectable 89 total tackles. At least he had numbers across the board.

But New England's Mike Vrabel and San Diego's Shawne Merriman have yet to crack the 70 tackle plateau (as linebackers!), but because they have 9.5 and 11.5 sacks respectively they go to the Pro Bowl. Granted they also play for high profile and successful teams which always helps too. But aside from those sack totals their other numbers are less impressive than Crowell's

Let's compare

Crowell 113 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 safety, 5 PBUs, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 FR

Vrabel 69 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 0 safety, 0 PBUs, 0 INT, 5 FF, 0 FR

Merriman 63 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 0 safety, 0 PBUs, 0 INT, 2 FF, 1 FR

I'll be the first to agree that the sack is a glorified stat for a defensive end, but it's the primary role of a defensive end along with making tackles in the run game. Linebackers should be able to do more than just rush the passer. Yes, Merriman is a great pass rusher, but Crowell has better all-around numbers. Not to mention he doesn't blitz much at all. In his system he's off the line a good portion of the time.

I just think Crowell should've received more consideration. He should at least be a first alternate. After David Thornton there's no outside linebacker in the AFC within 10 tackles of him. That's a game's worth of tackles ahead of almost every AFC outside backer.

And Crowell is the weak link on our team? Sorry, that is just plain silly.

We need at least a new starting WR, TE, C, FB, FS, DE, oG, and CB before we need to worry about replacing Crowell.

If the Bills are to compete this year, they must do some house-cleaning and draft players who will make an impact now...

1) Trade JP--he does not deserve a chance to start. He has had three chances and it's time to part ways--get a fifth round pick and the other team's cutest cheerleaders.

2)DO NOT DRAFT A CB--I don't think the Bills' will. This obsession rampant on the board is mindboggling--I just don't see the need. The corners played well--the middle of the defense is where the pass coverage was weak last year.

3)Draft VERNON GHOLSTEN--He will be the best pass rusher in the draft. If the Bills don't want to give away picks, then draft Rivers and use him on third downs.

4)A dependable pass-catching TE is more important than a wide receiver. Although my gut feeling is the Bills like Shouman.

5)We can select two receivers later in the draft and get near quality with the best in this weak receiver draft. Hopefully, one of the two pans out.

6)Draft the highest rated center and start him on September 7. The Bills will never consistently run the ball with Fowler--I'm tired of looking a the ten man pile-ups with Marshawn moving the pile himself.

7)Get rid of JP...oh I said that already.

Lets take this mixed bag of suggestions one at a time.

1. Trade JP. I can see some trade scenarios where this would be a possibility. I think, however, that the Bills would actually be better for this season if they were to keep him on. First, he has said he will stay with the team. The team has unequivocally stated that TE is the starter, so I don't think JP will get a chance to compete for the job, regardless of what some people on the board are suggesting. If he has to play, he will have to play well if he wants another team to take a shot at him, so for Buffalo, keeping him is a win win. If TE gets hurt, they have a veteran backup who can step in and take over while he recovers, and JP has to play well if he wants out of Buffalo for another chance to start in the NFL.

2. Don't Draft a CB. That depends. Do you mean don't draft one in the First, or don't take one at all. If you mean the first choice, I agree with you. I think Buffalo needs to take a WR in the first round, but more on that in just a moment. I think the Bills need talented depth at corner and would be fine with them taking someone in the third or later, maybe the second if Brandon Flowers falls to us. Right now, we only have three CBs on the roster who I feel comfortable with on the field in McGee, Greer and James. Youboty just hasn't proven he's ready, though that could change. I would feel better adding some depth to the position, if for nothing else to avoid the injury patchwork we had to deal with last year.

3. Draft Vernon Gholston. First of all, that would require a significant trade up, which is NEVER going to happen. If he were to fall to the Bills, I still wouldn't take him. Yes, he has a ton of physical talent and he rose quickly up the draft boards. That being said, even with all that talent he wasn't the best player on that OSU defense. He looks like another guy that isn't quite right at DE and isn't quite right at LB. I have to disagree with you. Buffalo should not be looking D in the first round, and if they do, it needs to be a pure DE, someone like Harvey or more preferably Quentin Groves. Gholston strikes me as another Erik Flowers, and we all know how that turned out.

4. Pass Catching TE > WR. I agree in part and disagree in part. Buffalo needs a TE who can catch the ball and spread the field. No question that is true. However, Buffalo even more desperately needs a WR who can take double teams off of Evans, and preferably both a WR and a TE. My gut tells me that is what Buffalo is going to do in rounds one and two. I see Devin Thomas in the First and either Dustin Keller or Fred Davis in the second round. If we trade down with Philly and gain either Lito Shepard in the trade or an additional second rounder, I see us doing this for sure. However, WR is a bigger need, by a hair, than TE. Fact is, we need both.

5. Draft Two Receivers later in the draft and keep your fingers crossed. This is the point where my eyes began to roll. If Buffalo does this, you can bend over and kiss the playoffs and any chance of us getting there this year or next good bye. Buffalo has had a screaming need at WR ever since Peerless Price left the FIRST time. After that, Moulds was consistently double teamed and his production lapsed. That led to his frustration and demands for a trade. Now Evans is in the same spot. He is getting double teamed and frustrated and if nothing is done at the WR position, after the season we will have NO WRs worth starting because Evans won't be back. The talent in the draft is deep, that's very true, but there is a clear difference between the top four and the bottom four, which is what we'll get if we wait to the fifth or sixth round. Devin Thomas should be our pick in the first, and not only that, Buffalo should take another receiver either in the fourth or fifth. I'd even say that if we take Devin Thomas at 11 and Malcolm Kelly falls to us at 42, we should draft him there as well. If not, take Thomas at 11, then take Jerome Simpson or Adrian Arrington in the fourth or fifth round. More quality depth is a MUST at the position. Waiting and praying is not the solution.

6. Draft the Highest Rated Center and Start Him. With this statement I wholeheartedly agree. Buffalo should draft Mike Pollack in the third round, no questions asked. He is a beast of a player and he's going to be a Kent Hull type center. Mark my words, the kid can flat out play. If not Pollack in the third, Kory Lichtensteiger in the fifth would be an excellent choice. Again, he has ideal size and is a very heady player at the position. Either one of them would be an upgrade at the position, and Fowler isn't a bad option as a solid backup in the event of injury. Good call on this one.

I think you got waaaaaaaaay too much sun when you were in florida. I dont even know where to start with this nonsense.

Tell me what is so nonsensical...cause I don't see it. Moving up in a draft to get a pass rusher so outrageous?

Wanting to get a center that can actually block?

Getting rid of JP so we can stop all the comparison nonsense and freely give TE the reins?

Not wanting a cb in the first round?

Wanting a TE more than a receiver?

Help me here...maybe you can help me see the ways of my so-called nonsense.

Just a note:

We play a 4-3 defense.

If Rivers is going to provide an impact, which of our three starting linebackers is headed to the bench?

What a GREAT problem for the coaches to have. If I had to make a guess and assuming Mitchell was brought in to start, I'd have no problem sitting Crowell. He's adequate AT BEST. At any rate it would be one hell of a rotation for our front seven.

Anyone remember who Bennett replaced in '87?

GO BILLS!!!

Lets take this mixed bag of suggestions one at a time.

1. Trade JP. I can see some trade scenarios where this would be a possibility. I think, however, that the Bills would actually be better for this season if they were to keep him on. First, he has said he will stay with the team. The team has unequivocally stated that TE is the starter, so I don't think JP will get a chance to compete for the job, regardless of what some people on the board are suggesting. If he has to play, he will have to play well if he wants another team to take a shot at him, so for Buffalo, keeping him is a win win. If TE gets hurt, they have a veteran backup who can step in and take over while he recovers, and JP has to play well if he wants out of Buffalo for another chance to start in the NFL.

2. Don't Draft a CB. That depends. Do you mean don't draft one in the First, or don't take one at all. If you mean the first choice, I agree with you. I think Buffalo needs to take a WR in the first round, but more on that in just a moment. I think the Bills need talented depth at corner and would be fine with them taking someone in the third or later, maybe the second if Brandon Flowers falls to us. Right now, we only have three CBs on the roster who I feel comfortable with on the field in McGee, Greer and James. Youboty just hasn't proven he's ready, though that could change. I would feel better adding some depth to the position, if for nothing else to avoid the injury patchwork we had to deal with last year.

3. Draft Vernon Gholston. First of all, that would require a significant trade up, which is NEVER going to happen. If he were to fall to the Bills, I still wouldn't take him. Yes, he has a ton of physical talent and he rose quickly up the draft boards. That being said, even with all that talent he wasn't the best player on that OSU defense. He looks like another guy that isn't quite right at DE and isn't quite right at LB. I have to disagree with you. Buffalo should not be looking D in the first round, and if they do, it needs to be a pure DE, someone like Harvey or more preferably Quentin Groves. Gholston strikes me as another Erik Flowers, and we all know how that turned out.

4. Pass Catching TE > WR. I agree in part and disagree in part. Buffalo needs a TE who can catch the ball and spread the field. No question that is true. However, Buffalo even more desperately needs a WR who can take double teams off of Evans, and preferably both a WR and a TE. My gut tells me that is what Buffalo is going to do in rounds one and two. I see Devin Thomas in the First and either Dustin Keller or Fred Davis in the second round. If we trade down with Philly and gain either Lito Shepard in the trade or an additional second rounder, I see us doing this for sure. However, WR is a bigger need, by a hair, than TE. Fact is, we need both.

5. Draft Two Receivers later in the draft and keep your fingers crossed. This is the point where my eyes began to roll. If Buffalo does this, you can bend over and kiss the playoffs and any chance of us getting there this year or next good bye. Buffalo has had a screaming need at WR ever since Peerless Price left the FIRST time. After that, Moulds was consistently double teamed and his production lapsed. That led to his frustration and demands for a trade. Now Evans is in the same spot. He is getting double teamed and frustrated and if nothing is done at the WR position, after the season we will have NO WRs worth starting because Evans won't be back. The talent in the draft is deep, that's very true, but there is a clear difference between the top four and the bottom four, which is what we'll get if we wait to the fifth or sixth round. Devin Thomas should be our pick in the first, and not only that, Buffalo should take another receiver either in the fourth or fifth. I'd even say that if we take Devin Thomas at 11 and Malcolm Kelly falls to us at 42, we should draft him there as well. If not, take Thomas at 11, then take Jerome Simpson or Adrian Arrington in the fourth or fifth round. More quality depth is a MUST at the position. Waiting and praying is not the solution.

6. Draft the Highest Rated Center and Start Him. With this statement I wholeheartedly agree. Buffalo should draft Mike Pollack in the third round, no questions asked. He is a beast of a player and he's going to be a Kent Hull type center. Mark my words, the kid can flat out play. If not Pollack in the third, Kory Lichtensteiger in the fifth would be an excellent choice. Again, he has ideal size and is a very heady player at the position. Either one of them would be an upgrade at the position, and Fowler isn't a bad option as a solid backup in the event of injury. Good call on this one.

First of all, thank you for responding with maturity and not try to make me feel stupid.

To answer your questions, I meant not taking a CB in the first, but take one for depth in the mid-rounds.

As far as WR--I don't think there is much talent difference between the top receivers and maybe the top 12 or 15, and if the Bills can pluck a couple mid-rounder sleepers they might find a gem.

Lastly, I'll give in on Gholsten based on what everyone is saying about him now, but my reasoning is draft a pass-rusher not a CB or a WR who won't make much impact right away. DEs or LBer usually make quicker adjustments in the NFL than those other positions.

Chris Brown's Bill's blog:

CROWELL HAS AN ARGUMENT: Looking at the AFC Pro Bowl picks for the OLB position it's obvious that 3-4 LBs have a major advantage. Since they rush the passer a lot more they can rack up a lot more sacks, an overvalued stat for linebackers. Pittsburgh's James Harrison (who I believe is deserving) had 8.5 sacks, but he also have four pass breakups, an INT, seven forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He also had a respectable 89 total tackles. At least he had numbers across the board.

But New England's Mike Vrabel and San Diego's Shawne Merriman have yet to crack the 70 tackle plateau (as linebackers!), but because they have 9.5 and 11.5 sacks respectively they go to the Pro Bowl. Granted they also play for high profile and successful teams which always helps too. But aside from those sack totals their other numbers are less impressive than Crowell's

Let's compare

Crowell 113 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 safety, 5 PBUs, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 FR

Vrabel 69 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 0 safety, 0 PBUs, 0 INT, 5 FF, 0 FR

Merriman 63 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 0 safety, 0 PBUs, 0 INT, 2 FF, 1 FR

I'll be the first to agree that the sack is a glorified stat for a defensive end, but it's the primary role of a defensive end along with making tackles in the run game. Linebackers should be able to do more than just rush the passer. Yes, Merriman is a great pass rusher, but Crowell has better all-around numbers. Not to mention he doesn't blitz much at all. In his system he's off the line a good portion of the time.

I just think Crowell should've received more consideration. He should at least be a first alternate. After David Thornton there's no outside linebacker in the AFC within 10 tackles of him. That's a game's worth of tackles ahead of almost every AFC outside backer.

And Crowell is the weak link on our team? Sorry, that is just plain silly.

We need at least a new starting WR, TE, C, FB, FS, DE, oG, and CB before we need to worry about replacing Crowell.

You sure you want to hang your hat on tackle stats? Well, if so, go back and look at how many plays Crowell was on the field for vs. Vrabel or Merriman. Our D couldn't get off the field. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if most of our starters that went through the year unhurt were near the top of the list in tackles for their respective positions.

I'm not saying Crowell is the weak link. I AM saying Rivers is a better LB RIGHT NOW. But that's only one man's opinion and, like you say, we'll know on Saturday. And if he falls like you predict I'll be the first one to eat crow and give you the props for predicting something nobody, not even the experts, are predicting.

GO BILLS!!!

So when the Bills draft immediate contributors and starters, as they have done the past 2 years, its because we suck that bad. But when GB and the NYG do it, its because "they are good drafters." :P

Theres a huge difference between getting timely contributions from rookies, and relying on them game in and game out. NYG used the former last season.

I also forgot Ahmad Bradshaw for the Giants. Wow, what a draft!

The Bills' drafts have been decent the past two years -- definitely a big improvement over years' past -- but they don't compare to that of the Giants and Packers.

I also forgot Ahmad Bradshaw for the Giants. Wow, what a draft!

The Bills' drafts have been decent the past two years -- definitely a big improvement over years' past -- but they don't compare to that of the Giants and Packers.

green bay got almost zero production from its 2007 draft. James Jones was the only player that did anything of note consistently, and deshawn wynn was a couple of decent games.

And as for the giants, they got timely production from their rookies, NOT consistent year long production. Everyone is all over kevin boss, because he has a great catch and run in the super bowl. It was 1 of 4 post season catches for him in 4 games. Again, it was timely contributions, NOT consistent contributions.

No, because the person they bring in knows his role whereas JP still thinks he got a raw deal and is the better QB. Big difference.

So we are better off with a scrub who knows he can't play than a solid backup who can. I have to disagree- in that case you may as well not even have a backup. If Edwards is that sensitive, get rid of him now, he can suck it up or leave

Groves is the best pass rusher in this draft and he will be a much better pro then Gholston. The knock on Gholston is he disappears and does not always play to his ability. Groves terrorizes QBs

quentin groves underwent surgery to repair damage to heart valve if i read it right,, he is exspected to fully recover and has sent letters to the nfl teams making them aware of his physical status... that all being said and done... its going to kill his draft position,, late 2nd early 3rd if he gets medical ok for this year..just a humble opinion

I think trading JP is a good idea. It is better to get something for him then to not get anything. He won't be around next year, and the Bills can use the pick to groom a backup. I have a feeling this is what the Bills have in mind for after the second round.

The Bills defnitely need a pass catching TE. I also like your idea of using multiple picks on wide receivers; however, I think it would be better in the middle rounds, such as 3rd & 4th than 7th. Let's face it they need help, and it was always a Giant's strategy to use multiple picks on the same position when it is a position of high need. It would be very rare to have both players become busts.

I think you forgot to mention that the Bills need to find a full back, which will substantially help the running game.

I think getting a defensive end would help make the Bills defensive line become dominant. I really don't think they are going to draft Rivers since he plays weak side linebacker, where they brought in the player from the Giants.

There is going to be a lot movement in this draft, and I hope the Bills trade down since they need help in a lot of areas plus depth. If you were to include depth, they are going to have to draft some linebackers for special teams.