Things the BIlls must do this draft to compete...

I think trading JP is a good idea. It is better to get something for him then to not get anything. He won't be around next year, and the Bills can use the pick to groom a backup. I have a feeling this is what the Bills have in mind for after the second round.

Getting a year of having him as a backup is more than nothing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you watch the Giants' Super Bowl run? Steve Smith, Aaron Ross, and Kevin Boss made key plays and played critical roles in their SB run.

Did you watch the Packers turnaround season last year? They had a few rookie starters on both sides of the ball.

Perhaps you consider the draft a crapshoot because the Bills frankly haven't been very good drafters in the past 10 years... whatever the reason may be, I think you're wrong.

I consider the draft a crapshoot because many teams win in this crapshoot and also many teams lose. Simply listing the many successes does not prove that my view of this is wrong. The Bills past failures at drafting inform but do not drive my feelings about this just as the Bill's success the last two years in drafting a bunch of starters on an improved team merely informs but does not drive me to a particular conclusion.

The simple statistical facts are that not to far from 50% of even first round draft choices are solid starters in their second year. The first 10 choices are where the "elite" players are found that almost certainly will get starting jobs and after that there is a steep drop-off to some players making it and others failing to be solid starters.

The Bills will have to do a lot of things well in order to rebound and the draft is only one of them. What is wrong with this idea?

First of all, thank you for responding with maturity and not try to make me feel stupid.

To answer your questions, I meant not taking a CB in the first, but take one for depth in the mid-rounds.

As far as WR--I don't think there is much talent difference between the top receivers and maybe the top 12 or 15, and if the Bills can pluck a couple mid-rounder sleepers they might find a gem.

Lastly, I'll give in on Gholsten based on what everyone is saying about him now, but my reasoning is draft a pass-rusher not a CB or a WR who won't make much impact right away. DEs or LBer usually make quicker adjustments in the NFL than those other positions.

No problem on the response. I would point out, however, that while you might be right about the receivers, I do think there is a drop off after the top five or six in terms of talent. That being said, I also think that a rookie receiver or two would have an immediate impact. Perhaps teams won't think they will, but when Trent starts targeting them against single coverage it should start to take pressure of Lee and get him more opportunities. I'll admit, I don't expect ANY rookie receiver we get this year to surpass a thousand yards, but if they can have stats of say 55-700-4 that would be a huge impact, and would mean Evans should have numbers like 75-1100-8 which is closer to his form of two years ago.

I like taking a WR in round one, after a trade down, then getting a DE at the start of round two and a TE with the additional pick from the trade down. Then in the third take Mike Pollack at Center to address that need, and hope that Jerome Simpson or Adrian Arrington is there in the Fourth for more talent at WR. That, to me, addresses all of the problems this team has right now and helps us moving forward.