The Other DE possibility at 11

Phillip Merling. Probably the last wildcard of the draft. Hasn't been healthy to work out and because of this has been largely forgotten about by the media draft people. However, Sporting News has reported that while film study has hurt Gholston's stock, Merling's has been rising because his array of pass rush moves and consistent effort which shows up on film. It was only a few months ago (with no football played in the mean time and no workouts by Merling), that Merling was considered ahead of Harvey by many "draft experts."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=399407

I :thumbsup: 'll only take him if he is not a high motor guy and occasionally takes off plays.

Is it OK if he just has a 'non-stop' motor? :P

Link -NFL Draft Countdown

I'm hoping Merling is still there for the Bills at #11. Everything about this kid - speed, character, youth, size, etc. looks like he's a good fit for the Bills and will help at both stopping the run and pressuring opposing QBs...

NFL Draft Scout - Merling

Clemson's Phillip Merling

Also like Chris Brown's story about Merling forgoing his senior year to support his young daughter - the man has a sense of responsibility and maturity that you don't often see in someone so young...

Link

So there...my crusade to pick Merling at #11 continues...

19 and 0 baby!!! :lol:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Am I the only one concerned that the guy only recorded 12 sacks in 3 seasons at Clemson? In most cases, if a guy hasn't proven he can get to the QB in college, he probably won't do so in the pros, either. Example: Chris Kelsay.

Instead, he's a black guy with no moves.

This guy is a big, run stopping DE who isn't a sack man. We have enough of those already. Pass.

Harvey had a sack and a half more than he did. big whoop. And according to the article he has a lot of pass rushing moves, as opposed to some of the other DE prospects - Gholston specifically.

he doesn't have a ton of sacks in three years because he was playing behind Gaines Adams and this was his first opportunity for a lot of playing time.

Harvey had a sack and a half more than he did. big whoop.

he doesn't have a ton of sacks in three years because he was playing behind Gaines Adams and this was his first opportunity for a lot of playing time.

Wouldn't that benefit him? To have a guy that the offense keys on and double teams, leaving Merling 1-on-1 with the other team's second rated tackle?

I dunno, I think we should take Reshard Mendenhall.

He's a good character, high motor guy with excellent speed and he's not a reach at 11.

So what if we have two competant starters above him, let's take him!

Sure would piss off the Cowboys. Maybe enough to trade their #22 and 3rd Rounder for him.

He was a starter for all 13 games in 2006, as well as a starter in 2007. His bio from Clemson also states that he played on 271 snaps as a freshman, which is a fair amount.

He was a starter for all 13 games in 2006, as well as a starter in 2007. His bio from Clemson also states that he played on 271 snaps as a freshman, which is a fair amount.

my bad - I was going off of tackle stats which apparently weren't accurate from 2006.

my main point is he is never talked about and is nearly just as viable a prospect as Harvey but overlooked because he's been injured this offseason. Personally I don't think we're going DE in round 1, but Harvey isn't the only option out there if we do.

my bad - I was going off of tackle stats which apparently weren't accurate from 2006.

my main point is he is never talked about and is nearly just as viable a prospect as Harvey but overlooked because he's been injured this offseason. Personally I don't think we're going DE in round 1, but Harvey isn't the only option out there if we do.

I guess an injured DE is better than an injured WR. :thumbsup:

but why risk the #11 pick on an injured player who has not proven on the field that he has recovered when there are other options?

Wouldn't that benefit him? To have a guy that the offense keys on and double teams, leaving Merling 1-on-1 with the other team's second rated tackle?

he had Adams as a sophmore - Adams was a top 10 pick last year - so no help this year where he had a sack and a half less than Harvey

I guess an injured DE is better than an injured WR. :thumbsup:

but why risk the #11 pick on an injured player who has not proven on the field that he has recovered when there are other options?

his injury is a sports hernia - not like a destroyed knee or chronic joint issues.

regardless - if half this board wants us to go DE in the first - they should at least be talking about all the realistic options and not just stay fixated on one guy, Harvey