Gil Brandt said on Sirius radio that DE Derrick Harvey

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that a good pass rushing DE like Harvey makes that kind of defense work. I thought that I'd pass it along.

There are a lot of talking heads and then ther is Brandt. He picked 92 of the first 100 picks last year.

A DE is not our first priotiry though. It's WR/CB, WR/CB, TE, DE.

Seeing that Buffalo is locked in to the Cover 2 defense someone like Harvey makes it effective. There is more than one option for us at the #2 WR position and multiple ways to make this offense efficent but it wouldn't be able to accomplish enough without an effective defense. There is not alot of options for us after the our first pick to make this defense hit it's full potential.

A DE is not our first priotiry though. It's WR/CB, WR/CB, TE, DE.

I don't understand why CB is such of a concern. I would rate our DE's only SLIGHTLY better than our CBs. The addition of a freaky pass rusher would make our CBs better as well as our DTs. Cromartie is the only CB I would be absolutely pissed about getting. Harvey would be ideal, while a WR would be better then CB.

I don't understand why CB is such of a concern. I would rate our DE's only SLIGHTLY better than our CBs. The addition of a freaky pass rusher would make our CBs better as well as our DTs. Cromartie is the only CB I would be absolutely pissed about getting. Harvey would be ideal, while a WR would be better then CB.

At least SOMEBODY gets it.

A DE is not our first priority though. It's WR/CB, WR/CB, TE, DE.

A stud pass rusher off the edge makes every defensive back better. Even though DE may not be our top priority, if we can get a game changer at 11, I say we go for it. I remember the '02 draft when we picked a certain Off Tackle to fill a "need" while various draft guru's and fans were claiming Freeney was a reach at #4. Considering he was coming out of Syracuse during a push to regionalize the team, Freeney would have been an outstanding choice to bring some of the Syracuse faithful up I 90 for Bills games as well as give us a speed rusher; Polian nabs him at #11...we all know the rest from there. His speed rush helps validate a lot of what they do, and execute in that Indy Tampa 2 imo. Freeney's QB pressures do 1 of 2 things, or a combination of the following: 1) inflates the talent in the Indy D backfield, or 2) hides the weaknesses of those same defenders. Either way, pressuring the QB is paramount in any defense; in passing situations, the more we can get the opposing QB thinking of what's breathing down his neck from the back /blind side, the more he is likely to throw off his back foot, or release too early on deep drop passing routes to save his hide....see the Bruce Smith Buffalo Bills years...when the QB throws off his back foot from pressures, timing is thrown off, and zip is lost, so DB reactive "closing speed" isn't as critical and all of a sudden you have Larry Brown winning the Super Bowl MVP, yet not being resigned by the Cowboys the following year!

Just an opinion, but I don't mind Harvey at 11 if he drops to us.

He said that a good pass rushing DE like Harvey makes that kind of defense work.

What kind of defense DOESN'T want a good pass rushing DE?

If Harvey is there at #11 he has to be the pick..He is a game changer. Our DE are not very well gifted at the timely sack or the sack for that matter. Harvey seems to do that on a consistent basis..I think Schoebel and Kelsay are average DE's at best and an addition of Harvey makes our Defense alot better off..Our D was horrendous last yr and this would definatley get us on the way to the top of the d ranks...Obviously he wouldnt come in and leap to double digit sacks but he wouldnt be pressed into starting playing time either unless he was a freak.....

i mean i guess i would be fine with drafting Harvey but i really want a Big reciever like Thomas,Sweed,Kelly,and Hardy but do you think we would trade back into the first to get one of them and i would HATE getting Early Doucet he is just a bigger version of Josh Reed and no offense i like Josh Reed but come on he wouldnt be a Legit #2 WR and why would you hate drafting DRC, he is probably the best CB in the draft and he proved critics wrong that he hasnt played against top competition when he got Defensive MVP at the Senior Bowl come on man get real.......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008