Bob Johnson > RJ

I met a nice guy and talked with him on a two hour flight tonight. After talking about business for quite a while, our conversaion shifted to football. After a bit, he said he played professional football. I asked if he was a receiver, but he said no, he was a Center back when he played. After talking awhile he mentioned the Bengals, then later mentioned going to the pro bowl, and later still being drafted in the first round. Eventually he told me he was the first Bengal ever drafted (in 1968) and was pressed into duty as a player representative because they knew he'd make the team.

Anyway, he was a cool guy, and I connected with him as a person first, and secondarily as a football player, one I admittedly had never heard of before meeting him (and researching him a bit now that I'm back on line). Apparently Bob is the only Bengal to ever have his number retired (#54).

Anyway, our conversation was pretty mundane, but it was very cool to talk to an old NFL player. I still can't beleive I thought he was a receiver! I guess he did retire almost 30 years ago (1979) and the guys weren't nearly as big back then.

So, I know this is a bit of a LAMP. I just thought I'd come share my experience....

I met a nice guy and talked with him on a two hour flight tonight. After talking about business for quite a while, our conversaion shifted to football. After a bit, he said he played professional football. I asked if he was a receiver, but he said no, he was a Center back when he played. After talking awhile he mentioned the Bengals, then later mentioned going to the pro bowl, and later still being drafted in the first round. Eventually he told me he was the first Bengal ever drafted (in 1968) and was pressed into duty as a player representative because they knew he'd make the team.

Anyway, he was a cool guy, and I connected with him as a person first, and secondarily as a football player, one I admittedly had never heard of before meeting him (and researching him a bit now that I'm back on line). Apparently Bob is the only Bengal to ever have his number retired (#54).

Anyway, our conversation was pretty mundane, but it was very cool to talk to an old NFL player. I still can't beleive I thought he was a receiver! I guess he did retire almost 30 years ago (1979) and the guys weren't nearly as big back then.

So, I know this is a bit of a LAMP. I just thought I'd come share my experience....

Does he play flag football now? :D

Whew...for a second there I thought this story was going to go "Red Shoe Diaries" on us and end with a "Mile High" experience! :pirate::P;)

Just kidding! Great story though. the older generation of footballs had it all. Class, toughness and a pure love of the game.

When the Bengals were an expansion team, I remember watching them play at the Rockpile, with Greg Cook as QB. It was played during one of the worst snowstorms I have ever experienced while AT a game!

Thanks for sharing your story, pretty cool. :pirate:

BTW. He was pretty big Here are his numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...nBo01.htm?redir

The legendary Paul Brown...selected a Center as his first choice. There is a lesson there...

When the Bengals were an expansion team, I remember watching them play at the Rockpile, with Greg Cook as QB. It was played during one of the worst snowstorms I have ever experienced while AT a game!

You know, he specifically mentioned the Rockpile and said he remembered playing in the snow there, and that there was no heat in the locker room (wasn't sure if he was being literal).

He mentioned OJ, Kemp and Joe DeLamielleure as Bills he remembered (and a receiver Im lanking on).

It would be nice having a pro bowl center who would anchor the team for 11 years, wouldn't it?

He said he only got hurt once, when after snapping for a punt someone clipped him.

He also said he's close friends with Sam Wyche and they talk often. I of course started responding as though he said Dick Lebeau, and he quickly pointed out Sam worked with the offense and changed the subject... :rolleyes: oops.