Malcolm Kelly

I found this pretty interesting because everbody thinks M. Kelly will slide into the second round of the draft, but how about the third round = I'd take him there! <_<

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2008draftnews.html

Malcolm Kelly's poor pro day performance has not only dropped him out of the first round of the draft, but Kelly will likely slide past the second round as well. Kelly's numbers were worse than USC receiver Dwayne Jarrett's numbers from last year, and Jarrett fell to the 45th overall pick in the 2007 Draft and was chosen by the Panthers. Jarrett's forty time of 4.62 was better than Jarrett's pair of 4.68 and 4.75 times, as was his vertical jump of 36.5" compared to Kelly's 32", along with his 4.20 short shuttle compared to Kelly's 4.24 shuttle time. Kelly will also be downgraded for throwing his school and their medical staff under the bus after his workout. Kelly was graded as a second round pick by the NFL's advisory board committee when he applied for the draft back in January, but that was under the assumption that Kelly would run faster than his poor forty times on Wednesday. In my opinion, unless Kelly runs a much better forty time for an NFL team within the next two weeks, he won't come off the board any earlier than the early stages of the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

I found this pretty interesting because everbody thinks M. Kelly will slide into the second round of the draft, but how about the third round = I'd take him there! <_<

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2008draftnews.html

Malcolm Kelly's poor pro day performance has not only dropped him out of the first round of the draft, but Kelly will likely slide past the second round as well. Kelly's numbers were worse than USC receiver Dwayne Jarrett's numbers from last year, and Jarrett fell to the 45th overall pick in the 2007 Draft and was chosen by the Panthers. Jarrett's forty time of 4.62 was better than Jarrett's pair of 4.68 and 4.75 times, as was his vertical jump of 36.5" compared to Kelly's 32", along with his 4.20 short shuttle compared to Kelly's 4.24 shuttle time. Kelly will also be downgraded for throwing his school and their medical staff under the bus after his workout. Kelly was graded as a second round pick by the NFL's advisory board committee when he applied for the draft back in January, but that was under the assumption that Kelly would run faster than his poor forty times on Wednesday. In my opinion, unless Kelly runs a much better forty time for an NFL team within the next two weeks, he won't come off the board any earlier than the early stages of the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

It depends on who is left. A WR who can't run is a WR who can't run, regardless of round. Someone will take a chance in R3 or R4, I think, but I'm not sure it will be the Bills. They seem to avoid the guys who are in freefall on draft day.

His 40 time didn't scare me too much, because that's likely to improve as his injury heals ......and, well, I'm going to get shot for this but <whisper>40 times don't necessarily translate to great NFL players.</whisper>

Shhhhh.

His post run meltdown, however, scares me away for good. He can drop to the 7th round for all I care.

His 40 time didn't scare me too much, because that's likely to improve as his injury heals ......and, well, I'm going to get shot for this but <whisper>40 times don't necessarily translate to great NFL players.</whisper>

Shhhhh.

His post run meltdown, however, scares me away for good. He can drop to the 7th round for all I care.

No, a great 40 time doesn't make you a great player, but a terrible 40 can certainly make you a bad one. As I posted a day or two ago, the difference in 40 times for a pro athlete and an 18 year old kid off the street sounds surprisingly small, and it is, around .5 of a second, but put them on the field, and its enormous.

Regardless, I think its very likely that he'll post much better times in private workouts in the next two weeks.

Shhhhh.

I could not agree more with your point here. This guy ran bad forty times, and knew he would be able to inflate (or deflate in this case) the times on a faster surface; they put him on the more today-NFL surface, his times suffered, and the truth came out. He then goes and blasts the people that are busting their humps trying to make him a millionaire? His accountability factor is horrible, and this shows a serious lack of maturity....reminds me of Cleveland in '88 when Ronnie Harmon blames Jimbo for releasing the pass too late in the route, thus forcing him to have to concentrate too much on getting his feet in bounds, and eventually droppng the perfect pass and we don't advance....Does Oklahoma offer a Basket-Weaving degree like Iowa?

Sometimes these athletes make me wanna barf. <_<

I am always leery of these big,physical recievers that run slow times. For every Anquan Boldin it seems there's always 2 or 3 JJ Stokes or Mike Williams. I know 40 time isn't the ultimate measuremant of a reciever,but if a guy can't get separation he's a waste of a pick.

Shhhhh.

20 time is more of a accurate measurement in my opinion