It's official Malcolm Kelly is a complete joke.......

From Chris Brown of BB.com:

I would have had more respect if he put the blame on himself for a poor day, but to blame the school.......That cant translate good to any locker room, not being man enough to take the heat, throw it elsewhere.....And here I was a HUGE supporter for Kelly....not anymore......

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:50 PM ET | Link

MALCOLM KELLY BLAMING OU: Bad enough that Kelly did not perform as well as expected at his pro day when it came to his 40 times (4.68 and 4.75), but after the workout he blamed OU for his results saying they changed the location from Astroturf to Field Turf and he didn't know until this morning. That according to The Oklahoman.

"People want to say surface is surface, but it's a lot more to it than that," Kelly told The Oklahoman. "You have to think about how much ground time you have running on this mushy surface here and how much ground time you have on Astroturf. Just a little bit of time could mean a whole lot of draft money."

While he's right about losing a lot of money as he'll likely now be a second-round pick, Kelly should also realize that there are no astroturf fields in the league anymore. You might as well run on Field Turf which is the surface of more than half the fields in the league with the other fields being grass.

Blaming his workout on the school and the last minute venue change won't do much to win over NFL clubs. They're probably all flying back to their respective NFL cities wondering how Kelly will handle real adversity as a rookie in the NFL, if a last minute venue and surface change bugged him. Talent evaluators take the surface into account anyway. Even if he ran a faster time on astroturf, scouts would take it into account, knowing it's one of the faster surfaces and it's a surface that no longer exists in the NFL.

For what it's worth he's been widely reported to have done well on his receiving routes, but the 40 times will carry weight.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god. I think this solidifies us not drafting him. He seems to be the type of guy who implodes and becomes a bust at the next level.

I kinda owe you an apology......due to the fact you were one of a few stating to stay away from Kelly this entire time while I supported him. Sorry.....you were right I was wrong.

I think as far as WR goes for the Bills........Devin Thomas or James Hardy come to my mind.......

Here is a though....what if Kelly is there in round 2? Possibly 3 dare I say it......do we take him? Or do we just stay away period? Myself I say stay away period.

He's whining, but in a way, I don't blame him (although he should have known). Let the guy run where he wants and feels most comfortable. If the Bills or any other team don't feel that its a surface equal to what he'll run on in the NFL, they'll adjust his time, and everyone's happy.

You'd be pissed off too, if you thought it might cost you $5-10 millon.

I kinda owe you an apology......due to the fact you were one of a few stating to stay away from Kelly this entire time while I supported him. Sorry.....you were right I was wrong.

I think as far as WR goes for the Bills........Devin Thomas or James Hardy come to my mind.......

Here is a though....what if Kelly is there in round 2? Possibly 3 dare I say it......do we take him? Or do we just stay away period? Myself I say stay away period.

I appreciate that but there's no need to apologize. We're cool. We just see things differently, granted sometimes I see things through a cloud of bong smoke so there are plenty o times I have been and will be wrong.

Just that you posted that says to me you're a good dude.

So from one good dude to another... :thumbsup:

He's whining, but in a way, I don't blame him (although he should have known). Let the guy run where he wants and feels most comfortable. If the Bills or any other team don't feel that its a surface equal to what he'll run on in the NFL, they'll adjust his time, and everyone's happy.

Poor baby can't run on the service that he's best on. News to Malcom: You'll have to run on multiple different surfaces in the NFL.

I appreciate that but there's no need to apologize. We're cool. We just see things differently, granted sometimes I see things through a cloud of bong smoke so there are plenty o times I have been and will be wrong.

Just that you posted that says to me you're a good dude.

So from one good dude to another... :thumbsup:

Whos on your list for WR's for this team now? Buffalos say it wants size.......Id have to say Hardy or Sweed.....

I'd cut him a little slack. He's gotta be really frustrated for not doing as well as he wanted to (also the fact that he's very upset may show that he had been running better before, since blaming the school doesn't seem like an excuse you would formulate ahead of time if you knew you weren't going to run well)- and if he'd been preparing on a different surface and it was a last minute change, he has some right to be upset.

His mistake though was not keeping it to himself though rather than airing it directly to the media. Have his agent contact clubs about the turf issue and maybe arrange private workouts with teams.

Whos on your list for WR's for this team now? Buffalos say it wants size.......Id have to say Hardy or Sweed.....

I'd like Sweed if we stay at 11 and draft a WR. If we move down into the 16-20 range then Thomas and 22 and down Hardy.

I like Hardy the most for talent although character is in question. Thats the only reason he's 3rd on my list. Thomas seems to have more talent then Sweed but Sweed might be the complete package with his consistancy and good character.

I totally agree. This doesn't mean he has bad character. Imagine if you just found out you weren't going to make a ton of more money because you had to run on a surface you weren't accustomed too. Give the guy a break. This is his livelihood we are talking about

His attitude might end up costing him more than that. Just sayin'...

I'd cut him a little slack. He's gotta be really frustrated for not doing as well as he wanted to (also the fact that he's very upset may show that he had been running better before, since blaming the school doesn't seem like an excuse you would formulate ahead of time if you knew you weren't going to run well)- and if he'd been preparing on a different surface and it was a last minute change, he has some right to be upset. His mistake though was not keeping it to himself though rather than airing it directly to the media. Have his agent contact clubs about the turf issue and maybe arrange private workouts with teams.

Id be the first person to cut anyone some slack, but when you agent sends out a letter to all NFL teams talking up his client and how well he will do at his Pro Day.....and failed.....I think its very laughable.

I'd cut him a little slack. He's gotta be really frustrated for not doing as well as he wanted to (also the fact that he's very upset may show that he had been running better before, since blaming the school doesn't seem like an excuse you would formulate ahead of time if you knew you weren't going to run well)- and if he'd been preparing on a different surface and it was a last minute change, he has some right to be upset.

His mistake though was not keeping it to himself though rather than airing it directly to the media. Have his agent contact clubs about the turf issue and maybe arrange private workouts with teams.

I agree with you completely. As long as he just aired his concern to the scouts over it and didn't act like a whiny B word, he'll probably be fine. Just let the guy run where he wants. There's no harm in it. Teams have always adjusted 40s based on varying surfaces and conditions.

I suspect that individual teams will give him that opportunity and he'll run much better.

I think what Lori means is there are different ways he could have gone about saying the same thing. He came off as whiny, talking about money and placing blame. He could have simply noted that he had been practicing on a different surface and he thought the change might have skewed the numbers a bit but then just asserted he has game speed. Instead he chose to throw other people under the bus, not a good character trait.