Alright, here's a trade scenario that should make all the

The Eagles are looking to move up in the draft from the #19 pick to somewheres around the #9 or #10 slot by using CB Lito Shepard as a bargaining chip. Swapping positions with the Eagles from that area of the draft would equate to about the value of a mid 2nd rd pick. If Derrick Harvey is off the board by the time we pick then I could see the value in swapping with the Eagles and taking the best available WR with the #19 pick and aquiring Shepard in the process. The compensation would be fair, getting a WR at #19 instead of the #11 pick would be a better value and addressing another potential need in our secondary would make good sense. If that were to happen would that make everybody happy?

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/inde....xml&coll=5

If we really want to get creative then we could still trade back into the 1st rd and also draft DE Phillip Merling. He has the versatility to play DE or DT in a 4/3 defense. Now that would be addressing a whole bunch of concerns.

Would anybody be mad if we landed up with Devin Thomas, Lito Shepard and Phillip Merling before the 1st rd concluded?

Yeah baby! Go Bills!

I'm all about making trades but we really have a good, solid nucleus that just needs a few important pieces. Trading one of our players other than Losman, and I'm not too sure if that's a great idea but based on the situation and compensation would be the determining factors, would be more of a setback. Getting rid of one of our recivers who is very familiar with our personnel and then trading for one who doesn't really isn't too appealing to me. I'd rather trade for a proven veteran for a position of need of ours than just swap recievers and a 3rd rder.

The only trading that I would like to see with Minnesota is us trading our 2nd rd pick (#41) and Losman to them for the #17 pick. Other than that we can just stand pat.

The Eagles are looking to move up in the draft from the #19 pick to somewheres around the #9 or #10 slot by using CB Lito Shepard as a bargaining chip. Swapping positions with the Eagles from that area of the draft would equate to about the value of a mid 2nd rd pick. If Derrick Harvey is off the board by the time we pick then I could see the value in swapping with the Eagles and taking the best available WR with the #19 pick and aquiring Shepard in the process. The compensation would be fair, getting a WR at #19 instead of the #11 pick would be a better value and addressing another potential need in our secondary would make good sense. If that were to happen would that make everybody happy?

We just have to worry about his contract situation. That trade scenario wouldn't be half bad. We could get Thomas. :unsure:

I'm all about making trades but we really have a good, solid nucleus that just needs a few important pieces. Trading one of our players other than Losman, and I'm not too sure if that's a great idea but based on the situation and compensation would be the determining factors, would be more of a setback. Getting rid of one of our recivers who is very familiar with our personnel and then trading for one who doesn't really isn't too appealing to me. I'd rather trade for a proven veteran for a position of need of ours than just swap recievers and a 3rd rder.

The only trading that I would like to see with Minnesota is us trading our 2nd rd pick (#41) and Losman to them for the #17 pick. Other than that we can just stand pat.

I wouldn't mind working something out and getting Matt Birk. He could really help this team.

Reaching for a WR (20+ best player at 11 is a big reach) out of desperation and need and passing on higher rated players for a team with one of the worst Os and worst Ds in the entire NFL, and in a draft where similar WR talent will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and knowing a rookie WR almost never has a huge impact, and knowing that outside of RB the WR position is the easiest place to find talent overall, well, it does have a certain morbid curiosity attraction to it.

I wouldn't mind working something out and getting Matt Birk. He could really help this team.

Dick Jauron wouldn't get along with Birk. That intense yale/harvard rivalry would get in the way. I heard DJ forced Marv Levy out the door for that very reason. They would often get in intense arguments while watching crew and fencing.

He's a good player, but not great and I think he wants a new contract (doesn't everybody?). I still think we get better at CB by adding a DE and drafting a CB later on in the draft and I know it's cheaper that way.

since we pick 11 in order to equal the middle of round two (the link was referring to the 9th or 10th choice which has obvious greater value) we would need to throw in our own 4th round pick (we would still have a compensatry choice later in round) and then per the draft guide it would equal the 15 pick in the second round...sure he might want a contract, but obviously Bills have some relationship since we made the spikes deal with them..it make sense for all sides since the offensive tackle they desparately need will go soon after the Bills pick at 11.. the josh reed thing is just plain stupid

I thought someone else said that before...

A guy wrote me at DraftTek suggesting this trade. He was thinking it was a way to get a former RD#1 cornerback who is pretty good at the things we ask a corner to do, plus take the WR. Hadn't thought of trading back in for Merling.

Here's something Modrak said:

"For example, the kid at Clemson, Phillip Merling (defensive end) has had hernia surgery and I don't know when he's going to be able to run," said Modrak. "We're going to go with what we saw on tape if he can't run or test before the draft. You'd love to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted because it gives you a clearer picture, but Willis McGahee is a great example. He didn't do any real testing before the draft and we knew we'd have to sit him for a year and he went to Hawaii this year. So it's not catastrophic if a guy can't test." Source

Here's something Modrak said:

"For example, the kid at Clemson, Phillip Merling (defensive end) has had hernia surgery and I don't know when he's going to be able to run," said Modrak. "We're going to go with what we saw on tape if he can't run or test before the draft. You'd love to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted because it gives you a clearer picture, but Willis McGahee is a great example. He didn't do any real testing before the draft and we knew we'd have to sit him for a year and he went to Hawaii this year. So it's not catastrophic if a guy can't test." Source

Thanks for that quote as I had no clue it existed. Also - I admire your manlove for Kelly.

• 2 weeks later...

If we really want to get creative then we could still trade back into the 1st rd and also draft DE Phillip Merling. He has the versatility to play DE or DT in a 4/3 defense. Now that would be addressing a whole bunch of concerns.

Would anybody be mad if we landed up with Devin Thomas, Lito Shepard and Phillip Merling before the 1st rd concluded?

Yeah baby! Go Bills!

It looks to be more and more of a real possibility.

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appmanage...t_Story_1920875