Derrick Harvey shold be a Lock at 11

marck

That's probably true. Then again, Kelsay did tie a career low in terms of sacks and was playing on a problematic ankle much of the year. Denney wasn't healthy at any point in the year, also setting a career low in sacks. I've criticized the entire group as much as anyone over the years, but I also don't think that last year was entirely indicative of their ability. All three guys have proven in the past that they're fully capable of adding 3-4 sacks to their totals from last year.

As for Harvey being an upgrade, I think he might be. Then again, the guys taken in R1 last year sure didn't do much. Gaines Adams had 6 sacks. The next four guys off the board had 6 sacks combined. If the Bills do draft him, don't expect miracles out of him as a rookie. I would expect 2-4 sacks from Harvey in 2008 if he joins this team. That's about average for a rookie DE in R1 over the last several years.

His sacks alone won't be the true measuring stick.

Harvey's biggest attribute is his very quick first step.

This will allow him to penetrate the pocket by splitting gaps and forcing OL to change their assignments thus freeing up other players to do more damage.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, I'd be happy if the Bills used their 1st rounder on whichever prospect was worth the 11th pick. The exception, of course, would be to not draft the few positions we don't need a 1st rounder, like RB or QB. If their 1st rounder happens to be DE, WR, C, LB, or CB, so be it. As long as that person was the best available of all of our need positions. No shat, you say? Well, as simple a philosophy as it is, some teams can't seem to follow it.

The Bills don't need a QB? They have Edwards who has proven he can get injured EVEY YEAR, nothing else. They have Losman (so far) only signed for 1 more year. Last and least they have Hamden. If Matt Ryan were there when the Bills pick, they should absolutely draft him. He will probably be gone, so I would not be surprised to see the Bills pick a QB anywhere from round 2 to 5.

Again it raises the question, do we take the best talent available or do we draft for need.

I'm not sure its quite that simple. I think you also have to weigh the available players in R2-7, the immediate impact of any player picked in R1, your ability to fill all need positions with *quality* prospects, the players on the roster and whether they have any upside, how much you already have invested at that position, the grade discrepancy between the 'talent' player and the 'need' player....and the list goes on.

The Bills don't need a QB? They have Edwards who has proven he can get injured EVEY YEAR, nothing else. They have Losman (so far) only signed for 1 more year. Last and least they have Hamden. If Matt Ryan were there when the Bills pick, they should absolutely draft him. He will probably be gone, so I would not be surprised to see the Bills pick a QB anywhere from round 2 to 5.

If by injured every year you mean he missed a couple of games in his rookie year, I guess you are correct.

Again it raises the question, do we take the best talent available or do we draft for need.

For what it's worth, Chris Brown was on NFL Network's "Path To The Draft" a couple days ago and He seemed to feel the Bills would either take the BPA at a Need position or Trade Down for a WR...He did not feel the Bills would take a WR at #11 Overall cause the value is not there...I'm not saying He knows for certain, and I'm sure The Bills don't want CB out there giving the farm away...just saying...

My best guess is the Bills will TRY to Trade Down a few spots but end up taking Devin Thomas in Round 1 no matter what Pick it is...Just what My gut is telling Me...

Also, when asked about WR's the first name out of Brown's mouth was Devin Thomas... :censored:

For what it's worth, Chris Brown was on NFL Network's "Path To The Draft" a couple days ago and He seemed to feel the Bills would either take the BPA at a Need position or Trade Down for a WR...He did not feel the Bills would take a WR at #11 Overall cause the value is not there...I'm not saying He knows for certain, and I'm sure The Bills don't want CB out there giving the farm away...just saying...

My best guess is the Bills will TRY to Trade Down a few spots but end up taking Devin Thomas in Round 1 no matter what Pick it is...Just what My gut is telling Me...

Also, when asked about WR's the first name out of Brown's mouth was Devin Thomas... :censored:

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Devin Thomas may not be overly tall, but he is significantly bigger and more physical than what they have now, while also retaining much of the overall short-area quickness and separation ability that they're probably looking for in this dink and dunk passing game. Athletically, I think he's by far the best fit of all the taller WRs in this draft and based on athletic talent alone, I definitely think he's worth the pick. Factor in only one year of production, however, and it becomes a lot less clear.

But again, it wouldn't suprise me at all, and if he pans out, I think he could be one of the better WRs in the league.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Devin Thomas may not be overly tall, but he is significantly bigger and more physical than what they have now, while also retaining much of the overall short-area quickness and separation ability that they're probably looking for in this dink and dunk passing game. Athletically, I think he's by far the best fit of all the taller WRs in this draft and based on athletic talent alone, I definitely think he's worth the pick. Factor in only one year of production, however, and it becomes a lot less clear.

But again, it wouldn't suprise me at all, and if he pans out, I think he could be one of the better WRs in the league.

I'll tell you this much...I don't watch tape like I used to, but what I have seen of Thomas gets Me REAL excited...I mean REAL excited...I see some Dre in that Kid only faster...He does not like to go down on initial contact and He's got that snap burst in the open field that will scare the bejesus out of opposing Defenses...Right now many Scouts are listing Limus Sweed as the #1 WR available in 08, but I think Thomas has twice the upside as Sweed...Don't get me wrong, I like Sweed quite a bit...But LS goes down WAY too much on initial contact while Thomas is more compact, physical and definitely gets better seperation due to his excellent speed...I think Thomas' Game projects better to the NFL and he would help The Bills on ST's from Day 1...Both Sweed and Thomas are very good at the jump ball and getting body position on the DB...But Sweed LOVES to do that give up yards to get yards move that drives Me nuts with WR's...Especially with 6-4 WR's who don't break a ton of tackles...

I know it's not the popular opinion, especially among the "experts," but I'd take Thomas at #11 assuming The Bills can't Trade Down a few spots and still land him...You never know for certain, but that Kid looks pretty special to Me...:censored: