A little help from the dads of TBD...

Bullpen

That's pretty much how I'll deal with it once he either A: gets tired of it or B: gets cut from the JV or Varsity squad.

Thing is, they are opening a new high school in our neighborhood next year that he'll go to and they will "gradually" build their academic and athletic programs as the years progress, so each year he'll be in the highest grade. IE: 09 they'll only go up to 10th grade, 10 they'll go up to 11th grade, etc... so there is a good chance the sports program will also build accordingly and he will continue to "make" the teams as he goes on. If so, it's a nice situation for a marginal athlete, but chances are, they will get there hats handed to them by "real" high schools. :lol:

Builds character. :lol:

Being on a HS team that sucks can still be a ton of fun, just because you are playing, hanging out with friends, etc. We started a new ice hockey team in HS, and i was one of 6 people on the team that had played organized ice hockey previously. We went 0-19, with 10 goals scored all season long. But i'll be damned if it wasnt a lot of fun. (however, i never expected to 2nd on the team in scoring with my 3 points. Team leader had 5.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he becomes really good they will

Don't you mean "if he becomes REALLY REALLY good they will?

Out of a graduating high school class of say 500 students how many athletic scholarships of any substance (meaning more than $1000) will be earned by athletes? Especially marginal athletes whose parents have invested well over $1000 in gear and trainers (as was described in the beginning)? :lol:

Yes, the very exceptional few will earn a scholarship with bragging rights.

Out of a graduating high school class of say 500 students how many athletic scholarships of any substance (meaning more than $1000) will be earned by athletes? Especially marginal athletes whose parents have invested well over $1000 in gear and trainers (as was described in the beginning)? :lol:

In my daughters freshman year in HS, her HS won the state championship. 17 seniors, 12 got full rides at div I schools. That's just football. Same token, at a different school now. The current FB team only has one senior with a scholarship. But the baseball team has at least 4 guys I know with Div I scholarships.

The truth is that is very VERY hard to get one of those scoly's.......even if it is to a division lower then division one.....

And there are a lot of factors in play to......the part that I cant stand is the politics of the whole thing......it is a nasty business when it comes to that part of it.

Best to have a plan B just in case

The truth is that is very VERY hard to get one of those scoly's.......even if it is to a division lower then division one.....

And there are a lot of factors in play to......the part that I cant stand is the politics of the whole thing......it is a nasty business when it comes to that part of it.

Best to have a plan B just in case

The thing that I have found is it depends on the sport, your resourcefulness and luck...my son plays basketball...he's pretty good, but his HS team is average...although he starts varsity (he's 15), his real exposure occurs after the school's season is over. He plays on an AAU team out of Hartford and travels around the state and NE. His team is damn good and he sticks out like a sore thumb, a short, white, point guard...he loves his teammates and he loves the game, he's obsessed with it and he works hard at it.

Along the way we found out about exposure events, pay 40-50 bucks and play 3-5 games with about 90+ kids from all over the NE, there are scouting services and DII and DIII coaches there...well, the first one last fall, he got a small blurb on a recruiting service website and one about 3 weeks ago he got a major write up and was labeled a "real prospect"...after a game at a tournament last week, a DIII coach approached his coach about him, got all his information, a head coach from a prep school wants him to come out next week for a work out/evaluation. We know that none of this means anything right now, he needs to continue to develop...blah, blah, blah...but what I'm getting at is it's a tremendous amount of luck, being in the right place at the right time, meeting the right people...but most of all it's about exposure....you have to be seen, and for some sports that pretty tough unless your school is a major force in the state.