Unusually blunt criticism of a top WR by his QB

"But like I told him, I said, 'Brandon, they're going to quit giving you chances and you're going to have to go somewhere else. And that's going to be a shame.'"

Marshall said last week that he realizes he has to grow up and that his freak injury was a wakeup call.

"His DUI was a wakeup call," Cutler retorted. "He's had many wakeup calls. I mean, he's been in [coach Mike] Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing: 'This is a wakeup call. This is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens.'"

Looks like tough love and a public intervention type deal.

I guess this was Cutler's last resort. Personally I don't think anyone should be called out in front of the media. I think you should always try and keep it in house. If you have some pointed criticism give it to the guy face to face. But reading the context of the article it sounds like this has already been tried so I guess this was the only option to take it to the media.

I guess this was Cutler's last resort. Personally I don't think anyone should be called out in front of the media. I think you should always try and keep it in house. If you have some pointed criticism give it to the guy face to face. But reading the context of the article it sounds like this has already been tried so I guess this was the only option to take it to the media.

I agree, but the media probably took it to Cutler, not the other way around. Looks like Marshall might not have many more chances.

If this were a Bills player half the people here would say he was throwing his teammate under the bus, and you never say those things in public, and he's being a bad role model.

I love what Cutler is saying because I'm sick of diva receivers (you would think Marshall would have learned his lesson because it sounds like he started the New Year's confrontation) and your QB needs to a leader. But there is something wrong about calling out a teammate in the press. Kelly did and basically started the Bickerin' Bills. You're men and professionals with big egos. If you have a problem, you should go to the teammate rather than a nerd with a tape recorder.

I love what Cutler is saying because I'm sick of diva receivers (you would think Marshall would have learned his lesson because it sounds like he started the New Year's confrontation) and your QB needs to a leader. But there is something wrong about calling out a teammate in the press. Kelly did and basically started the Bickerin' Bills. You're men and professionals with big egos. If you have a problem, you should go to the teammate rather than a nerd with a tape recorder.

Apparently he and Shanahan did, several times, and it didn't work. Marshall kept on saying this time i will be different. I have no problem at all with what Cutler did. I applaud it, in fact.

It was the exact right thing IMO.

If this were a Bills player half the people here would say he was throwing his teammate under the bus, and you never say those things in public, and he's being a bad role model.

Not in this situation, I agree with it.

The bickering Bills were caused by Kelly going off on House Ballard for one missed block that injured him. It was uncalled for. This is different. Jauron called out Wright last year for not preparing well enough for the games. I think he'd only do that after several times of talking to the player.

Like JP calling out FC after week 2 and everyone told him to shut up?

Sometimes the hypocracy on this board really pisses me off :lol::lol::lol:

not saying it was you specifically just stating my point

Like JP calling out FC after week 2 and everyone told him to shut up?

Sometimes the hypocracy on this board really pisses me off :lol::lol::lol:

not saying it was you specifically just stating my point

Sorry but that's a really bad comparison. The most insulting thing you can do is call out your coaches in the media. It is extremely disrespectful and gives the impression your coaches lack control over the situation. Imagine if FC came back and said something to the tune of "I'm sure Tom Brady would figure out how to move the ball with my plays." That would not be a good situation. I still think Cutler is wrong for going to the media, but calling out a teammate is a whole lot better than calling out a coach.

Sorry but that's a really bad comparison. The most insulting thing you can do is call out your coaches in the media. It is extremely disrespectful and gives the impression your coaches lack control over the situation. Imagine if FC came back and said something to the tune of "I'm sure Tom Brady would figure out how to move the ball with my plays." That would not be a good situation. I still think Cutler is wrong for going to the media, but calling out a teammate is a whole lot better than calling out a coach.

well i feel FC did have a lack of control over the situation. JMO