Fitna

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what does that have to do with Fitna? I agree that all religions have zealots. I agree that every religion, country, race, etc has periods that they should be ashamed of. But what about the film?

The film concludes with scrolling messages reading in part:

"The government insists that you respect Islam, but Islam has no respect for you" and "In 1945, Nazism was defeated in Europe. In 1989, communism was defeated in Europe. Now the Islamic ideology has to be defeated."

Again, The film used only excerpts from The Koran to spread fear, hate and misunderstanding.

(Just as one can easily do with The Bible)

The vast majority of Muslims reject extremism and violence.

Does it matter?

Yes, over the long term. It determines what, exactly, you are trying to fight.

Short term you aren't going to change anyone who is already a terrorist away from being one. But, for the long term, are you fighting a religion (as many people seem to believe we should be), or are you fighting something else?

and what does that have to do with Fitna? I agree that all religions have zealots. I agree that every religion, country, race, etc has periods that they should be ashamed of. But what about the film?

Fitna's argument is that the religion is causing terrorism.

Yes, over the long term. It determines what, exactly, you are trying to fight.

Short term you aren't going to change anyone who is already a terrorist away from being one. But, for the long term, are you fighting a religion (as many people seem to believe we should be), or are you fighting something else?

If in the short term your head is rolling down a flight of stairs, your perspective on the long term might change.

The film concludes with scrolling messages reading in part:

"The government insists that you respect Islam, but Islam has no respect for you" and "In 1945, Nazism was defeated in Europe. In 1989, communism was defeated in Europe. Now the Islamic ideology has to be defeated."

Again, The film used only excerpts from The Koran to spread fear, hate and misunderstanding.

(Just as one can easily do with The Bible)

The vast majority of Muslims reject extremism and violence.

Of course that's true but it can be a hard sell to some. You'd think the math would be enough to convince people; there are over 1 billion Muslims in the world. If they were all hell bent on destruction of the non-believing masses you'd have carnage everywhere.

As to your point in an earlier point about the religion causing terrorism or "something else." That's an important question for us and people all around the world. The vast majority of these Muslim terrorists are disaffected young men living in monarchies, dictatorships, or some other form of non-democratic government. Most live in countries with very high unemployment and little hope in the way of economic opportunities. Many live in vastly rich countries with huge disparities in how the wealth from those resources is distributed. Many also have lived entire lives in areas destroyed by routine terrorist acts and the reprisals for those acts. Compounding this is instant access to mass media messages and images.

Is it any wonder at all that these are the people targeted by these radical clerics? Is it a surprise that their message would APPEAL to this type of individual? That they could be so willing to embrace the message? Not if history is any indication.

It isn't the religion. It's twisting it to enlist those willing to believe the twisted message. In the end it's not about religion at all. It's just politics as usual.

It isn't the religion. It's twisting it to enlist those willing to believe the twisted message. In the end it's not about religion at all. It's just politics as usual.

If the last words you heard were "Praise Allah" before your head was used in a soccer game, my guess is that you might think religion has something to do with it.

If the last words you heard were "Praise Allah" before your head was used in a soccer game, my guess is that you might think religion has something to do with it.

I thought the head rolling joke was funny the first 3.5 times I read it just as Holcombe's Arm predicted it would be. But then I thought of my head being used in a soccer game when I've clearly stated in my last will that it only be used in Argentine polo matches and I became worried. I will demand of my Muslim captors that my head be sent to Arizona and placed next to Ted Williams' in a cryogenic container.

I thought the head rolling joke was funny the first 3.5 times I read it just as Holcombe's Arm predicted it would be. But then I thought of my head being used in a soccer game when I've clearly stated in my last will that it only be used in Argentine polo matches and I became worried. I will demand of my Muslim captors that my head be sent to Arizona and placed next to Ted Williams' in a cryogenic container.

I don't think they'll really give a crap about your cranial demands.

And I also don't think you'll consider it an accomplishment if your head picks up the 7-10 split at the Jazeera open.

A terrorist leader claims killing of non-muslims is legitimate. How is this news, exactly? :devil:

http://www.september11victims.com/septembe...ictims_list.htm

If one of these nut jobs had access to a nuclear weapon, and/or a bio weapon, and/or a chemical weapon- don't you think they would use it? 1.2 billion Muslims in the world. I suspect the majority are peace loving. But there are enough wackos with the means and wherewithal to acquire or create one. I worry about global security. Not just Muslims, but our foreign policy, North Korea, Soviet oligarchs, and other roque nations, etc

If one of these nut jobs had access to a nuclear weapon, and/or a bio weapon, and/or a chemical weapon- don't you think they would use it? 1.2 billion Muslims in the world. I suspect the majority are peace loving. But there are enough wackos with the means and wherewithal to acquire or create one. I worry about global security. Not just Muslims, but our foreign policy, North Korea, Soviet oligorths, and other roque nations, etc

Less than 5% of Muslims are radical. Less than 5% of Americans were on that list. Coincidence?

The dude is in college. Don't argue with him or he will continue to give you the intellectual slap down.

Less than 5% of Muslims are radical. Less than 5% of Americans were on that list. Coincidence?

The dude is in college. Don't argue with him or he will continue to give you the intellectual slap down.

I am sorry. That is right- 21 year olds know it all

If one of these nut jobs had access to a nuclear weapon, and/or a bio weapon, and/or a chemical weapon- don't you think they would use it? 1.2 billion Muslims in the world. I suspect the majority are peace loving. But there are enough wackos with the means and wherewithal to acquire or create one. I worry about global security. Not just Muslims, but our foreign policy, North Korea, Soviet oligarchs, and other roque nations, etc

I don't get where this response came from.

Your retreating into vagueness.

How is this vague?