Pass rusher in middle rounds

uhh bud there is no information on this kid it goes to Sports Illustrated subscription.........so ya and what about Brian Johnston DE from Gardner Webb he sounds like a freak of nature and could be a steal in the later rounds check him out........

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=68159

we could get him in the 4th-5th rounds

Not necessarily a speed rusher but a versatile player who can help the team as good backup with a lot of upside.

Jason Jones

DE | (6'5", 273, 4.78) | EASTERN MICHIGAN

Strengths: Quick enough to beat blockers to the point of contact and can hold ground against the run when lined up at end and plays with sound technique. Uses hands well, has long arms and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Keeps head up and does a nice job of locating the ball carrier when scraping down the line of scrimmage. Works from the snap to the whistle, takes sound pursuit angles and shows better range than 40-time suggests. Active pass rusher that moves well laterally and can set offensive tackles up to the outside before redirecting inside. Drives legs once in position, shows adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle and can slide inside in certain situations. Blocked a kick last year and can contribute on special teams. Has good bulk now and is tall enough to add weight without sacrificing agility.

Weaknesses: Lacks prototypical top-end speed for an end, frequently a step slow getting to the quarterback and should struggle to turn the corner at the next level. Doesn't have elite explosiveness either and isn't going to make as many plays in the backfield as did at the collegiate level. Fails to consistently get hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Plays too high, lacks elite lower body strength and can get driven back at times. Played at a small school, relies on natural ability a little too much at this point and could struggle making the adjustment to the NFL. Missed one game with a leg injury in 2006, missed one game with a leg injury in 2007 and durability is a concern.

Overall: Jones arrived at Eastern Michigan in 2004 and moved from tight end to the defensive line midway through his freshman season. He appeared in all 11 games, finishing the year with four receptions for 12 yards. Over the next two seasons (2005-'06), he made 22 starts and recorded 104 tackles (30.5 for losses), 10.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. As a senior, he appeared in all 12 games (11 starts) and had 70 tackles (19.5 for losses), 3.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a blocked kick. Jones primarily played defensive end for the Eagles, but also took reps at defensive tackle. He missed one game in '06 and one start in 2007 because of separate leg injuries. Jones doesn't have the initial burst or closing speed of an elite edge rusher and he's obviously going to face a much higher level of competition in the NFL so he has to sharpen his technique. That said he has the frame, toughness and motor to develop into an effective power end in a two-gap scheme so he projects as a late third or early fourth round pick.

The Bills like guys who can do more than one thing and with depth at DL a concern and needs on ST's. I think this guy makes the most sense for the team as it is right now.

Yeah, I have Jason Jones more of a 3-4 DE, a tweener who'd likely not be picked by the Bills. I have Johnson as the best later round DE who'll go around #132, but if we pick up an Ending- 4th Round compensatory pick this week, he'd be a good bet there. Chase Ortiz of TCU is my best bet 7th-UDFA pick. Great character and great quickness. His knock is that he's slim, but that's before he meets chicken wings.

With all that they've already invested in this DL, a middle rounder is what I'd expect this year. If they're disappointed with the results this upcoming season, maybe they might push the panic button, but I'd be suprised if they do it next month.

With all that they've already invested in this DL, a middle rounder is what I'd expect this year. If they're disappointed with the results this upcoming season, maybe they might push the panic button, but I'd be suprised if they do it next month.

I agree. I think we need a situational pass rusher, someone that can be found in the middle rounds, similar to guys like Elvis Dumervil, Trent Cole, Robert Mathis.

We definitely need a situational pass rusher. The middle rounds are definitely where we need to look to get that type of player. We put a lot of monay into strenghtening our D-Line, a nice edge rusher for obvious passing downs would be great.

Chris Brown seemed to think that DE was unlikely until the middle rounds as well.

That the same Chris Brown who reported that the Bills would not get any compensatory picks in the upcoming draft?

A DE @ 11 wouldn't surprise me as much as a WR @ 11 would.

It would be great to get help at the DE position. In my opinion, Kelsay is a backup at best. Schobel would be a great complimentary DE, like Hansen & Paup were to Bruce Smith. Hopefully with Stroud & Johnson at DT, that will help out our DE's this year.