Deepest D in the league?

Matthew (Buffalo, New York): I've heard talk about moving Dante Whitner to free safety to allow him to make more plays but doesn't this cut Ko Simpson another VERY GOOD player out of the mix?

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:46 PM ET ) Matthew, the Bills injuries last year allowed some of the backups to showcase their skills. Buffalo may have the deepest set of defensive talent of any team in the league because of this, and I think they are going to be willing to make some moves they otherwise wouldn't be willing to make. Simpson as a strong backup would be quite a plus for any team.

Matthew (Buffalo, New York): I guess that is true some guys such as George Wilson, Jim Leonard and John DiGorgio really stepped up but then who do we plug in at SS? Wilson? The draft?

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:49 PM ET ) I could see Wilson in that role.

Jauron gets the most out of defensive players.

Offense is another story.

But they won't dominate on defense until they get some pass rushers , which is what they should use their top pick on.

If they play to his strength as a coach and get the pass rusher(s) they need the Bills will compete.

Jauron gets the most out of defensive players.

Offense is another story.

But they won't dominate on defense until they get some pass rushers , which is what they should use their top pick on.

If they play to his strength as a coach and get the pass rusher(s) they need the Bills will compete.

I think the Bills D did a great job last year considering what they had to work with. Injuries were devastating. Guys stepped it up and made plays. The offense not doing it's job had to be pretty demoralizing. I know it was heart breaking to watch.

I agee we need some pass rushing and some run stuffing abilities. Hopefully the pick ups in the off season will pan out.

GoooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooOOOO Bills!!

I think the Bills D did a great job last year considering what they had to work with. Injuries were devastating. Guys stepped it up and made plays. The offense not doing it's job had to be pretty demoralizing. I know it was heart breaking to watch.

I agee we need some pass rushing and some run stuffing abilities. Hopefully the pick ups in the off season will pan out.

GoooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooOOOO Bills!!

I'm not banking too much on these free agent pickups .

Delrio came right out and said that Stroud won't be the player he was in the past.

I think they'll be improved but they need pass rushers.

Bills may have depth and a lot of backups

but they are severely lacking in front line playmakers and difference makers that teams have to gameplan around.

When teaams consistently block your top pass rusher with a single guy, you know the fear factor is quite low.

Yeah, and if they based points on how many yards you accumulate, that might actually matter. Last year, I saw a defense that stayed in several games last year in which the offense could contribute next to nothing all day long. I'd say they were an above average defensive unit, and thats WITHOUT Poz, Simpson, Crowell for a time, Ellison for a time, Denney, Stroud and Kawika.

Perhaps this season, they will astound one and all by blitzing...a...bit...more. Spice it up a bit, eh? :unsure:

What they are getting at is that although the players on our team are backup-caliber talent, they all saw the field last year due to the injuries. Does that make them pro bowl caliber players all of a sudden? No. But it does give them valuable in game experience which will help the overall defense this year. These guys won't be nervous if they are pressed into action this year to give guys a breather or take over because of an injury. That is what real depth is, guys who are willing, ready and able to step in a make some plays when called upon. Some of you guys are looking at this the wrong way.

What they are getting at is that although the players on our team are backup-caliber talent, they all saw the field last year due to the injuries. Does that make them pro bowl caliber players all of a sudden? No. But it does give them valuable in game experience which will help the overall defense this year. These guys won't be nervous if they are pressed into action this year to give guys a breather or take over because of an injury. That is what real depth is, guys who are willing, ready and able to step in a make some plays when called upon. Some of you guys are looking at this the wrong way.

:thumbsup:

When he said "King", I immediately thought he meant Justin King, who is the Penn State CB who runs 4.3 and will be our 3rd Round pick. :thumbsup:

No team wants to make quick decisions offensively. It's defensive pressure that forces the hand of the QB. A 4-man DT rotation and a 4-man DE rotation can bring it better than 2 DE's and 2 DT's. We need one more DT and one more DE to make that possible, and I believe they can come from the draft even if we don't take one in Rounds 1 and 2.

DT Round 3: Red Bryant; Round 4: Andre Fluellen; Round 5: Carlton Powell; Round 6: Frank Okam / Nick Hayden / Keilen Dykes; Round 7: Derek Lokey.

DE Round 3: Chris Ellis; Round 5: Brian Johnston/ Chris Harrison; Round 7: Marcus Howard.

I'd say they were an above average defensive unit

I guess that would make them the very first "above average” in league history who were:

Dead last in yards allowed.

Dead last in 3rd downs allowed.

Next to last in sacks per pass play faced.

Next to last in sack yardage.

The good news might be that they were 4th in total tackles- putting them in the same company as Detroit, the Jets and the 49ers.

I'm not banking too much on these free agent pickups .

Delrio came right out and said that Stroud won't be the player he was in the past.

I think they'll be improved but they need pass rushers.

Have Faith m -man. Stroud was injured, tried coming back too soon & wasn't well. He may not be the BEAST he used to be but will be a HUGE upgrade. Delrio was dilusional & now since Stroud left is desperately trying to replace him. Didn't want to pay the bonus & is looking to get younger on defense. A business move. I think you'll be a bit surprised w/ our D. Definitely far Better.

I guess that would make them the very first "above average” in league history who were:

The good news might be that they were 4th in total tackles- putting them in the same company as Detroit, the Jets and the 49ers.

Yes, they were indeed the first above average defense to do those things. And go figure! They didn't have to carry 28 former first round defensive tackles to do it...

Deepest roster of mediocore talent in the league. Go Bills.

Yep.

Just because your fodder got some playing time doesn't mean they are suddenly quality players. :D

:) Some new definition of average, eh? So, the 32nd ranked defense is apparently "average" meaning that the Bills defense is "above average". :thumbsup:

This newspeak stuff can be confusing at first, but it can be learned. :)

Yep.

Just because your fodder got some playing time doesn't mean they are suddenly quality players. :censored:

:devil: Some new definition of average, eh? So, the 32nd ranked defense is apparently "average" meaning that the Bills defense is "above average". :)

This newspeak stuff can be confusing at first, but it can be learned. :P

Jauron apologists are great at that.

7-9 win /loss record? Average/good

A team that finished near the bottom in nearly every offense and defense statistical category? One or two players away from dominating.

It is only a matter of time before they start latching onto this 'below average' defense is actually 'above average'.

Deepest D in the league? What a joke. Guys like Wilson, DiGorgio, and Leonard would not even make the roster on some other teams. Moreover, some of the players because of injuries were free agents that no one wanted. The talking heads think the defense was deep in talent because there was no dropoff because of injuries. There wasn't any dropoff because they were already one of the worst in the league.