an idea for the sabres!

I will still contend last year was a fluke as much as this year is... Still the same probs on PP. Heck, even on shootsouts, how many Sabres games ended because MILLER couldn't push it to another shoot column?

The shootout struggles are a two-way street. We have exactly one - ONE - guy who has scored more than one goal in the shootout, and the team collectively is an impressive 8-34 on SO attempts this year - an amazing 24% success rate.

Miller's SO struggles are well-documented, but the shooters have also painted him into a "gotta be perfect" corner on more than one occasion.

Guess who would help with the SO? Nah, too easy.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shootout struggles are a two-way street. We have exactly one - ONE - guy who has scored more than one goal in the shootout, and the team collectively is an impressive 8-34 on SO attempts this year - an amazing 24% success rate.

Miller's SO struggles are well-documented, but the shooters have also painted him into a "gotta be perfect" corner on more than one occasion.

Guess who would help with the SO? Nah, too easy.

Of course he would have helped... Still doesn't mean the Sabres could have afforded him and the other players... Even if he wasn't fibbing about staying.

Why don't people just admit... Both players wanted NO part in staying in BFLO... Briere after pouting on the road in his hotel room with the "flu" when roomy Marty was traded... It was a done deal!

Sure, revisionist history... But, looking back and seeing the signs... There was no possibilty they were staying anyway...

Some really act like the "jilted" lover that couldn't see the writing on the wall... Even in retrospect!

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!

:)<_<

How people still think that these two men and the Sabres could have "made it work" is beyond me... Let's see it for what it is!

Of course he would have helped... Still doesn't mean the Sabres could have afforded him and the other players... Even if he wasn't fibbing about staying.

Why don't people just admit... Both players wanted NO part in staying in BFLO... Briere after pouting on the road in his hotel room with the "flu" when roomy Marty was traded... It was a done deal!

Sure, revisionist history... But, looking back and seeing the signs... There was no possibilty they were staying anyway...

Some really act like the "jilted" lover that couldn't see the writing on the wall... Even in retrospect!

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!

How people still think that these two men and the Sabres could have "made it work" is beyond me... Let's see it for what it is!

Come on E. Most of us realize that the contracts Dru and DB got in NY and Philly would not have worked in our salary structure. But the FO did nothing to replace what those guys brought to the team - an ability to score in clutch situations, veteran leadership, the ability to make guys around them better - and this team was clearly worse for it.

Considering how much you are trying to convince everyone of Danny's bad +/- (a completely overrated and misused stat) and how he wouldn't have helped it's really you who sounds like the jilted lover.

Come on E. Most of us realize that the contracts Dru and DB got in NY and Philly would not have worked in our salary structure. But the FO did nothing to replace what those guys brought to the team - an ability to score in clutch situations, veteran leadership, the ability to make guys around them better - and this team was clearly worse for it.

Considering how much you are trying to convince everyone of Danny's bad +/- (a completely overrated and misused stat) and how he wouldn't have helped it's really you who sounds like the jilted lover.

Lets just see who wins the Cup!

<_<:doh:

I'm still waiting for Ryan Miller to win a game that matters. You can cite the Sabres style all you want...The fact is, for three full NHL seasons, he has had the benefit of playing behind one of the league's premier offenses. Like the team, he has been among the league leaders in wins (and don't forget, even Marty Biron won 13 straight games at one point in '05), but the rest of his stats have been below-average. This year, he is 8th in wins, but has the 3rd-most losses. His GAA ranks 22nd, and his save percentage ranks 26th. He was ranked in the bottom half of the NHL in those stats last year also (20th in GAA, 16th in SV %.) Of the 87 goalies who have appeared in the NHL this season, Miller ranks 86th with 183 goals allowed.

In 2006, the Sabres entered the 3rd period of the ECF game 7 with a 2-1 lead. Last night, in a must-win game, the Sabres were up 3-1 with 10 minutes left. The team did not get the job done in front of him, and Miller was not there to bail them out.

He is not the major reason for the Sabres collapse from Cup-contender into an also-ran. That blame lies in the front office. But the perpetuating myth that Ryan Miller is an elite NHL goaltender is a hoax.

Lets just see who wins the Cup!

<_<:doh:

Well, right now, they have better odds than Buffalo...

...but not as good as the bleu, blanc, et rouge! Go Habs Go!

I'm still waiting for Ryan Miller to win a game that matters. You can cite the Sabres style all you want...The fact is, for three full NHL seasons, he has had the benefit of playing behind one of the league's premier offenses. He has been among the league leaders in wins, but the rest of his stats have been below-average. This year, he is 8th in wins, but has the 3rd-most losses. His GAA ranks 22nd, and his save percentage ranks 26th. He was ranked in the bottom half of the NHL in those stats last year also (20th in GAA, 16th in SV %.) Of the 87 goalies who have appeared in the NHL this season, Miller ranks 86th with 183 goals allowed.

In 2006, the Sabres entered the 3rd period of the ECF game 7 with a 2-1 lead. Last night, in a must-win game, the Sabres were up 3-1 with 10 minutes left. The team did not get the job done in front of him, and Miller was not there to bail them out.

He is not the major reason for the Sabres collapse from Cup-contender into an also-ran. That blame lies in the front office. But the perpetuating myth that Ryan Miller is an elite NHL goaltender is a hoax.

You said it yourself in the first parapragh - he plays behind one of the most prolific offenses in the league, but that's not a result of the Sabres hoarding offensive talent. That's the wide-open, attacking system that they play - they don't ask Miller to win games on his own, they ask him to keep the team in the game until the offense can get going.

I think Ryan has also wilted under the extra work down the stretch (thanks for nothing, T-bo :)) as you can see his numbers climbing in Feb and March. He could really use a night or two off. Lindy gambled that playing T-Bo was a risk they couldn't take, but now you have a clearly tired goalie trying to keep his team in games.

I think most realize that Miller is not elite - not yet. I really feel he can be the shutdown-type goalie that others are if the Sabres committed to a more defensive-minded system and had defensemen who ACTUALLY PLAYED DEFENSE. Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

By the way, I've only seen one other stat as misrepresented as the "86th in goals allowed" stat you just quoted - nicely done.

You said it yourself in the first parapragh - he plays behind one of the most prolific offenses in the league, but that's not a result of the Sabres hoarding offensive talent. That's the wide-open, attacking system that they play - they don't ask Miller to win games on his own, they ask him to keep the team in the game until the offense can get going.

I think Ryan has also wilted under the extra work down the stretch (thanks for nothing, T-bo :P) as you can see his numbers climbing in Feb and March. He could really use a night or two off. Lindy gambled that playing T-Bo was a risk they couldn't take, but now you have a clearly tired goalie trying to keep his team in games.

I think most realize that Miller is not elite - not yet. I really feel he can be the shutdown-type goalie that others are if the Sabres committed to a more defensive-minded system and had defensemen who ACTUALLY PLAYED DEFENSE. Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

By the way, I've only seen one other stat as misrepresented as the "86th in goals allowed" stat you just quoted - nicely done.

Sweet, more excuses for Miller. Please quote the "imagine how productive Connolly would be if he just stayed healthy" line in your next post.

I realize the Sabres are not the Devils (thank God) and do not play a suffocating style. However, Montreal's rookie goaltender has had no trouble playing behind a wide-open style. I have seen nothing but average goaltending from Miller for two straight years. His "wins" stat has been impressive because he has had the luxury of 4 or 5 goals of support. He has been hung out to dry, maybe more often than most goalies, but isn't that a function of "being good?" His team trusts him to bail them out when they falter in front of him? He has not bailed them out too often.

FWIW, Miller has played 71 games this year. Kiprusoff from Calgary, Nabakov from SJ, and Brodeur from NJ have all played 71 or more. All of those teams are playoff teams. Behind Miller are Luongo with 67 GP and Lundqvist with 66. Those guys aren't tired, but Miller is???

How is the 86th in goals allowed misrepresented??? There are 87 goalies with a stat line this year. Miller has allowed 183 shots past him, the second most in the league. Take it for what it's worth....But the number doesn't lie. His breakaway troubles, formerly one of his strengths, is troubling also, and a major reason why the Sabres are currently out of the playoff picture.

I like Miller. Hopefully they sign him. But are we REALLY going to spend five more years blaming the system, the defense, the coaching, the backup, the ice, the lighting, and the weather for Miller's 17th ranked GAA and 20th ranked save percentage?

They did... And they lost two ECF's!

Believe me... Things will tighten up during the playoffs... DB is still a -20 or more! :blink::blink:

Sorry but that makes no sense. Briere and Drury were the leading scorers in the playoffs in the last 2 seasons. Drury took a puck to the face to save a goal. Clearly, they were teh problem. :P

Not the same sport but listen to this based on your logic: After the Bills lost to Cleveland in the 90 playoffs, they should have let Kelly and Bruce walk for nothing. They hadn't won anything. Then to top things off, let's traded Thurman during the season.

This front office effed things up as bad as possible. There are too many guys saying they would have take smaller deals to stay if they were offered them during the season. Fans buy every item with that butt ugly logo and sell out every game. And the Sabres reward them by breaking up a Cup contender. Thanks Tom (though he saved the Sabres and will be the future Bills owner you can't be too mad at him), Larry, and Darcy. :sick:

Sweet, more excuses for Miller. Please quote the "imagine how productive Connolly would be if he just stayed healthy" line in your next post.

Actually I called someone on a similar Connolly stat a couple weeks ago, but nice try.

I realize the Sabres are not the Devils (thank God) and do not play a suffocating style. However, Montreal's rookie goaltender has had no trouble playing behind a wide-open style. I have seen nothing but average goaltending from Miller for two straight years. His "wins" stat has been impressive because he has had the luxury of 4 or 5 goals of support. He has been hung out to dry, maybe more often than most goalies, but isn't that a function of "being good?" His team trusts him to bail them out when they falter in front of him? He has not bailed them out too often.

And Montreal's rookie goalie (20-12-3, 2.71, .915) has similar numbers to Miller (33-26-9, 2.64, .908.) He's CLEARLY better than Miller.

What's your point? Could it be that the team in front of him has played better and more consistent than Buffalo?

And while Montreal plays a more wide-open system than say NJ or Minnesota, they don't play as attacking a style as Buffalo does.

FWIW, Miller has played 71 games this year. Kiprusoff from Calgary, Nabakov from SJ, and Brodeur from NJ have all played 71 or more. All of those teams are playoff teams. Behind Miller are Luongo with 67 GP and Lundqvist with 66. Those guys aren't tired, but Miller is???

No, you're right, these guys are interchangeable robots and should be treated as such. Goalie A can do it, why can't Miller? Some guys aren't built to handle a 70+ game season. Some of us have been saying for weeks that he was going to wilt down the stretch and he is doing just that. Miller's never played more than 63 games in the NHL. He hasn't had a game off since Feb.1 He has to learn how to handle that kind of workload. He may also be a guy who is best playing ~60-65 games. It's something that Lindy, DR and Ryan will have to sit down and discuss after the season - did Lindy overwork him, does the backup need to play more than five games, etc.?

How is the 86th in goals allowed misrepresented??? There are 87 goalies with a stat line this year. Miller has allowed 183 shots past him, the second most in the league. Take it for what it's worth....But the number doesn't lie. His breakaway troubles, formerly one of his strengths, is troubling also, and a major reason why the Sabres are currently out of the playoff picture.

Because the first 28 goalies on that list have played 9 games or fewer. Miller has also faced the third-most SOG and made the third-most saves.

Oh, and those elite guys that Miller should be as good as? Their ranks in goals allowed:

77. Luongo

78. Lundqvist

79. Brodeur

81. Nabokov

85. DiPietro

87. Kirpusoff

I like Miller. Hopefully they sign him. But are we REALLY going to spend five more years blaming the system, the defense, the coaching, the backup, the ice, the lighting, and the weather for Miller's 17th ranked GAA and 20th ranked save percentage?

That's a well-thought-out, rational response. Yes, we're blaming the ice, the lighting, the weather, Sabretooth and the weather, but you forgot the tides, astrological signs, the Loch Ness Monster, BigFoot and UFO's.

Can you honestly say that the system and the defense does not impact the quality of scoring opportunities the opposition gets? I agree that Miller took a step back on his breakaways this year, but putting shootouts aside for a moment - how many breakaways and 2-on-1's should a normal goalie see? Because for the last month or two the Sabres have been giving away odd-man rushes and breakaways like door prizes. I've watched guys like Max, Kalinin and Lydman turn the puck over with stunning regularity. I've also seen a ton of plays where Lydman, Tallinder and Campbell (before he was traded) standing right next to guys in the defensive zone without covering them. It has driven Lindy bonkers - listen to his presser from last night. How does Alfredsson manage to stand uncovered in the slot for so long?

Do I think Miller had a good year? No - it was an average year marked with a lot of inconsistency, like much of the entire roster. Did he forget how to play goalie or are his skills falling? Not likely. But I'm not going to toss aside a goalie who has won 100+ games in the last 2 1/2 seasons - 3 straight 30+ win years, plus a franchise record 40 wins last year - because he struggled down the stretch.

Shortened....

Good post, good points.

I'm not busting your balls, but it would be quite easy to gather from your post is that Miller just isn't that good and may have fatigue issues...But could be an excellent goalie if the Sabres played a grind-em-out trap, collapsed in front of him, and hoped for 2-1 wins, ugly style.

Buffalo's inconsistency as a team certainly has had a negative impact on the win total and on Miller's stats. But those are the specific times when you need your #1 goalie to shine, to carry a team, to steal a win when they are on a playoff push.

As we have seen MANY times, it's not how many you stop, it's when you stop them. Miller has allowed some incredibly untimely goals this year, a la Marty Biron. It's preventing that 3rd goal when you're trailing 2-1. It's making that huge save on a 2-on-1 when a defenseman gets caught up ice. Miller hasn't been there and it's been costly.

I may be jaded because of the majority of Buffalo seems to sweat Miller, and I've been getting a little tired of the excuses. I have no doubt the team in front of him plays a major role in what he does or doesn't stop. But that's no different for any other NHL team. I'm expecting more out of the guy who fancies himself as a top-tier NHL goaltender with aspirations for the US Olympic team and a big-money contract.

Ralph, I honestly believe he can be that elite-level guy. I really do. And I've been begging for the Sabres to tone down the attacking style for a while now, because a) you don't win a lot of 6-5 games in the playoffs and b) the offensive numbers that have left them cocky and overconfident have been skewed by a handful of blowouts. They've been very inconsistent on offense this year, Goals-For stat notwithstanding.

I'd be ecstatic with a bunch of 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 wins. That being said, he has struggled at times this year, and certain areas of his game have either stagnated or regressed, so he's got some stuff to work on. But I think he'd really have had a much better season he'd be if he had gotten a couple more nights off here and there. The Sabres have to improve the defense and the backup goalie situation, and find a no.2 center this offseason.

Well, Bmwolf21 did a good job debating the points thrown around here against Miller, I will add my $0.02 too

I have never and will never say anything like that about Timmy, he has only had one good year his entire career where I haven't seen the fans begging for a bag of pucks for him, or awaiting his "potential" One of the front offices biggest mistakes was giving him the contract they did, when they did.

Now as for Miller, lets look at the talent infront of the teams you mentioned. The Devils have alot of talent and play a very defensive game, which is one of the major reasons why Brodeur always looks so good. As for Montreal, they still have better talent in front of their goalie, and they aren't relying on the goalie to play lights out every night. the problem with Buffalo right now is they need their goalie to play lights out almost every night to keep them in games because they aren't scoring regularly (they are only at the top of the league in scoring because they have a bunch of games where they scored in huge bunches, they are either scoring in almost double digits, or not scoring at all, theres no consistency). Its pretty apparent that its not the goaltender themselves in Montreal making the difference because there really wasn't much of a drop off depending on who is in net, Huet, Price, or Halak.

Now, for the other goalies you listed that have played a similar amount of games, how many of them have done it before, and have faced the same amount of shots as Miller. There's a difference in facing 30+ shots for 70 games, and 20+ shots for 70 games. Kiprusof also started struggling playing a bunch of games (Keenan was really riding him hard and expecting him to play every night) so they went out and brought in Cujo to give him a break so they don't wear him out before the playoffs, and yet our FO decided to stay put with T-Bo who hadn't started in about a month before the trade deadline, and nothing since. Brodeur, and Luongo regularly play 70+ games. This is the first time Miller has had to play over 60 games and is about to break a Sabres record for most games played in a season.

The goals allowed is misrepresented because it does not take into account shots and games played. The more games you play, the more shots you face, the more goals you allow. Where is he in comparison to the 87 goalies in GAA? I bet he isn't second to last in the league. A major reason why the Sabres are just about out of the playoff picture is because they have a terrible defence (it was bad enough before, but became even worse when their best defencemen was traded for a forward), and the team can't score goals consistently. They score in huge bunches for a game or 2, and then struggle to score any the next couple games.

I guess we shouldn't expect much of a debate from a message board where the fan base also thinks that QB was a huge concern/problem for the Bills the last couple years.

Good post, good points.

I'm not busting your balls, but it would be quite easy to gather from your post is that Miller just isn't that good and may have fatigue issues...But could be an excellent goalie if the Sabres played a grind-em-out trap, collapsed in front of him, and hoped for 2-1 wins, ugly style.

Buffalo's inconsistency as a team certainly has had a negative impact on the win total and on Miller's stats. But those are the specific times when you need your #1 goalie to shine, to carry a team, to steal a win when they are on a playoff push.

As we have seen MANY times, it's not how many you stop, it's when you stop them. Miller has allowed some incredibly untimely goals this year, a la Marty Biron. It's preventing that 3rd goal when you're trailing 2-1. It's making that huge save on a 2-on-1 when a defenseman gets caught up ice. Miller hasn't been there and it's been costly.

I may be jaded because of the majority of Buffalo seems to sweat Miller, and I've been getting a little tired of the excuses. I have no doubt the team in front of him plays a major role in what he does or doesn't stop. But that's no different for any other NHL team. I'm expecting more out of the guy who fancies himself as a top-tier NHL goaltender with aspirations for the US Olympic team and a big-money contract.

the fans have been ruined by having a goalie like Hasek play for Buffalo in his prime, very few goalies in the league can you actually count on to win 1-0 or 2-1 games on a regular basis, and the fans are still holding the current goalies to that standard. Do you really think Brodeur would hold up and win those kind of games playing for the Sabres this year in the amount of games Miller has?

Miller hasn't been great this year, but he is not the problem on the team. How many of the Sabres defencemen this yer would be a top 4 defencemen on any other team? Lydman? Tallinder? Kalinan? Paestch can't even crack the lineup, Pratt wasn't even in the league to start the season, Weber, Sekera, and Funk were AHLers, the Sabres have been the only team interested in continually signing Teppo, Spacek is maybe the only (besides Campbell) one and he has been off and on all year. Do the Sabres even have anyone at forward who would be considered as a top liner for another team? Anyone who could be a top tier level player? Vanek is being payed like one but is not top tier yet. Roy and Pomminville may end up becoming a player who may be at the bottom of the top tier. Everyone else would be 2nd liners at best on the majority of the other teams.

Miller has been excellent in some games (I believe he has a career high in shutouts this year, and may be close to tying his career total in this season), and he ahs been bad in others, but its not his fault they are fighting for a playoff spot. You can blame a FO that has decided its better to continually grow for the future, instead of filling the missing pieces to win now, when you have the best chance.

Alot of people use Tampa as a negative example of not mortgaging your team on certain players, but last time I checked, they won a cup with those 3 players taking up a big chunk of salary

I have never said that Miller is the team's big problem, or the reason they will miss the playoffs. The problems, for me,:

1. Front office

2. Defense (Again, this can be considered a front office issue, considering that they came into the season with two guys who got benched in the playoffs, a 40-year old with heart trouble, an All Star with no contract, an injury-prone Tallinder, and a bunch of AHL-ers)

3. Center (Losing Drury & Briere and counting on Tim Connolly for anything could be considered another front office error)

4. Owner (Tommy G could've green-lighted an offer to Drury, or Briere, or Campbell, and was conspicuously silent)

5. Goaltending (Thibault at backup was a disaster- front office again!!- and Miller has been average when they needed more)

6. Max, Kotalik, and Stafford having subpar-to-terrible statistical seasons when they needed those three to really pick up some slack

That said, everyone keeps suggesting that the Sabres' style is the reason Miller has had an inconsistent season. I'm not saying the style isn't a factor, but when you're trying to manufacture offense to make up for an incredible loss of production, your goalie is going to occasionally be on an island. Name an NHL goalie who WOULDN'T benefit from having his team play a disciplined, low-risk, trap defense!!! The Sabres don't play that style and they need more out of Miller. That's just the way it is, and Miller hasn't really answered the bell this season (for me at least.) The team could always play better, but the big, bailout save has been lacking.

I give Miller credit, he is a voice in the locker room and never has dodged the media when his play has struggled.

Sure I don't like it... But, it shows that the management had the balls to change... Change which will pay off in the long run!

The Sabres are a very talented team that just have to mature... They are still very much feared!

Management did NOT have the "balls to change." They had the "balls" to dick around their two best players who split town. Yeah, way to go. :P:blink::blink:

And no one cared about Drury or Briere's plus-minus when they were leading us to the conference finals, so that's a moot point.

And we're not a "feared" team. That's a joke. We're a crap team. The end. Teams that miss the playoffs and have no toughness or heart are not feared. The only people they scare are their own fans, who shell out hundreds of bucks for tickets and may not get a decent effort in return.

The team isn't "mature" because they won't extend the contract of their veteran leaders. No mystery there.

Everything this team does has been low class over the past couple years. They've gutted their scouting department, they made a mess of their AHL team, they wouldn't extend either of their team captains, and they won't pay Teppo Numminen (I'm sure potential free agents love to hear that). But other than ALL THAT, they're a super organization these days. :sick:;):lol:

True... I would too!!

Are we really a victim of flukey success?

There is a great core there... But have ALWAYS been missing something to take them over the hump.

Well, they could use a Defensive Forward and a big blue liner that will hold the puck in and not hold back on throwing the hip check (which is all but gone form the game) along with someone to take the pressure off of Miller. I think now that Miller has had this year under his belt, next year he should play close to as many games and hopefully have a better turn out.... its jsut the tip of the ice berg, as of now though, the window for winning a cup is just about shut, locked, and sealed. Lets see what the offseason brings if we don't get that 8th spot, which is looking dim.

IMO, there has to be something wrong with Miller....He used to be one of the most sound position goalies I have seen in a while....now I constantly see him flying around the crease, sometimes out of position...also the league has solved his flopping style...anytime a guy has time, 80% of the time they are putting it under the cross bar on him....he is going down WAY too soon and teams have caught on...he needs to adjust his style or bad things are on the horizon...again this is just my opinion...i think Ryan Miller is a great guy and I would have a sandwich with him any day of the week, but he has been painfully oridinary for a good portion of this year