if this happens.......

playman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDr.../mock031508.htm

lets say it turns out this way. i know taking ellis is tempting. on the other hand this would give an excellent opportunity to trade down for multiple picks wich will net us a lot of good players in need positions. maybe thomas-carson-hardy and a pretty good TE. what would you do?

How can we trust PFW? After all, they had us taking Marshawn Lynch last year.

I think the Bills brass brought in Stroud just so they could trade down if this happens. If I could parlay WR Devin Thomas, CB Antoine Cason, and WR Hardy out of trading down, I'd be surprised, though.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDr.../mock031508.htm

lets say it turns out this way. i know taking ellis is tempting. on the other hand this would give an excellent opportunity to trade down for multiple picks wich will net us a lot of good players in need positions. maybe thomas-carson-hardy and a pretty good TE. what would you do?

I wouldnt be upset, but I doubt it would happen. McCargo and Stroud sre locks to make the team. Spencer Johnson would have to totally fall on his face to be cut, and Kyle Williams is still young with a (well you know high motor and all). So even if the team keeps 5 DTs that leaves only one slot available, so it probably wont be a first rounder. Looking at the depth chart WR, CB, and LB have the most open available roster positions( you could make an argument for TE, but it seems that the team is going for quantity instead of Quality with Anderson, Johnson, Royal, and Schouman, provided they actually have a FB or two this year they will only keep three, however I am not sure any of these guys make the team) . DE has one or two available positions but I doubt they tie up more big money in that area.

Sedrick Ellis

DT | (6'0", 308, 4.95) | USC

Strengths: A disruptive, penetrating interior defensive lineman. At his best in a one-gap scheme but has some versatility due to experience as a nose tackle and three-technique. He is extremely disruptive versus the run. Displays outstanding initial burst and wins most of his battles with first-step quickness. Uses long arms to keep separation and does an excellent job of disengaging from blocks and keeping on the move. Recognition skills are very good and he's athletic enough to change directions and pursue once he penetrates the backfield. He consistently generates pressure as a pass rusher. Shows upper-echelon closing burst for his position and also does a good job of batting down passes once he realizes he's not getting to the QB. Plays with a great motor and works very hard on and off the field. Never gives up on a play and his effort is infectious.

Weaknesses: Undersized; lacks ideal height and bulk. Not a good fit for schemes that require two-gap ability. Plays with a narrow base and will get overwhelmed by bigger blockers in the phone booth. He struggles to anchor when teams run at him and he really needs to be on the move in order to be successful. Durability has been somewhat of an issue; redshirted in 2003 due to injury that required surgery and missed three games in 2006 (Nebraska, Arizona and Washington State) due to right knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery.

Overall: Ellis arrived at USC in 2003 but received a medical redshirt after suffering a midseason left ankle fracture which required surgery. During his first three seasons (2004-'06) he saw action in 34 games making 86 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, and nine sacks. Ellis missed some time in 2006 after having arthroscopic knee surgery. Ellis is a one-gap defensive tackle prospect that isn't for everybody but can be effective in the right scheme (see: Colts, Buccaneers, Eagles, etc.). If ranks among the elite prospects at his position and can solidify a spot in Round 1 with a healthy and productive senior season.

If Ellis falls he'd look great in a Bills uniform. Getting to Tom Brady is the best way to stop the Pets*. I'd rather see them take him in the first round than a big WR.

It would be awesome! I just don't think we should invest a #11 in a guy who is going to rotate on the bench for 3 years and only be a situational player. We need an impact player at #11 hopefully who fills a strong need.

I believe WR or DB will be addressed early, with TE, LB, DE, QB, S and ST depth being added on Day two.... Unless we get trade offers, or someone drops to us at a position of need (Like Edwards did) we probably will be looking in that order.... We need to take a young QB who has decent potential (Like a Tom Brady in the 6th) that can eventually be groomed for the #2 job.... I don't know what we do with Losman yet, since to trade him we would have to get a QB who can be a solid #2 in return from that team.... Unless we package him to move up for Gholston which might be a problem too since we'd have so much coin tied up in our DE's and again they are going to rotate.....for a year or more.... Maybe Package him to move back into the 1st rnd to grab a WR....(now that would fit the Bills style)

Remember we need STARTERS on day one, and depth, backups that can be groomed eventually in a starter role (even if on ST) someday on day two

we arent going to get Ellis my god do you guys not see who we have MCcargo,Stroud,Kyle Williams,Johnson to rotate across the line we dont need to draft a DT with the firt rounder maybe in the 5th for a project player but come on MCcargo and Stroud are going to be the starters and i think they will do a great job because MCcargo with his first full season was our best defensive tackle and with Stroud in there it is going to make him that much better

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

Thankfully, we know that when a player wears the Buffalo Bills uniform, it is guaranteed that he won't get injured and miss any snaps. Therefore, the Bills can go one deep across the board and screw depth.

True enough, but you don't draft backups in the first two rounds.... you draft starters.

we arent going to get Ellis my god do you guys not see who we have MCcargo,Stroud,Kyle Williams,Johnson to rotate across the line we dont need to draft a DT with the firt rounder maybe in the 5th for a project player but come on MCcargo and Stroud are going to be the starters and i think they will do a great job because MCcargo with his first full season was our best defensive tackle and with Stroud in there it is going to make him that much better

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

That, sir, is a run-on sentence.

And if you want to get run on, you won't take Ellis is he's there at 11.

If Ellis drops to #11, there will be 3-4 teams trying to trade up and get him in our spot. We will DEFINITELY trade down and take the best offer. DT is one position where we definitely will not be in need this year. Can't say the same about WR and CB.

In a heartbeat!! Sedrick Ellis and Marcus Stroud with John McCargo and Spencer Johnson in rotation would cause all sorts of havoc for the boys in the AFC East! The push from this defensive front at DT is simply UNBLOCKABLE! Ideally, they will wear out O-lines that try and stop them. More turnovers, more sacks, fewer points allowed... sounds real good to me!

In a heartbeat!! Sedrick Ellis and Marcus Stroud with John McCargo and Spencer Johnson in rotation would cause all sorts of havoc for the boys in the AFC East! The push from this defensive front at DT is simply UNBLOCKABLE! Ideally, they will wear out O-lines that try and stop them. More turnovers, more sacks, fewer points allowed... sounds real good to me!

it would make our d line scary. It would be very tempting to draft him if he is there at 11

I agree, no way Ellis falls past New England. Or the Bengals. However, if he falls to us we take him. We will be getting a WR in the 2nd round, and he will be good. I do think the Bills should have paid Johnson's price tag to hedge their bets, but he either way if Ellis is there, you take him. Mark my words, one of the top 10 talents everyone is talking about will fall to the Bills. If it is one of the defensive lineman (Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey,) you have to take them. Hell, the only guys I wouldn't draft within the projected top 10, would be one of the CB's. I think there always has to be a CB in the top 10, but most are not worth taking that early.

I agree it gives us leverage to trade down, but who would we trade down with? I keep hearing the Cowboys, b/c they have 2 first round picks and need a WR. But they obviously are going to land one of the top 4 WR's who are essentially all rated similar. Who else wants pick 11?

Ellis would be a back up, why would we spend the 11th pick on him? It is extremely unlikely he will be anywhere near McCargo's level this year. Infact, this will be McCargo's break out year (hopefully), as he was an absolute monster at times last year.