Why all the love for Kelly?

I've read a few posters claiming Kelly is the safe bet at 11.

Why do people seem to think Malcom Kelly is a safe bet at all much less a safe bet at 11? His highlight reel is good but I wouldn't look at it and say he's a safe bet.

There is not that big a difference in the top 3-4 WR's this year yet everyone has us getting Kelly @ 11 and the rest of the field(not Jackson since he should be off of our radar) comes off the board in the mid 20's. Thats a bit strange, in fact it sounds like a reach. If we trade down and grab one of these guys then I'd be okay with that but If we draft Kelly at 11 I think it might be in prelude to letting Evans walk. I don't see the Buffalo Bills, who are a defensive, run first type club having two high priced guys at WR. If Kelly really is the man then we'll have a tough situation in 3 years. Financially keeping him and Evans is going to be hard.

I just don't think a #2 receiver is that important that we should use the 11th pick. We drafted Evans at 11 and he's our #1 guy, does it really make sense to get a second receiver at the same position? especially one that is rated lower then Evans was. WR is a need but on this team I don't think WR is as important as some would like to think.

Why do people seem to think Malcom Kelly is a safe bet at all much less a safe bet at 11? His highlight reel is good but I wouldn't look at it and say he's a safe bet.

There is not that big a difference in the top 3-4 WR's this year yet everyone has us getting Kelly @ 11 and the rest of the field(not Jackson since he should be off of our radar) comes off the board in the mid 20's. Thats a bit strange, in fact it sounds like a reach. If we trade down and grab one of these guys then I'd be okay with that but If we draft Kelly at 11 I think it might be in prelude to letting Evans walk. I don't see the Buffalo Bills, who are a defensive, run first type club having two high priced guys at WR. If Kelly really is the man then we'll have a tough situation in 3 years. Financially keeping him and Evans is going to be hard.

I just don't think a #2 receiver is that important that we should use the 11th pick. We drafted Evans at 11 and he's our #1 guy, does it really make sense to get a second receiver at the same position? especially one that is rated lower then Evans was. WR is a need but on this team I don't think WR is as important as some would like to think.

If you don't think WR is a very important need on this team, then what was the biggest offensive problem last year? I don't think it's reasonable to say that RB or the offensive line was the problem (especially in pass protection). Tight End was a problem, but no TE is important enough to drag an offense down to the bottom of the stat chart.

Pretty much the only things left are the QB, WR, or the offensive coordinator. It must be one of those then eh?

I also think that Kelly at #11 is a reach because 1) he is injuried 2) his college production was not that great last year. All the evaluation was base on the assumption that he can regain his form three years ago. He is a big receiver and is better than some other tall receivers available. However, I agreed with some that we can trade down from #11 and get some more picks in the first round. We can probably still select James Hardy or Lima Sweed after trading down, even towards the end of the 1st round. Then we can select a CB with the extra pick. I wonder if Dallas will give us their two 1st round picks for #11. Other option is to draft an OL. I think we are one or two players from having a great OL. We also should target center in the third round. Speaking of receivers, what are the opinions of James Hardy. I know that he has bagage but I was also told that he was trying to change his life and no longer a trouble maker. However, I read that some scout called him the laziest player in the world. The games that I have seen him played, he was a monster in the red zone, almost unstoppable. If he cannot run good routes, can it be coached?

If you don't think WR is a very important need on this team, then what was the biggest offensive problem last year? I don't think it's reasonable to say that RB or the offensive line was the problem (especially in pass protection). Tight End was a problem, but no TE is important enough to drag an offense down to the bottom of the stat chart.

Pretty much the only things left are the QB, WR, or the offensive coordinator. It must be one of those then eh?

I don't think he is really saying WR is a big need for this team to invest the #11 overall pick on a WR. He is claiming that Evans is our #1 WR and you do not pay top of the draft money to your #2 WR, especially if you are going to re-sign him to a contract extension. In that sense, I would agree that the Bills need to pick a WR in Rd 2 or 3 to start opposite Evans.

My only problem is in assuming that Lee is our #1 WR. Lee Evans is more suited for a #2 WR especially if there is another tall and big WR on the opposite side that can take on double coverage. In that sense, the Bills need to draft a #1 WR who will be here for the long haul which means will the Bills pay Evans like a #1 WR or more like a #2 WR. Interesting times...

I don't think he is really saying WR is a big need for this team to invest the #11 overall pick on a WR. He is claiming that Evans is our #1 WR and you do not pay top of the draft money to your #2 WR, especially if you are going to re-sign him to a contract extension. In that sense, I would agree that the Bills need to pick a WR in Rd 2 or 3 to start opposite Evans.

My only problem is in assuming that Lee is our #1 WR. Lee Evans is more suited for a #2 WR especially if there is another tall and big WR on the opposite side that can take on double coverage. In that sense, the Bills need to draft a #1 WR who will be here for the long haul which means will the Bills pay Evans like a #1 WR or more like a #2 WR. Interesting times...

I can see that and I guess I just got hung up on the "WR is not as important as everyone thinks" part of it.

WR is the most important position that needs to be addressed. I'm not taking anything away from Evans, Reed or Parrish, but they are small and a lot of cb's / safties can outjump them for the ball. It's not JUST a matter of taking pressure off of Evans - Edwards needs a target that he can throw to so they can MAKE plays...I believe also this is why they are signing these big tight ends like they are going out of style....

I can see that and I guess I just got hung up on the "WR is not as important as everyone thinks" part of it.

When I said tha WR wasn't the biggest need I meant that as far as our offense goes, it's a run first type system that focuses on controlling the ball. Two first round receivers is just too much invested in an area that doesn't seem to be a focus point for us. We're not going to win a lot games through the air IMO with or without a first round WR.

I agree that we need a true #2 WR but using the #11 pick on it seems irresponsible

Kelly = this season's Mike Nugent

You think it's bad now? Wait 'til we pass on him. He's gonna be Jerry Rice, Fred Bilitnekoff, Andre Reed, and Randy Moss all rolled into one.

Nobody was really serious about Nugent (I don't think anyone was, were they?).

So if we trade down and pick Kelly in the 20's, thats good, but if we stay at 11 and pick him, Kelly automatically turns into more of a beast, and that is bad for us because we already have a beast... wtf?

First of all, Kelly is the same player no matter where we pick him. If the Bills think the guy is going to be great, pick him wherever the hell you want, just make sure you get him. You elude to the fact that the plans for Kelly would change based on where he is picked, and that is ridiculous. We need a WR, period.

And this crap about its a run first offense, so we should pick a WR later on... pass the pipe. We need a WR, that is our biggest need (besides TE, but none are top 15 picks in this draft). Obviously, the longer you wait to pick a player, the lower the talent level you are getting. So if a WR is our number 1 need, why would we "wait" to draft our number 1 need? That makes no sense to me.

So if we trade down and pick Kelly in the 20's, thats good, but if we stay at 11 and pick him, Kelly automatically turns into more of a beast, and that is bad for us because we already have a beast... wtf?

First of all, Kelly is the same player no matter where we pick him. If the Bills think the guy is going to be great, pick him wherever the hell you want, just make sure you get him. You elude to the fact that the plans for Kelly would change based on where he is picked, and that is ridiculous. We need a WR, period.

And this crap about its a run first offense, so we should pick a WR later on... pass the pipe. We need a WR, that is our biggest need (besides TE, but none are top 15 picks in this draft). Obviously, the longer you wait to pick a player, the lower the talent level you are getting. So if a WR is our number 1 need, why would we "wait" to draft our number 1 need? That makes no sense to me.

In a trade down scenario this doesn't make sense? If Kelly, Sweed and Hardy are all similar in skill set and ranking and we have the chance to pick up an extra 2nd while getting one of them, you don't understand that line of thought? Okay then sorry I must be a moron.

Using the #11 on a position that will touch the ball 50-60 times a year at the receiver position also seems dumb to me, but then again I am a moron.

It's the same argument that goes for drafting a shutdown cb with the 11. Shutdown CB's are not as important in our scheme as the rest of our D. #2 WR's aren't as important in our offensive gameplan therefore it almost seems like a waste (see the Lions and Jags) to pick another first round WR.

In a trade down scenario this doesn't make sense? If Kelly, Sweed and Hardy are all similar in skill set and ranking and we have the chance to pick up an extra 2nd while getting one of them, you don't understand that line of thought? Okay then sorry I must be a moron.

Using the #11 on a position that will touch the ball 50-60 times a year at the receiver position also seems dumb to me, but then again I am a moron.

It's the same argument that goes for drafting a shutdown cb with the 11. Shutdown CB's are not as important in our scheme as the rest of our D. #2 WR's aren't as important in our offensive gameplan therefore it almost seems like a waste (see the Lions and Jags) to pick another first round WR.

I said that trading down in your logic doesn't make sense. I'd rather trade down and grab a receiver, personally, I like Hardy the most. But, I was saying that your logic seemed quazi-retarded, in that staying and picking him at #11 means more to Lee Evans' future than he we traded down.

I also think you weren't making sense because you say that we shouldn't be investing a 1st round pick in another WR, yet you say you would want to trade down and grab him while picking up extra picks. A little contradictory, don't you think?

I said that trading down in your logic doesn't make sense. I'd rather trade down and grab a receiver, personally, I like Hardy the most. But, I was saying that your logic seemed quazi-retarded, in that staying and picking him at #11 means more to Lee Evans' future than he we traded down.

I also think you weren't making sense because you say that we shouldn't be investing a 1st round pick in another WR, yet you say you would want to trade down and grab him while picking up extra picks. A little contradictory, don't you think?

Maybe I didn't get the point across well enough. My bad if it's my lack of writing skills. Here is what I'm saying:

I think that taking a WR with the 11THpick is too much of a risk due to our offensive style and future plans with Lee, though if picking up an extra pick or 2 is in the cards the risk is much less IMO and a WR in the 1st should be okay.

Also if we are picking up a guy with the 11TH pick who can be gotten with a later pick it can be considered a reach, something I don't think is a luxury for us to do.

Very well said. QB is clearly the biggest weakness, but that's not going to fixed in the draft this year.

As for the OL, I thought it was very strange for a new group (not to mention uncharacteristic of a Bills team) to be significantly better in pass-protection than run blocking. Could probably use another mauler if we're going to be a power running team, but I don't know if anyone in the draft fits that description.

I think it's implicit that if they take a guy at #11, they think he has enough upside to be a #1 if he has to be. Evans obv. wasn't a #1 in his first year.

The Colts pay 2 wrs good money. Seems to work out ok for them. Not saying Evans & Kelly/Sweed is Harrison/Wayne, but having 2 top Wrs is possible.

The Colts pay 2 wrs good money. Seems to work out ok for them. Not saying Evans & Kelly/Sweed is Harrison/Wayne, but having 2 top Wrs is possible.

It's very possible but I don't think it goes with our style of offense. Also I'm not saying we don't need another WR, I just don't think risking the #11 on him is worth it.

It is a good thought, no doubt, I just don't think we will have much of an opportunity to trade down. Every year the board is inundated with trade down scenarios but hardly any involving a trade up which reflects the reality that there are always more teams looking to trade down than there are teams looking to trade up. So it is fun to speculate and yours makes as much sense as anyone elses.

My top priority is TE, Trent has trouble going downfield sometimes so lets give him some top talent for those check downs he is so good at. For my money, lets see who drops at WR in the second and maybe take a late round flier on a sleeper, maybe Taj Smith from Syracuse, a real playmaker whose college career was hampered by having to play on an offense that was pathetic beyond words. And yes, we gotta have a corner and please God, find a decent prospect somewhere at center.