Why all the love for Kelly?

The problem lies in thinking along the lines of #1 and #2 WRs. Its a bit misleading. Both guys will be on the field 90% of the time and both need to be capable of playing at a high level, regardless of where they were drafted.

If that means drafting another WR in R1, so be it. It should not be thought of any differently on draft day than almost any other position of serious weakness (the exceptions being K, P and FB which are traditionally filled late).

I've read a few posters claiming Kelly is the safe bet at 11.

Why do people seem to think Malcom Kelly is a safe bet at all much less a safe bet at 11? His highlight reel is good but I wouldn't look at it and say he's a safe bet.

There is not that big a difference in the top 3-4 WR's this year yet everyone has us getting Kelly @ 11 and the rest of the field(not Jackson since he should be off of our radar) comes off the board in the mid 20's. Thats a bit strange, in fact it sounds like a reach. If we trade down and grab one of these guys then I'd be okay with that but If we draft Kelly at 11 I think it might be in prelude to letting Evans walk. I don't see the Buffalo Bills, who are a defensive, run first type club having two high priced guys at WR. If Kelly really is the man then we'll have a tough situation in 3 years. Financially keeping him and Evans is going to be hard.

I just don't think a #2 receiver is that important that we should use the 11th pick. We drafted Evans at 11 and he's our #1 guy, does it really make sense to get a second receiver at the same position? especially one that is rated lower then Evans was. WR is a need but on this team I don't think WR is as important as some would like to think.

Why assume people are willing to trade down? Who the hell wants to pay out the arse for an unproven commodity? Teams just don't like to trade down anymore. Bill Polian actually wrote an article about that on NFL.com just recently. In his opinion, with the new cap structure, a high pick is actually less beneficial as a miss can set a team back years.

As for the rest of the WR's all being the same I have to wonder how much of the rest of the receivers you've actually saw. I mean the main point of the thread was to discuss Kelly, and you say you only saw his highlight real.

If you actually watch Hardy and Sweed they have speed, they just don't have football speed. They have long legs, good straight ahead speed, good 40 times. When it comes to accelerating and breaking in and out of cuts they fall short. If you watch Kelly you would know he's the only big receiver in this class who has football speed. You see him adjust, accelerate in and out of breaks, possess great leaping ability and body control. This isn't a long legged stride guy who can run fast straight , he actually can be a guy that beats you with route running. He can also beat you by being physical, making the tough catch in traffic.

We could debate if he's worth the 11th pick but we could do that with anybody who "should" be available. If we do end up with Kelly I don't see any reason to not be happy.

In a trade down scenario this doesn't make sense? If Kelly, Sweed and Hardy are all similar in skill set and ranking and we have the chance to pick up an extra 2nd while getting one of them, you don't understand that line of thought? Okay then sorry I must be a moron.

Using the #11 on a position that will touch the ball 50-60 times a year at the receiver position also seems dumb to me, but then again I am a moron.

It's the same argument that goes for drafting a shutdown cb with the 11. Shutdown CB's are not as important in our scheme as the rest of our D. #2 WR's aren't as important in our offensive gameplan therefore it almost seems like a waste (see the Lions and Jags) to pick another first round WR.

Did you even watch our team play last year? Our receivers including Lee Evans were pretty darn bad. Lee Evans is not big enough or physical enough to be a true #1 receiver. We need playmakers on offense. It is as simple as that. We have no big stud type WR on this team. We need one. The front office knows that. The coaches know that. Why don't you know that? If we can trade down in the first round and pick up another 2nd round pick, it would be a good move. But we need to come out of this draft with a wide receiver who will make an impact from day 1.

We also need a big shutdown corner as well. Hopefully, we can sign Will James (Peterson) who visited the team this past week. Even if we do, we still need another big time corner who can play tight coverage. Greer and McGhee are nothing special. They don't suck, but they are not great. I don't care what defensive scheme you play, you need guys that can cover receivers. Look at the tape of the Bills-Patriots game in Buffalo, enough said.

We will be taking a WR and a CB with two of our top three picks. A lot of you are fired up about getting another top tight end. I think we can get by with who we have on the roster now, (I think Courtney Anderson suprises a lot of people with his ability) and draft one in the later rounds. (Anyone have any suggestions of a late round steal at TE?) I think we need another interior O lineman or D lineman with one of our top three picks. We are weak at center and right guard, and could still use some more depth on the D line.