Phillip Merling DE Clemson

Takeo_14

SI.com reports Clemson DE Phillip Merling underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia this week.

Merling, a base 4-3 end, sat out the Combine and will now miss his Pro Day. He was projected as high as the top 15 before the injury. Hernias tend to linger, even after they're surgically repaired, and there's no timetable for Merling to be ready to play. He's probably not going in round one any longer.

If he is there in the 2nd round we have to nab him. The thing I do not understand is because he has a hernia sugery he drops from top 15 to 2nd round. I think he would be a heck of a pick in the 2nd round. Becuase as everyone knows Kelsay will not be an every down end for us. Add him to our DL. WOW.

I'm sick of everyone on this board talking about Merling as a DE for us. If any of you actually watched football, you'd know that he is not a pass rushing DE that we could possible covet. He is a big DE that plays the run well, pretty much the same mold as Kelsay. If we are looking to add a pass rushing DE, it certainly will NOT be Merling.

I'd be surprised if we drafted a DE that high only because its alot of money to tie up at one position. would he play shobels side or Kelsay/Denney's? If shobels i might take a flyer on him but Denney and Kelsay should be alot better with some more help in the middle and at LB

Second round picks mean squat when compared to the cap. His contract would be in the range of 4 years and a max of 4 million total or so. I'd love Merling in the 2nd.

I'm sick of everyone on this board talking about Merling as a DE for us. If any of you actually watched football, you'd know that he is not a pass rushing DE that we could possible covet. He is a big DE that plays the run well, pretty much the same mold as Kelsay. If we are looking to add a pass rushing DE, it certainly will NOT be Merling.

Sorry to hear about your illness but if You actually watched Merlin play you would see that he plays the run well , Bull rushes as well as , out techniques high quality College Tackles and GETS to the QB. So Yes I think he is a very good fit . Speed rushing a QB with a 20 yard loop around the tackle is overated, unless your defensive backfield can make the QB hold the ball for 10 seconds.

Sorry to hear about your illness but if You actually watched Merlin play you would see that he plays the run well , Bull rushes as well as , out techniques high quality College Tackles and GETS to the QB. So Yes I think he is a very good fit . Speed rushing a QB with a 20 yard loop around the tackle is overated, unless your defensive backfield can make the QB hold the ball for 10 seconds.

If you are drafting a pass rushing DE who's main move to the QB is a bull rush, you've got problems.

And I'm not sure, that 20 yard loop to the QB worked pretty well for Freeny, Trent Cole, Tuck, and any other Giants DE not named Strahan.

Merling has developed no moves in his college stay. Sometimes, he'll get off the ball quicker than the lineman and be able to run straight to the QB, but he certainly doesn't beat anyone. When he tries to be quicker and bull rush lineman in the NFL he's not going to be very successful.

SI.com reports Clemson DE Phillip Merling underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia this week.

Merling, a base 4-3 end, sat out the Combine and will now miss his Pro Day. He was projected as high as the top 15 before the injury. Hernias tend to linger, even after they're surgically repaired, and there's no timetable for Merling to be ready to play. He's probably not going in round one any longer.

If he is there in the 2nd round we have to nab him. The thing I do not understand is because he has a hernia sugery he drops from top 15 to 2nd round. I think he would be a heck of a pick in the 2nd round. Becuase as everyone knows Kelsay will not be an every down end for us. Add him to our DL. WOW.

I saw him play a fair bit this year and he looked good ( potential second round ) ;) but IMHO took some plays off.

If you are drafting a pass rushing DE who's main move to the QB is a bull rush, you've got problems.

And I'm not sure, that 20 yard loop to the QB worked pretty well for Freeny, Trent Cole, Tuck, and any other Giants DE not named Strahan.

Merling has developed no moves in his college stay. Sometimes, he'll get off the ball quicker than the lineman and be able to run straight to the QB, but he certainly doesn't beat anyone. When he tries to be quicker and bull rush lineman in the NFL he's not going to be very successful.

I usually agree with your posts. However I think your wrong here. Granted I have not seen him play (not a big clemson nut), but from what I have read about him he has been compared to Jason Tuck, plus if the guy falls to the second round you take him, you can never have to many D-lineman.With Schobel being on the wrong side of 30 you have to start thinking of a replacement.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/phillip-merling?id=778

Compares To: JUSTIN TUCK-New York Giants...Both defensive ends will make a nice living coming off the edge. They have impressive size, though Merling is best playing on the move to utilize a sudden initial step to slip past blocks. He is not a good stack-and-control type and must do a better job of protecting himself from low blocks, but he is quick to provide outside run contain and shows a quick swim-and-spin move that generally gets him into the backfield to pressure the pocket. He won't read and react in an instant, but has closing speed to seal the deal, even in long pursuit, once he locates the ball. He has to improve his lower-body strength, but there is enough athletic ability there to get by as his body continues to mature.

I usually agree with your posts. However I think your wrong here. Granted I have not seen him play (not a big clemson nut), but from what I have read about him he has been compared to Jason Tuck, plus if the guy falls to the second round you take him, you can never have to many D-lineman.With Schobel being on the wrong side of 30 you have to start thinking of a replacement.

Compares To: JUSTIN TUCK-New York Giants...Both defensive ends will make a nice living coming off the edge. They have impressive size, though Merling is best playing on the move to utilize a sudden initial step to slip past blocks. He is not a good stack-and-control type and must do a better job of protecting himself from low blocks, but he is quick to provide outside run contain and shows a quick swim-and-spin move that generally gets him into the backfield to pressure the pocket. He won't read and react in an instant, but has closing speed to seal the deal, even in long pursuit, once he locates the ball. He has to improve his lower-body strength, but there is enough athletic ability there to get by as his body continues to mature.

Oh, okay, well as long as some guy at NFL.com compares him to Tuck, let's pick him! ;)