Trent Dilfer released

K-Gun10

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

I Want him perfect backup, a great leader thoughts?

Just say NO. After Alex Smith got injured, it was Trent's team. He just doesn't have it anymore. The 49ers were terrible with Trent as the qb. Fans couldn't wait for S. Hill to get healthy enough to take over.

stop bring up the names of all these washed-up worn out retreads. unless someone makes makes an absurd offer, jp losman should be our back-up.

the odds are against any qb playing 16 games anyway, so i want our backup to have a chance not to suck.

besides i though gilbran hamdan was ready for a run at the hall of fame? :thumbsup:

Well, that's awesome. Is St. Trent back in college?

BTW, Trent has plenty of teachers already. They're called coaches.

Definitely Edwards is not back in college. Where he is actually is playing for a pro franchise where the media and a loud enough portion of the fan base does not have the football maturity to walk and chew gum at the same time and deal with us having a back-up QB who provides any kind of a real threat to be the fulltime starting QB.

One of the oddities of what will work in this town for a back-up QB is that quite frankly he has to suck bad enough that no one take seriously the thought of him as our starter or the QB of the future (for example AVP filled this role well as the back-up for Bledsoe) because as soon as the starter shows any difficulties, the long knives come out as some fans are most entertained in this game if they get to whine about some overpaid player (and they all are overpaid) and the media here loves a QB controversy because they can sell ad space around their blather.

The perfect back-up for the Bills is someone who fits the Frank Reich/AVP model where he is a player capable of coming off the bench and performing well in a sub role as the opponents go into a bit of a shell having wiped out our starter or even better like Reich of even winning three games or so in a pinch.

My question about Dilfer is whether he has gained the maturity to be a good pair of sideline eyes for the starter (a skill Bledsoe actually showed quite well in NE for Brady) and to gracefully step back after the young starter gets well (again a skill Bledsoe showed after he threw the winning TD in a must win game for NE but sat back while Brady took the reins for the SB),

We are far better off as a team with a back-up who quite frankly sucks who can play the second set of eyes and relief job but in no way is good enough or young enough to entertain starting for this team consistently.

Definitely Edwards is not back in college. Where he is actually is playing for a pro franchise where the media and a loud enough portion of the fan base does not have the football maturity to walk and chew gum at the same time and deal with us having a back-up QB who provides any kind of a real threat to be the fulltime starting QB.

One of the oddities of what will work in this town for a back-up QB is that quite frankly he has to suck bad enough that no one take seriously the thought of him as our starter or the QB of the future (for example AVP filled this role well as the back-up for Bledsoe) because as soon as the starter shows any difficulties, the long knives come out as some fans are most entertained in this game if they get to whine about some overpaid player (and they all are overpaid) and the media here loves a QB controversy because they can sell ad space around their blather.

The perfect back-up for the Bills is someone who fits the Frank Reich/AVP model where he is a player capable of coming off the bench and performing well in a sub role as the opponents go into a bit of a shell having wiped out our starter or even better like Reich of even winning three games or so in a pinch.

My question about Dilfer is whether he has gained the maturity to be a good pair of sideline eyes for the starter (a skill Bledsoe actually showed quite well in NE for Brady) and to gracefully step back after the young starter gets well (again a skill Bledsoe showed after he threw the winning TD in a must win game for NE but sat back while Brady took the reins for the SB),

We are far better off as a team with a back-up who quite frankly sucks who can play the second set of eyes and relief job but in no way is good enough or young enough to entertain starting for this team consistently.

I don't buy it. If Trent was Peyton Manning in year 2 I would be comfortable with such a situation. But frankly I don't think he's proven anything yet (and I really hope to see him do so). You need only look at San Francisco last year to see exactly what you get in such a scenario, and the comparison is more than valid as Trent's injury history isn't much better than A. Smith's.

If Trent blows it or gets badly hurt and Losman comes in and suddenly (and admittedly unexpectedly) blows us away in a contract year, there are worse problems to have. A transition/franchise tag solves that woe.

Another year of 7-9 or worse, though, because Trent got hurt and Trent Doofus couldn't caretake his way to the playoffs... well, that would suck and would probably mean back to square one for the coaching staff.

I don't buy it. If Trent was Peyton Manning in year 2 I would be comfortable with such a situation. But frankly I don't think he's proven anything yet (and I really hope to see him do so). You need only look at San Francisco last year to see exactly what you get in such a scenario, and the comparison is more than valid as Trent's injury history isn't much better than A. Smith's.

If Trent blows it or gets badly hurt and Losman comes in and suddenly (and admittedly unexpectedly) blows us away in a contract year, there are worse problems to have. A transition/franchise tag solves that woe.

Another year of 7-9 or worse, though, because Trent got hurt and Trent Doofus couldn't caretake his way to the playoffs... well, that would suck and would probably mean back to square one for the coaching staff.

I actually agree in that I am very hopeful about Edwards, I do not think he has actually proven on the field that he is a consistent NFL starter. I believe with good luck regarding injuries and uncontrollable things he can a very good QB (and maybe even a great one we hope) but at this point he actually has shown better potential than JP at this point in their careers, but the irony is that actually to this point in their careers JP actually had shown more on field ability than Edward even though Edwards potential as a QB looks better than JP at a similar point.

Neither has shown enough on the field to be given the starting job when they were awarded it, but this is reality in the NFL and I simply hope Edwards does more with the job he does not deserve (yet) than JP did.

Again bowing to reality, the Bills certainly would be intelligent to have a back-up QB capable of being a consistent starter for virtually a full season if that is what is required. However, I do not think the media or a vocal minority of the fan base allows the Bills to have a back-up good enough or with the potential to supplant Edwards. I wish we did but we do not and the Bills an an entertainment business are simply forced to deal with the reality that having a back-up QB who can be a vet sounding board for Edwards and fill in for him if necessary for about 3 games max is about all this fanbase can handle without digressing into a QB controversy.