My Dying Mother

_BiB_

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he was talking about her "last words" on the subject of him running for president - not specifically her last words in life. Unless that happened to be the last topic they were talking about. If you have ever dealt with someone dying you know it is not like in the movies where the dramatic and sad music is playing and the person starts by saying "and one more thing..." or "and remember..." and then dies.

I understood it to be the words she spoke when he visited her in the hospital and told her he was thinking of running. Nothing he said implied to me that she dropped dead after saying three words.

And even if she did, is that any stupider than "God told me to run for President"?

I realize that Bush isn't much to hang your hat on and it's hard to defend his poor record and downright ignorance but such nitpicking reinforces the impression that Bush supporters are pinheads.

And even if she did, is that any stupider than "God told me to run for President"?

70023[/snapback]

No. About as stupid.

But a stupid statement in the presence of an equally stupid but completely unrelated statement does not suddenly become smart because of it. At least, not in the real world. Maybe in your little mentally deficient world it does.

No.  About as stupid.

But a stupid statement in the presence of an equally stupid but completely unrelated statement does not suddenly become smart because of it.  At least, not in the real world.  Maybe in your little mentally deficient world it does.

70074[/snapback]

She stalks on the west coast.

What's more telling about his talking about his mother is that the question was directed to them talking about their strong wives.

Bush talked about his wife, Kerry talked about his mother. Were the dishes flying at the after debate meal?

What's more telling about his talking about his mother is that the question was directed to them talking about their strong wives.

Bush talked about his wife, Kerry talked about his mother. Were the dishes flying at the after debate meal?

70174[/snapback]

Yes, and no. The question was about "strong women" in your life and what have you learned from them. Schieffer mentioned that they all had something in common, married to strong women and all having two daughters. He is not going to say, guess what, we all have mothers, too. It is a natural progression for either of the candidates to bring their mother, if a strong woman in their lives, into the answer. It's almost more of a disservice to not include your mother in that question, IMO, than it was for Kerry to go there. Technically he only mentioned the wives and daughters. Here is the direct question...

SCHIEFFER: We've come, gentlemen, to our last question. And it occurred to me as I came to this debate tonight that the three of us share something. All three of us are surrounded by very strong women. We're all married to strong women. Each of us have two daughters that make us very proud.

I'd like to ask each of you, what is the most important thing you've learned from these strong women?

Furthermore, Kerry's was a good answer all around, he was funny, he was considerate of Bush and his family, and he was gracious, even though I groaned when I heard the "integrity, integrity, integrity" nonsense, too.

SCHIEFFER: Senator Kerry?

KERRY: Well, I guess the president and you and I are three examples of lucky people who married up.

(LAUGHTER)

And some would say maybe me moreso than others.

(LAUGHTER)

But I can take it.

(LAUGHTER)

Can I say, if I could just say a word about a woman that you didn't ask about, but my mom passed away a couple years ago, just before I was deciding to run. And she was in the hospital, and I went in to talk to her and tell her what I was thinking of doing.

And she looked at me from her hospital bed and she just looked at me and she said, "Remember: integrity, integrity, integrity." Those are the three words that she left me with.

And my daughters and my wife are people who just are filled with that sense of what's right, what's wrong.

They also kick me around. They keep me honest. They don't let me get away with anything. I can sometimes take myself too seriously. They surely don't let me do that.

And I'm blessed, as I think the president is blessed, as I said last time. I've watched him with the first lady, who I admire a great deal, and his daughters. He's a great father. And I think we're both very lucky.

70174[/snapback]

Where at the 5 star restaurants they eat at. yeah common man there. When was the last time he baked a pan of lasagna? I am betting never.

No.  About as stupid.

But a stupid statement in the presence of an equally stupid but completely unrelated statement does not suddenly become smart because of it.  At least, not in the real world.  Maybe in your little mentally deficient world it does.

70074[/snapback]

As you seem to be the master of many stupid statements I defer to your far superior stupidity. I know you like deference.