Vikings and Falcons need for RB??

nemhoff

I know that these are the two teams most talked about for needing Peterson's services (although I think the Browns need him way worse). But I don't understand why they would looking at the current RB's on their rosters and what each team did last year in FA and the draft to acquire them. Someone other than helmet head Mel please tell me why.

Vikings RB's

Pinner

Moore

Cason

Chester Taylor (big FA pick-up last year)

Falcons RB's

Dunn

J. Norwood

Robertson (3rd rd. pick last year, good minutes and yardage in relief of Dunn)

Honestly, I don't believe that either one are serious threats to select a RB in R1. Norwood had an excellent rookie season with stats comparable to the much hyped Michael Turner, while Chester Taylor posted over 1,400 total yards for the Vikings last year. Perhaps neither one are great, but you don't need a great RB, or so I am told.

I know that these are the two teams most talked about for needing Peterson's services (although I think the Browns need him way worse). But I don't understand why they would looking at the current RB's on their rosters and what each team did last year in FA and the draft to acquire them. Someone other than helmet head Mel please tell me why.

Vikings RB's

Pinner

Moore

Cason

Falcons RB's

Dunn

J. Norwood

Dont see why either of those 2 teams would want him..but, Houston does!

Dont see why either of those 2 teams would want him..but, Houston does!

Funny thing is Houston is even more stocked than either of the teams in front of them and just committed big money to A. Green. I know that Peterson won't fall to us at 12, but if Houston takes them it has to be only because of their SNAFU last year in not taking Bush.

Houston RB's

Lundy

Green

Dayne (I think he is still with them)

Gado

Taylor

Funny thing is Houston is even more stocked than either of the teams in front of them and just committed big money to A. Green. I know that Peterson won't fall to us at 12, but if Houston takes them it has to be only because of their SNAFU last year in not taking Bush.

Houston RB's

Lundy

Green

Dayne (I think he is still with them)

Gado

Taylor

Having those 5 backs only makes their case stronger to take Peterson...let him share time with the vet Green and he will take over the following year.

You make the point yourself. Look at the RBs you named.

Norwood or Peterson?

Chester Taylor of Peterson?(

washed up and injury prone) Ahman Green or Peterson?

Those teams would be crazy not to take AP if he's there.

That is why the Bills, if they truly want AP, need to trade with Wash to get the 6th pick. And, Wash only has 1 first day pick, so they may be interested in getting an extra pick (2nd) or two (2nd and 4th) to trade with us.

You make the point yourself. Look at the RBs you named.

Norwood or Peterson?

Chester Taylor of Peterson?(

washed up and injury prone) Ahman Green or Peterson?

Those teams would be crazy not to take AP if he's there.

That is why the Bills, if they truly want AP, need to trade with Wash to get the 6th pick. And, Wash only has 1 first day pick, so they may be interested in getting an extra pick (2nd) or two (2nd and 4th) to trade with us.

But going with that theory, almost any team in the league could use AP at RB

The key to it is, Do any of those teams have more pressing needs they would/need to fill before they wouod think about upgrading at RB?

Does Atlanta think getting an upgrade at RB is better then Secondary help?

Does Minnesota think upgrading their running game is more important then any of their weaknesses?

Does Houston think getting AP will make up for not selecting Bush, or not upgrading the lines, or WR, or just about any spot on that team.

The key to it is, Do any of those teams have more pressing needs they would/need to fill before they wouod think about upgrading at RB?

Does Minnesota think upgrading their running game is more important then any of their weaknesses?

Does Houston think getting AP will make up for not selecting Bush, or not upgrading the lines, or WR, or just about any spot on that team.

I guess the answer is which of these teams is a strong contender for the SB and are a player or two away from competing. Of the lot the only one close to that is Atlanta. They have a established QB and a pretty good defense. If their need is for a safety or a OL they will take that over a Peterson. But given how good the NFC south can be, Atlanta would love to have that blue chip prospect at the RB position to compete in that division...

As far as Minnesota and Houston are concerned, they are good # of players away from competing in the super bowl, hence getting a Peterson to build their program from will be a dream....They might have Chester Taylor and Ahman Green, but those guys are no match for a blue chip prospect.

The key is if Brady Quinn falls to #7, Minnesota will take him, even though they invested a 2nd rd draft choice on QB last year. However, I don't see Quinn getting past the Brownies....

Good assessment.

Atlanta has two pressing needs and running back obviously isn't one of them. They need defensive backs (most likely safety bc lawyer milloy is old as hell) so i say Laron Landry with this pick...

Minnesota had every position on they're offensive roster as a concern. Except say what ever positoin hutchinson is in... Pick- could be qb or wr like quinn or ginn.

Houston is looking to beef up the front four. they need to give mario williams help and if they do and he has a stout season taking him #1 last year is more justifiable.

I don't disagree with any of those assessments. But also remember that Atlanta and Houston have offensive-minded head coaches. I also think (much like the Bills' believe - as they have him (reportedly) #1 on the draft board) he may be the best or second best player in the draft and maybe the best RB in the past 3-4 years comming out of college.

So now comes the age old question: do you take the best player available, or the player that will fill the most pressing need?

Vikings RB's

Pinner

Moore

Cason

Falcons RB's

Dunn

J. Norwood

Wow, after seeing that list of backs I am now worried that Marshawn Lynch might not last until #12.

This brings to the forefront another problem with waiting until the 2nd round to get a back. People say "yeah , we'll just get Pittman in the 2nd or Kenny Irons" like no one else might pick them. There are lots of linebackers that might not become stars, but can be serviceable, but a second rate back is just about useless.

Good assessment.

Atlanta has two pressing needs and running back obviously isn't one of them. They need defensive backs (most likely safety bc lawyer milloy is old as hell) so i say Laron Landry with this pick...

Minnesota had every position on they're offensive roster as a concern. Except say what ever positoin hutchinson is in... Pick- could be qb or wr like quinn or ginn.

Houston is looking to beef up the front four. they need to give mario williams help and if they do and he has a stout season taking him #1 last year is more justifiable.

The loss of Patrick Kerney leads me to believe that defense will be their priority early in this draft.