Wolfie gets caught with his pants down

Peter

Wolfowitz apologizes for girlfriend's raise

It is funny that he apologized for getting his girlfriend a big raise. When is he going to apologize for the war?

P.S. Maybe he thought that the Iraqi oil revenues could pay for both the reconstruction and his girlfriend's raise. :nana:

I think this guy was a true believer in the war. His girlfriend is a Palestinian. He doesn't seem like an evil man at all, just rather clueless

Pretty fascinating piece in last week's New Yorker on Wolfowitz. He was indeed a true believer and I'm surprised that this situation with his lady, which has been known about for awhile, is leading to his downfall just now.

You're kidding, right?

Perhaps a coincidental timing with The World Bank's annual meeting.

Right, but WB officials have been grumbling about this for awhile. That's all I was saying.

Wouldn't you be grumbling if a new CEO came in with a stated purpose to clean up deadwood in your company? :lol:

You're kidding, right?

Perhaps a coincidental timing with The World Bank's annual meeting.

No, the controversy had been bubbling along for some time, and the link just mentions the tip of the ice berg. If I remember correctly, beyond the promotion and raise issue there were questions about double-billing by drawing her regular salary and drawing a salary at where she was detailed. For those who are interested, she received $61,000 in raises *after* she was detailed to state, drawing a paycheck of $194k from the Bank. That alone is ~25% more than Condi Rice makes, it was reported in the Post.

I thought I also read recently that there were questions raised about a previous posting, but I can't find the article (in the Wash Post, about 3 days ago).

Finally, the issue first became public in the Post with the release of the minutes of a staff all-hands, or maybe a memo to the bank staff (my memory is shaky) addressing the controversy and dating a month ago, which means disgruntlement had been brewing internally considerably longer.

FYI - Wolf's has two other aides drawing in the 250k range. I'm not sure how this is done, since the government used to have a salary pecking order: President > Senate > House > ... > Federal Employees (ironically, part of the reason federal employees hate when politicians vote down raises. It has a trickle effect.)

*** EDIT - my mistake. Of course World Bank employees are not federal employees.

Wouldn't you be grumbling if a new CEO came in with a stated purpose to clean up deadwood in your company? :lol:

HECK NO!

Can they come to where I work... So much dead would in the fed it isn't funny! Try to get people to work... A little manual labor is like pulling teeth out!

Maybe the nation's infrastructure would be in a lot better shape...

:lol: