Mayock's list

Mayock's probably as good as anyone anywhere, as far as draft pundits go. He doesn't seem to exaggerate a lot. He gives extremely detailed and solid reasons when he analyzes a player. This is his list, as of today, of the top 64 players. It doesn't, of course, mean that this is the order that they will be drafted. But it's a pretty good list, IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10121765

1. Calvin Johnson Wide Receiver Georgia Tech

2. JaMarcus Russell Quarterback LSU

3. Adrian Peterson Running Back Oklahoma

4. LaRon Landry Safety LSU

5. Joe Thomas Tackle Wisconsin

6. Brady Quinn Quarterback Notre Dame

7. Gaines Adams Defensive End Clemson

8. Adam Carriker Defensive End Nebraska

9. Chris Houston Cornerback Houston

10. Amobi Okoye Defensive Tackle Louisville

11. Darrelle Revis Cornerback Pittsburgh

12. Jamaal Anderson Defensive End Arkansas

13. Ted Ginn Jr. Wide Receiver Ohio State

14. Alan Branch Defensive Tackle Michigan

15. Jon Beason Outside Linebacker Miami FL

16. Patrick Willis Inside Linebacker Ole Miss

17. Marshawn Lynch Running Back California

18. Leon Hall Cornerback Michigan

19. Dwayne Bowe Wide Receiver LSU

20. Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami FL

21. Levi Brown Tackle Penn State

22. Jarvis Moss Defensive End Florida

23. Ryan Kalil Center USC

24. Reggie Nelson Safety Florida

25. Greg Olsen Tight End Miami FL

26. Aaron Ross Cornerback Texas

27. Lawrence Timmons Outside Linebacker Florida State

28. Robert Meachem Wide Receiver Tennessee

29. Joe Staley Tackle Central Michigan

30. Ben Grubbs Tackle Auburn

31. Michael Griffin Safety Texas

32. Anthony Spencer Defensive End Purdue

33. Eric Wright Cornerback UNLV

34. David Harris Inside Linebacker Michigan

35. Justin Blalock Guard Texas

36. Victor Abiamiri Defensive End Notre Dame

37. Justin Harrell Defensive Tackle Tennessee

38. Sidney Rice Wide Receiver South Carolina

39. Paul Posluszny Outside Linebacker Penn State

40. Arron Sears Guard Tennessee

41. Anthony Gonzalez Wide Receiver Ohio State

42. Steve Smith Wide Receiver USC

43. Stewart Bradley Outside Linebacker Nebraska

44. Lorenzo Booker Running Back Florida State

45. LaMarr Woodley Defensive End Michigan

46. Dwayne Jarrett Wide Receiver USC

47. Zach Miller Tight End Arizona State

48. Tim Crowder Defensive End Texas

49. Ray McDonald Defensive Tackle Florida

50. Trent Edwards Quarterback Stanford

51. Brian Leonard Running Back Rutgers

52. Marcus McCauley Cornerback Fresno State

53. Tanard Jackson Cornerback/Safety Syracuse

54. Charles Johnson Defensive End Georgia

55. Josh Wilson Cornerback Maryland

56. John Beck Quarterback BYU

57. Quincy Black Outside Linebacker New Mexico

58. Jason Hill Wide Receiver Washington State

59. Quentin Moses Defensive End Georgia

60. Eric Weddle Safety Utah

61. James Martin Tackle Boston College

62. Ben Patrick Tight End Delaware

63. Sabby Piscitelli Safety Oregon State

64. Daymeion Hughes Cornerback California

It seems like a fairly reasonable assessment regarding our two main needs of LB (Willis likely the best player available at 12) and RB (Lynch likely the best player available at 12.

As he has a fairly significant drop off in talent to the second most pickable players at these two positions I think the counsel for us if he is right about the Bills as he was last year (he is the only pundit that I know of that had us taking Whitner at #8) then it seems we should trade down a little if we can get extra value and still get one of these two, or alternately trade down a lot as it will take a few spots to make taking the second tier guy worthwhile.

It seems like a fairly reasonable assessment regarding our two main needs of LB (Willis likely the best player available at 12) and RB (Lynch likely the best player available at 12.

As he has a fairly significant drop off in talent to the second most pickable players at these two positions I think the counsel for us if he is right about the Bills as he was last year (he is the only pundit that I know of that had us taking Whitner at #8) then it seems we should trade down a little if we can get extra value and still get one of these two, or alternately trade down a lot as it will take a few spots to make taking the second tier guy worthwhile.

As noted above, this list does not equate to where players will go.

If Bills want the best MLB in round 1, the Rams at #13 who want a MLB would preclude trading down.

Interesting that he ranked everyone's favorite Penn State LB at #39.

39. Paul Posluszny Outside Linebacker Penn State

IMO that's fair... might be worth taking a shot at him in the 2nd round if he's still there.

If you like your LBs with a bad knee.

Hard to justify buying damaged goods when you can get a comparable player who is healthy.

Hard to justify buying damaged goods when you can get a comparable player who is healthy.

Plus, it will take awhile to reprogram him from all the garbage that Old Man JoePa fed his head (see Larry Johnson)... you may be right.

your anit-poz sentiment is getting old! get over it!

What are you going to do when Willis is taken by SF and the Bills take Poz with the 12th pick?

And get off the knee thing. He hurt it in the 2005 orange bowl. It did not require surgury. He missed no gametime. He returned in 2006 and had nearly IDENTICAL production as he did in 2005 and still went on to win his second Bednarik Award for the best defensive player in the country. Does that sound like a guy with a bum knee?

your anit-pos sentiment is getting old! get over it!

What are you going to do when Willis is taken by SF and the Bills take Poz with the 12th pick?

And get off the knee thing. He hurt it in the 2005 orange bowl. It did not require surgury. He missed no gametime. He returned in 2006 and had nearly IDENTICAL production as he did in 2005 and still won his second Bernidick Award for the Best defensive player in the country. Does that sound like a guy with a bum knee?

You are seriously deluded if you think he was the same player in 2006 than he was in 2005.

The knee had a huge impact on his play in 2006.

Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't.

The Bills can not afford to take that chance with a 1st round pick, especially #12.

your anit-poz sentiment is getting old! get over it!

And get off the knee thing. He hurt it in the 2005 orange bowl. It did not require surgury. He missed no gametime. He returned in 2006 and had nearly IDENTICAL production as he did in 2005 and still went on to win his second Bednarik Award for the best defensive player in the country. Does that sound like a guy with a bum knee?

To me it isn't so much anti Poz as it is pushing Willis

I would be happy with either guy......but make no mistake Poz is a football player.

think Chris Speilman who is one of my all time favorite bills

I've watched Penn State closely these past years. Buddy of mine from high school plays center for them (A.Q. Shipley). Poz was great for two years, but an up-and-comer playing next to him at LB outshowed him this past season.

Should be interesting to see him in the NFL

You are seriously deluded if you think he was the same player in 2006 than he was in 2005.

The Bills can not afford to take that chance with a 1st round pick, especially #12.

I’m deluded?! HA!

OK, this is the part where I provide concrete evidence for my position and you respond by restating your baseless opinion over and over and over again.

Lets start with stats:

2005: Tackles: 116, Tackles for loss: 11, Sacks: 3

2006: Tackles: 116, Tackles for loss: 9.5, Sacks: 3

Pretty comparable, huh?

Now you might argue that he was not as explosive or did not make as many big plays in 2006 as 2005, but there are MULTIPLE reasons for this aside from his knee:

1.Penn State was a legitimate National Championship contender in 2005 (11-1, almost 12-0) as opposed to 2006 (9-4). Between 2005 and 2006 they lost a number of key players in important positions, including defensive linemen Tamba Hali and team captain Alan Zermitis. NO MATTER how good a LB is, his success will always be partially contingent on the quality of players around him, especially the D-linemen in front of him.

2. Poz played 2005 as a WLB in a 4-3 zone defense. In 2006, because of player personnel, the team moved him to ILB in a 3-4 zone defense. Because of his playing style, intangibles, size, he is much more suited to play the outside rather then the inside. He played the inside well in 2006, but it was clear that he the WLB was his natural position and his position of comfort.

3.AND as a PRECAUTION to the knee injury he suffered in the Orange Bowl and at the advice and recommendation of team doctors, Poz wore a large brace on his knee at the start of the 2006 season. He almost complained that it was limiting his explosiveness and mobility and eventually changed to a smaller/lighter brace. After the switch his production and comfort picked up considerably.

Despite ALL of this Poz STILL won the Bedardik award in 2006, maintained nearly identical stats as in 2005, and is still projected to be the top OLB in the NFL draft.

So again, deluded? Now whose deluded?!

To me it isn't so much anti Poz as it is pushing Willis

I would be happy with either guy......but make no mistake Poz is a football player.

think Chris Speilman who is one of my all time favorite bills

Oh I agree. I actually feel as though I'm in the minority in that I like the both and would be happy with either.

Actually, BECAUSE of current personnel alone, I think Willis would be a better fit then Poz. Only because Poz is probably best suited for WLB. He has veristility and can probably play the middle or strong side, but I think the his best probability for success would be on the weak side. Since it's almost all but certain that we have Ellison for that spot (and moving him is a non-factor because his size would not allow him to play inside or strong side at all), I think it makes MORE sense to keep Crowell on the strong side with Willis in the Middle and Ellison as the WLB then it is to have Poz/Crowell play the strong side or middle and have Ellison on the Weak side. I think situation one plays to everybodies' strengths much better.

That said, that's the ONLY reason I would pick Willis before Poz, otherwise they are both great LB's and probably will both be successful.

oh and here to back up everything I just said, Poz's scouting report from Scouts Inc. and ESPN:

Paul Posluszny

OLB | (6'1", 238, 4.63) | PENN STATE

Scouts Grade: 94

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Possesses good height, adequate bulk and room on frame to get bigger. He is one of the most instinctive linebackers in this year's class. Plays the game with tremendous intensity and toughness. Displays adequate speed and athleticism. Diagnoses plays as quickly as any linebacker in the country and takes outstanding angles in pursuit. He makes plays from sideline-to-sideline versus the run. Possesses adequate-to-good fluidity in hips. Has great range in zone coverage and will be able to match up versus most running backs in the NFL one-on-one. Displays excellent instincts and closing burst as a pass rusher. He's a natural leader with tremendous overall intangibles. Few work harder and respect the game more than him. Very good student, as well.

Weaknesses: Size is adequate but not elite, especially for teams that project him as a SLB in the NFL. May need to add some bulk to frame in order to hold up in the NFL. Effective in coverage, but lacks ideal ball skills and does not make many big plays in that facet of the game. Durability is an issue after knee injury in 2005-'06 Orange Bowl.

Overall: Posluszny played in eight games as a true freshman in 2003, recording 36 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception, and one fumble recovery. He then started all 11 games at outside linebacker in 2004 finishing the year with 104 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, three sacks, one interception, and one forced fumble. In 2005, Posluszny became a first team Associated Press All-American after starting every game (12) and registering 116 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss, and three sacks. Posluszny tore two ligaments in his right knee during Penn State's victory over Florida State in this year's Orange Bowl, but the injury did not require surgery. He returned to start all 13 games in 2006, finishing with 116 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and two forced fumbles, earning him first team All-American honors, an All-Big Ten first team (coaches) selection, and the Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player.

Posluszny is a throwback-type linebacker with very good physical tools and even better intangibles. [size="3"]He started slowly as a senior but he returned to form once he adjusted to his new position (from WLB in a 4-3 to ILB in a 3-4) and became more comfortable with a smaller knee brace.[/size] He possesses adequate size and speed, but his rare instincts and ferocious mentality are what make him a special player. Posluszny seems to fit best on the outside but he displays enough promise to play inside or both in the NFL, depending on the scheme. Regardless, he projects as one of the top-three linebackers in the 2007 class and should come off the board in the middle of the first round.

I also think that Mayock does a good job.

Agreed...He's the best in the business now, and that's no knock on Kiper cause I've always been a Kiper Fan...But Mayock takes it up a notch with His playing experience, his keen insight on technique, as well as His knowledge on NFL systems like the Cover 2 D, WCO, etc...

I think He was the only one to have Whitner going to the Bills last Year if I'm not mistaken... :worthy: