cookbook?

It was something with a london broil. I have one sitting in the fridge so I figured i'd make it before it went bad

marinades work great for London Broils. You want to tenderize it. Score it by piercing it with a fork all over. You would like some sort of acid to also help tenderize it. Lemon works nice, I usually use a red wine vinegar concoction. Marinade for a few hours at least. Searing works great. I usually start by searing the steak in a cast iron pan a couple minutes a side then finishing in the oven.

marinades work great for London Broils. You want to tenderize it. Score it by piercing it with a fork all over. You would like some sort of acid to also help tenderize it. Lemon works nice, I usually use a red wine vinegar concoction. Marinade for a few hours at least. Searing works great. I usually start by searing the steak in a cast iron pan a couple minutes a side then finishing in the oven.

good call...I'll probly use some sortof vinegar...maybe basalmic.

good call...I'll probly use some sortof vinegar...maybe basalmic.

Balsamic works. Simple marinade of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic (lots!) thyme (fresh is best, but dried will do), salt, cracked black pepper, bay leaf. If you're on the east coast I may have arrived with this too late. But good luck.

Balsamic works. Simple marinade of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic (lots!) thyme (fresh is best, but dried will do), salt, cracked black pepper, bay leaf. If you're on the east coast I may have arrived with this too late. But good luck.

There's my CIA boy. no just in time Chef I'm not going to cook this til monday night, but I'm going shopping tomorrow so I was trying to get an idea on what I would need to pick up. Thanks for the marinade idea, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Any prep suggestions???

There's my CIA boy. no just in time Chef I'm not going to cook this til monday night, but I'm going shopping tomorrow so I was trying to get an idea on what I would need to pick up. Thanks for the marinade idea, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Any prep suggestions???

A little pineapple juice also works well and lends some nice flavor (if you wish to delete some oil)

Hey Jim, you're a wine guy too, what kind of wine would you suggest with a London Broil. I was thinking something red and semi-dry.

Not to pre-empt Jim, as he is, indeed knowledgeable, but I'm going to suggest, to get the most for your $, you check out a nice Petite Sirah (unrelated to Sirah or Syrah or Shriaz). Here's the thing, Petite Sirahs are bigger and bolder than many modern reds (at the same price) which have gone quite soft, IMO. And, there are really very few BAD ones. Because it is not a "popular" wine, every crappy producer has not jumped on the PS bandwagon. There are a lot of bad Merlots, Syrahs. Zins, Pinots and Cabs in the market, but relatively few bad Petite Sirahs.

As an alternative, a nice Zin would be very cool, IMHO. if you can find one, a good Barbara is also a treet.

Not to pre-empt Jim, as he is, indeed knowledgeable, but I'm going to suggest, to get the most for your $, you check out a nice Petite Sirah (unrelated to Sirah or Syrah or Shriaz). Here's the thing, Petite Sirahs are bigger and bolder than many modern reds (at the same price) which have gone quite soft, IMO. And, there are really very few BAD ones. Because it is not a "popular" wine, every crappy producer has not jumped on the PS bandwagon. There are a lot of bad Merlots, Syrahs. Zins, Pinots and Cabs in the market, but relatively few bad Petite Sirahs.

As an alternative, a nice Zin would be very cool, IMHO. if you can find one, a good Barbara is also a treet.

wine, yummy! I am gonna crack open a bottle of Port. Oh how I love Port wine!

Thanks Dean, I'll keep those in mind when I go to the wine store tomorrow. Even if I don't have it with dinner this week...never hurts to stock up on things you've yet to try