Just bought tickets...

RU5781

Morrissey is one of the greats of our time. I saw him a few years ago in Philly, and he's playing at The Mann Center in Philly in June.
Yeah, but Iggy and the Stooges are playing the Electric Factory a week from tomorrow (and also the 9:30 Club this Thursday).

THAT is the can't miss Philly show so far this year IMO. <_<

Yeah, but Iggy and the Stooges are playing the Electric Factory a week from tomorrow (and also the 9:30 Club this Thursday).

THAT is the can't miss Philly show so far this year IMO. <_<

d00d, you got tickets for that? I'd love to see that show.

d00d, you got tickets for that? I'd love to see that show.
Yeah.. you can still buy tickets, while 9:30 Club sold out in a couple hours, go figure.

Not for the weak of heart, that's for sure... should be pretty rough near the front of the stage.

Also got tickets for Steely Dan at the Tower, talk about night & day. <_<

Yeah.. you can still buy tickets, while 9:30 Club sold out in a couple hours, go figure.

Not for the weak of heart, that's for sure... should be pretty rough near the front of the stage.

Also got tickets for Steely Dan at the Tower, talk about night & day. <_<

Heh, I haven't been in the pit since like 1995. Maybe I'll see you there.

Heh, I haven't been in the pit since like 1995. Maybe I'll see you there.
Last time I was at the Electric Factory was for Dylan in 2004, but it was just crowded.

Last time I was in the real "pit" was for the Pistols at AC in 2003,

I thought I was going to die... I expect more of the same for the Stooges. <_<

PM me if you do go, I'm taking the day off & will hit the line around 5 or so.

Last time I was at the Electric Factory was for Dylan in 2004, but it was just crowded.

Last time I was in the real "pit" was for the Pistols at AC in 2003,

I thought I was going to die... I expect more of the same for the Stooges. <_<

PM me if you do go, I'm taking the day off & will hit the line around 5 or so.

I should know a little later this week. I'll let you know.

:rolleyes:

It's nearing 5:30 where you are. Time to go to bed, old timer. :thumbsup:

You're right. I usually make it until 6:00pm but was tuckered out from laughing at this:

Morrissey is one of the greats of our time.
But what really knocked me out was the gaffaws from this beauty:

I hate to break it to you, but the Smiths are one of the most influential bands in the history of music

Laughing our asses off makes us old farts pretty sleepy.

Also got tickets for Steely Dan at the Tower, talk about night & day. :thumbsup:

I'll be seeing then a few days earlier at Hard Rock Live in Orlando (anybody been there? I could use a report), so I'll give you the early review.

I plan to take my brother (the musician) who's in pretty bad shape health-wise. I figure I can get a pretty sweet spot rolling in with this old bastard in a wheelchair. :rolleyes:

I'll be seeing then a few days earlier at Hard Rock Live in Orlando (anybody been there? I could use a report), so I'll give you the early review.

I plan to take my brother (the musician) who's in pretty bad shape health-wise. I figure I can get a pretty sweet spot rolling in with this old bastard in a wheelchair. :rolleyes:

That's cool... I like that they are finally playing smaller, indoor theaters. The Beacon shows should be tremendous, but I can't fit NYC into my schedule. :thumbsup:

BTW, tonight's Stooges show is being simulcast on NPR. I don't know that the 10:30 start time is right though, cause the 9:30 Club's site says they hit the stage at midnight. Either way, I'm not taking any chances... haven't been this psyched to see a show in a long time!

The Smiths have been amazingly influential on the rock bands of today. They grew up listening to them and site The Smiths as influences in interviews all the time. All indie rock and the like pretty much owes a huge debt to The Smiths.

The Smiths have been amazingly influential on the rock bands of today. They grew up listening to them and site The Smiths as influences in interviews all the time. All indie rock and the like pretty much owes a huge debt to The Smiths.

They were good and all but the Go-Betweens and the Chameleons and New Order were laying the groundwork for what they did years before. To hell with idol worship. Music is much better enjoyed as a thread of history, watching the chain reactions occur along it.

They were good and all but the Go-Betweens and the Chameleons and New Order were laying the groundwork for what they did years before. To hell with idol worship. Music is much better enjoyed as a thread of history, watching the chain reactions occur along it.

I'm just saying that they've had an influence on bands of today. That's it. It can be argued till your blue in the face who laid what groundwork etc. I personally have never been able to get into their music but i think it's pretty much undeniable the influence they've had on indie rock and such as a band that is often sited as inspirational.

I'm just saying that they've had an influence on bands of today. That's it. It can be argued till your blue in the face who laid what groundwork etc. I personally have never been able to get into their music but i think it's pretty much undeniable the influence they've had on indie rock and such as a band that is often sited.

I'm not arguing, so much as suggesting that the impulse should be then not just to canonize the Smiths but to look to who influenced them -- that indie rock (and any genre really) flows from many different streams. For every Smiths I can name a band like the Replacements or Minutemen or Big Black that had equal influence.

I'm not arguing, so much as suggesting that the impulse should be then not just to canonize the Smiths but to look to who influenced them -- that indie rock (and any genre really) flows from many different streams. For every Smiths I can name a band like the Replacements or Minutemen or Big Black that had equal influence.

Of course, i didn't mean arguing as in you were arguing, the general you :w00t:

and yes, i'm not saying that only the smiths influenced indie rock, that would be absurd. I am saying however that they are one band that did and does, and obviously they were influenced by previous musicians etc. you are reading too much into my words :) all music arises from somewhere at a certain time and is a conglomeration of a myriad of influences that constantly influence music to come. in that sense, no music is truly "original" but that is another debate.

Of course, i didn't mean arguing as in you were arguing, the general you :w00t:

and yes, i'm not saying that only the smiths influenced indie rock, that would be absurd. I am saying however that they are one band that did and does, and obviously they were influenced by previous musicians etc. you are reading too much into my words :) all music arises from somewhere at a certain time and is a conglomeration of a myriad of influences that constantly influence music to come. in that sense, no music is truly "original" but that is another debate.

Totally. My post is less directed at you and more at someone who might post that the Smiths are the most influential band in the history of music. ;)

Put them in streams that run parallel and co-mingle at times. Sketch probably finds the Smiths in what he listens to today ( lo fi noodlers like the Decemberists ?) where you or I may pick up some thing different in the streams.

Everytime I find something new and exciting it inevitably turn out to be nostalgia in the end. Echoes of something or other -- drives me nuts...

Put them in streams that run parallel and co-mingle at times. Sketch probably finds the Smiths in what he listens to today ( lo fi noodlers like the Decemberists ?) where you or I may pick up some thing different in the streams.

Everytime I find something new and exciting it inevitably turn out to be nostalgia in the end. Echoes of something or other -- drives me nuts...

Yes, good way to put it. :w00t:

Like I hear Rush, Black Sabbath, King Crimson etc. in a band like Tool, as another example....

Morrissey is one of the greats of our time. I saw him a few years ago in Philly, and he's playing at The Mann Center in Philly in June.

He's living proof that you can have career singing the same song with a vocal range of three notes...all off-key.

PTR

Yes, good way to put it. :w00t:

Like I hear Rush, Black Sabbath, King Crimson etc. in a band like Tool, as another example....

I find my " heavy, hooky and clever" in the Queens of the Stone Age and their offshoots these days.