Iran releases video of British hostages

What, they did it first:

Turkish and Iranian Troops Mass on the Border

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/iraq/articles/20060424.aspx

Now Iran has said it could delay the release of a British woman captured last week along with 14 other military personnel if the UK takes the issue to the U.N. Security Council or freezes relations.

But earlier Iran said they were holding them to see if they were a "security threat". Sooooo if they willing to let the woman go, there must not have been any worries about "security".

So now they are holdling them out of spite?

Really Mature, that ranks up their with their little "hate on the jews" cartoon contest.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a picture on my other computer from the helicopter over the ship that the British had boarded. The picture shows the GPS receiver in the sailor's hand with the ship below him. The coordinates are clearly visible. The error in location is 46 feet. I have the next model down in price and it is still working fine being 3.5 years old. When I get a chance, I will post it.

They were 2 nautical miles inside Iraqi waters.

I have a picture on my other computer from the helicopter over the ship that the British had boarded. The picture shows the GPS receiver in the sailor's hand with the ship below him. The coordinates are clearly visible. The error in location is 46 feet. I have the next model down in price and it is still working fine being 3.5 years old. When I get a chance, I will post it.

They were 2 nautical miles inside Iraqi waters.

I saw the same picture, but it will be disputed as phony or inaccurate. Who's to say if the picture was taken at the same time of the incident, or if the ship had moved, or if the equipment was manipulated to show that data. Or great things can be done with photoshop. All I'm saying is that it can be disputed as being doctored by Iran because it's not from an independent source.

I'd call it a completely different situation. From all accounts, the Iranians entered Iraqi waters to detain the British sailors. At worst, there's a dispute as to exactly where the sailors were. There's no dispute that Iranians were detained in Iraq.

Had US forces actually crossed the border into Iran and "detained" five Iranians...yeah, that would be kidnapping. Detaining them in Baghdad...not so much.

It wasn't in Baghdad, it was in the north, and the U.S. forces entered the Iranian consulate, which was considered sovereign territory which can't be entered without permission, like an embassy.

Good thing the world is protected by kind, open-minded and understanding people like you.

What would we do without your tolerance of others, PJ?

You would follow the Bush policy of shooting first and asking questions later. I'm just trying to set a good example for others. What would Jesus do?

You would follow the Bush policy of shooting first and asking questions later. I'm just trying to set a good example for others. What would Jesus do?

If that were the case, Iran and North Korea would be gone today.

But hell, if it makes you feel better to say it.....

It wasn't in Baghdad, it was in the north, and the U.S. forces entered the Iranian consulate, which was considered sovereign territory which can't be entered without permission, like an embassy.

They did?

It wasn't in Baghdad, it was in the north,

So !@#$ing what? Stick to relevancies.

and the U.S. forces entered the Iranian consulate, which was considered sovereign territory which can't be entered without permission, like an embassy.

Well, then, that would be kidnapping, wouldn't it?

So !@#$ing what? Stick to relevancies.

Well, then, that would be kidnapping, wouldn't it?

Stick to facts if you're going to make affirmative statements.

Yes, that taking of the Iranians would be kidnapping. If the British were in Iranian waters then they would be detainees like illegal Mexicans in the U.S., not kidnapped, which was my original point. Words count in how actions are perceived by the public.

You mean like the one where they were taken from an Iranian Consulate?

From the BBC News:

US forces have stormed a building in the northern Iraqi town of Irbil and seized six people said to be Iranians, prompting a diplomatic incident. Iranian and Iraqi officials said the building was an Iranian consulate and the detainees its employees.

Irbil lies in Iraq's Kurdish-controlled north, about 350km (220 miles) from the capital Baghdad. Reports say the Iranian consulate there was set up last year under an agreement with the Kurdish regional government to facilitate cross-border visits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6251167.stm

Of course the U.S. said it wasn't a consulate, so I guess we don't care what Iraqi officials say about consulates in their own country.

From the BBC News:

US forces have stormed a building in the northern Iraqi town of Irbil and seized six people said to be Iranians, prompting a diplomatic incident. Iranian and Iraqi officials said the building was an Iranian consulate and the detainees its employees.

Irbil lies in Iraq's Kurdish-controlled north, about 350km (220 miles) from the capital Baghdad. Reports say the Iranian consulate there was set up last year under an agreement with the Kurdish regional government to facilitate cross-border visits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6251167.stm

Of course the U.S. said it wasn't a consulate, so I guess we don't care what Iraqi officials say about consulates in their own country.

Where's Coli when you need a quick job of multiple links supporting your position?

Linky 1

The Kurdish government had approved the opening of the Iranian Liaison Office, which provided consular services and which Iran wants to upgrade to a formal consulate, the Iraqi foreign minister said. ....

Iran's foreign ministry summoned Iraqi and Swiss diplomats to protest and demand an explanation, according to Iran's mission to the United Nations. Switzerland represents U.S. interests in Iran. Tehran contends that the five men detained are all diplomats, an assertion that Iraq's foreign minister and U.S. officials reject.

Let's use Wiki.

How about linking another BBC article that has more information in it?

The Iraqi authorities have said it was a liaison office in the process of being registered as a consulate.

Joey...try as you might, youve LOST the argument.

Regaldless of who was taken or why, the fact is that the Iranians taken were not stripped of their dignity and diplayed on TV for all to see while the US played a game of "truth or dare" with the Iranians.

The Iranians are more or less acting like cheap terrorist thugs (no surprising).

It's not an argument, it's about stating facts. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own set of facts. And how do you know that the Iranians aren't being stripped of their dignity? Nobody knew what happened at Abu Garab either. Stick to facts, even if they don't support your opinions.

Yeah, huh? The Iranians taken were forced to do what the British sailors are?

Abu Gharib was an incident carried out by a bunch of low-level soliders. Whats going on now is state snctioned activity.

And stop with the speculation about how "bad" we are. You sound like that fat !@#$ Rosie who was equating this incident to the Gulf of Tonkin.

Another point being lost here, the dirt bags at Gitmo are not uniformed members of a country's army.

I am pretty sure when they started cut the heads off people and videotaping it they should loose some rights granted to soldiers in a legitimate army.

The British marines were on UN mandated mission to stop smuggling.

Why aren't the UN supporting left wing moonbats aren't up in arms over that?

How can the UN save the world if people are going to do that their folks?