Obama the 'Magic Negro'

Just imagine if a white person wrote this. Hard to believe some of the comparisons in this piece.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-...-opinion-center

Is it just me or does David Ehrenstein think that any and every black man who became successful did so only as a result of "white guilt"? This is really disgusting.

Just imagine if a white person wrote this. Hard to believe some of the comparisons in this piece.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-...-opinion-center

Is it just me or does David Ehrenstein think that any and every black man who became successful did so only as a result of "white guilt"? This is really disgusting.

Even better:

Why does a song titled "Barak the Magic Negro" stick in my head?

"Barak the Magic Negro lived by the lake..." That's all I can think of now. :unsure:

And Little Jackie Paper is the Main Stream Media?

I am starting to figure Wacka-World out. Slowly, but I am.

Actually, the article makes sense when talking of the role of African-Americans in films.

I think much of what he wrote was borrowed from Professor Donald Bogle (UPenn) in his book which was titled, "Toms, Coons, Mammies, Mulattos, and Bucks." This happens to be one of the best books I ever read, in that it points out the absurd and demeaning roles that black actors were given.

There really are countless movies with black "buddies" (the linked article calls them saviors) who, for some unexplained reason, dedicate themselves to saving the nearest white person. For instance, Professor Bogle likens Whoppi Goldberg to a "modern day mammie." Another example is Bill Robinson, perhaps the greatest dancer who ever lived. He of course was running around, dancing with Shirley Temple. It just makes no sense.

I fail to see what this has to do with Obama mind you, but the topic is fascinating, and the book is a true eye opener.

Actually, the article makes sense when talking of the role of African-Americans in films.

I think much of what he wrote was borrowed from Professor Donald Bogle (UPenn) in his book which was titled, "Toms, Coons, Mammies, Mulattos, and Bucks." This happens to be one of the best books I ever read, in that it points out the absurd and demeaning roles that black actors were given.

There really are countless movies with black "buddies" (the linked article calls them saviors) who, for some unexplained reason, dedicate themselves to saving the nearest white person. For instance, Professor Bogle likens Whoppi Goldberg to a "modern day mammie." Another example is Bill Robinson, perhaps the greatest dancer who ever lived. He of course was running around, dancing with Shirley Temple. It just makes no sense.

I fail to see what this has to do with Obama mind you, but the topic is fascinating, and the book is a true eye opener.

I'm glad you brought this up. "The Magical Blackman" is a motif that I studied in a film class in college. And once you're aware of it, it sticks out like crazy...The Matrix (Oracle), Legend of Bagger Vance (blatant), Huckleberry Finn, the list goes on and on.