Interesting scouting site

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

Here is their disclaimer:

Below is a list of players that each team has shown interest in during the draft preparation process including all-star games, the Scouting Combine, and private workouts.

This info was compiled through many sources that include our own insiders.

This may not include everyone a team has shown interest in or even indicate which player a team will select. It should give you a good idea of what they are thinking though.

And here are the players the Bills have allegedly shown interest in:
Buffalo Bills

Quarterbacks:

Troy Smith, Ohio State

Running Backs:

Marshawn Lynch, California

Fullbacks:

Brian Leonard, Rutgers

Wide Receivers:

Aundrae Allison, East Carolina, Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State, Anthony Gonzalez, Ohio State, Brandon Myles, West Virginia

Tight Ends:

Scott Chandler, Iowa

Offensive Tackles:

None

Offensive Guards:

Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Centers:

Dustin Fry, Clemson, Ryan Kalil, Southern California

Defensive Ends:

None

Defensive Tackles:

Amobi Okoye, Louisville

Outside Linebackers:

Paul Posluszny, Penn State

Inside Linebackers:

Patrick Willis, Mississippi

Cornerbacks:

Leon Hall, Michigan, Marcus McCauley, Fresno State, Aaron Ross, Texas

Safeties:

None

Kickers/Punters:

None

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

Here is their disclaimer:

And here are the players the Bills have allegedly shown interest in:

One caveat in all this is - and correct me if I'm wrong here - I don't think the Bills even talked to Whitner at the combines or later - they knew what kind of talent he was. I believe that during the Donahoe era, we were much more likely to tip our hand with comments but I just don't think we can read all that much into our first round selection process from the meet and greets. However, some of the potential later picks are probably being looked at in this manner so it does bear watching.

Kelly, you are Fair and very balanced. Question: do you think the Bills will make a linebacker move prior to the draft (i.e., Cato June or even Briggs)? Concentrate the draft on DT and Running back?

I honestly don't think teams think or work like that. I think they look at everything, and try everything. For example, I think they look hard at June and at Briggs and a dozen other LBs. They debate the strengths and weaknesses, and debate what they think he is worth. A June they may love at 2 mil a year and hate at 3 mil a year. A Briggs may be worth 20 million in guaranteed money but NOT worth 20 mil in guaranteed money AND a #2 draft pick. So you can't look at it as if they like or dislike a guy, want or don't want them. They look at everyone and every position like that. I think they have a dollar figure in mind for Chris Brown. If they can get him for that number they will sign him, if he wants more than that, they likely won't. They wait it out and see if he and his agent budges. If they don't sign him, then RB becomes a slightly bigger need. But it's an ongoing debate and flux.

When they get to the draft, of course they know what positions are of most need, but they don't know who is going to be there when it's their pick. They don't know what other teams are going to offer in a trade until it happens, and/or who is left on the board at that very minute. So everything is in flow. There is no way they speak in terms like fans do, i.e., we'll go DT in the first, RB in the 2nd, LB in the 3rd, etc. If a guy is there they love who is an OG or WR or TE in the 2nd or 3rd, they may take him, especially if the guys they like at a position of need are already gone. If at their pick in the 2nd round a DT who is 8 spots less on their board is still available but a OG that is the top rated guy on their board is still there, they will debate hard what the better choice would be, and could go either way.

Also, they aren't going to win the SB this year, they have a lot of holes to fill and can't do it all in one fell swoope. So they might as well take the best player.

One caveat in all this is - and correct me if I'm wrong here - I don't think the Bills even talked to Whitner at the combines or later - they knew what kind of talent he was. I believe that during the Donahoe era, we were much more likely to tip our hand with comments but I just don't think we can read all that much into our first round selection process from the meet and greets. However, some of the potential later picks are probably being looked at in this manner so it does bear watching.

True. But there is a lot of gamesmanship going on with all the teams. Because the Bills did that last year doesn't mean they will do it this year. In fact, they may talk to a guy out in the open so teams don't think they're going to take him. It's all a big poker game.

Plus, you can afford to do that with a player like Whitner because everything they heard about him was stellar, as far as character goes. if it were the other way, and he wasn't known to be a great locker room guy, they would have perhaps NEEDED to talk to him.

I find this list immensly interesting. I now wonder does it have any predictive value at all. For ex., no interest in DEs; therefore, we're not drafting one. Which certainly makes sense with our current roster. But where it gets interesting is other positions such as RB. Can we infer that IF we draft a RB it would be Lynch; therefore, if he gets selected, we don't draft a RB? Similarly the DT position seems to not be an area of interest other than Okoye. And with 4 WRs on the list, does that mean we're drafting one - something I had not considered prior to seeing this list.

Any idea what their 2006 list looked like? Upon a cursory review of their site, I didn't see an archive section.

True. But there is a lot of gamesmanship going on with all the teams. Because the Bills did that last year doesn't mean they will do it this year. In fact, they may talk to a guy out in the open so teams don't think they're going to take him. It's all a big poker game.

Somebody knew what the Bills were up to -- one of the fat headed pundits prepared us for the pick, can't remember which. We were aware that the team liked some oddity so much that they might not risk trading back.

I am gaining more and more interest in the sites that may have interesting sources (against those that claim to be talent evaluators) if only to avoid the badmouthing of 20 year olds who are far from finished products. Both are woefully inexact but the "source" type are closer to what matters.

From comments following last years draft, one or two the players that we drafted (I think McCargo at the very least) commented that they hadn't talked to the Bills at all. In response to this Marv or Modrak was asked about this and they indicated that they don't always talk to who they are interested in if they think they know enough about a player (maybe through college coaching contacts?) but will talk to them if they don't know much.

At the very least though this shows what positions they are spending more time mulling over.

From comments following last years draft, one or two the players that we drafted (I think McCargo at the very least) commented that they hadn't talked to the Bills at all. In response to this Marv or Modrak was asked about this and they indicated that they don't always talk to who they are interested in if they think they know enough about a player (maybe through college coaching contacts?) but will talk to them if they don't know much.

At the very least though this shows what positions they are spending more time mulling over.

Excellent point. And I would agree, at the least it would appear to give an indication as to what positions they may be drafting for.

I wonder what a mock draft just using these players (plus a few addtional sure fires) as our picks would look like? Man, if I were only so motivated I bet I'd have a great looking and very realistic mock draft.