What if Okoye, Peterson, Branch, Hall, Lynch, Ginn, Willis are availab

Now Whitner was a real shocker for all of us on draft day as my heart stopped beating momentarily that day when I heard the pick. Although the pick turned out to be "okay", I don't want to go through that again this year with another surprise pick.

There will already be enough stress waiting to see which direction they will go, please just pick Willis, Okoye, Branch, Peterson or Lynch with #12. Since they have traded to get back into the first round twice in the last three years, I would love to see them draft Okoye if he's there at 12, then trade up to get Willis if he falls to around 20. Man, that would be two awesome young acquistions for our up and coming D.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the scenario the choice is obvious !! "With the 12 th pick in the first round the Buffalo Bills select...

Troy Smith QB Ohio State".

Actually they all sound good but the more I've seen of Chris Houston (in game clips, not workouts) he looks like a great cover man. He may have a personality of a McGahee or worse (I have no idea) but he looks like a stud... but probably too high for him.

Go Bills !

Since they have traded to get back into the first round twice in the last three years, I would love to see them draft Okoye if he's there at 12, then trade up to get Willis if he falls to around 20. Man, that would be two awesome young acquistions for our up and coming D.

we would probably have to trade away next years #1 to get back into the 1st at 20. as it stands, i think our 2nd and OUR 3rd would get us in at #27 if the Saints wanted to trade...

i guess we COULD trade away next years, and then use the 3rd and 2nd to get in next year. but that leaves us with just a late 1st and a 3rd on the first day next year.

Minus Ginn, I would truly be happy with any of the others you mentioned. They all represent upgrades at need positions. We can't go wrong the way I see it............can we?

I've seen draft guru Mike Mayock describe Branch as a boom or bust player. Could be a Pro Bowler or a total wash out.

Even if he drops, I would bet the Bills pass on him due to the big downside.

If this assessment is true, I could see Okoye going being before Branch - thus making Willis the more likely pick.

I've seen draft guru Mike Mayock describe Branch as a boom or bust player. Could be a Pro Bowler or a total wash out.

Even if he drops, I would bet the Bills pass on him due to the big downside.

If this assessment is true, I could see Okoye going being before Branch - thus making Willis the more likely pick.

whats his big downside? other than Mayock going out on a HUGE limb and saying "this guy may be great, or he may be a bust"

Now Whitner was a real shocker for all of us on draft day as my heart stopped beating momentarily that day when I heard the pick. Although the pick turned out to be "okay", I don't want to go through that again this year with another surprise pick.

There will already be enough stress waiting to see which direction they will go, please just pick Willis, Okoye, Branch, Peterson or Lynch with #12. Since they have traded to get back into the first round twice in the last three years, I would love to see them draft Okoye if he's there at 12, then trade up to get Willis if he falls to around 20. Man, that would be two awesome young acquistions for our up and coming D.

It would be a shocker to me if they tap a RB with their #12.

It would be a shocker to me if they tap a RB with their #12.

How would it compare to when they took Whitner. He turned in to a solid player but I must admit I was bummin' when I heard that selection. I don't think a running back would surprise me quite as much since the cupboard is almost bare (sorry A-Train fans). But defense seems to be the consensus.

How would it compare to when they took Whitner. He turned in to a solid player but I must admit I was bummin' when I heard that selection. I don't think a running back would surprise me quite as much since the cupboard is almost bare (sorry A-Train fans). But defense seems to be the consensus.

They had a bleeding need at Safety.

FWIW, the local club here had him squarely in their sights - they surely scout OSU well - and ended up buying FA Dexter Jackson.

And rookie Madieu Williams was coming off shoulder injury.

If all these players were available to us when the #12 came around I think the answer is obvious,

Trade down.

We have several needs which a first rounder could help plug, but no one choice is going to fill them all. If we trade down and get additional first day choices, we might get a first day pick or picks which help us fill all the holes and if you can pull off a trade without dropping an inordinate number of slots, you still get one of the guys you named (maybe 2) with the extra picks.

The key to the draft seems to me to be to get the players you want and if there is no firm reason to choose a particular player (our safety need made us want one of the two highest rated safties with our #8 and when OAK surprisingly took Huff at #7 and DET at #9 had a clear safety need (which they then filled with the second pick after we took Whitner then our choice became obvious).

Given there are at least 5 players on your list that I think fill a need of ours, then the Bills could easily trade down 4 slots and pick up an extra 2nd rounder for doing so and still get one of these 5.

Who would be buying? High picks have effect on the rookie allocation cap.

Unfortunately there is no real answer which is specific beyond it depends,

There are simply so many variables involved if one really wants to sort this out that it is a multi-variable equation which defies easy solution despite what the ESN driven pundits and the fantasy league "experts" say.

This is why many of the most high profile pundits simply list their rankings of players rather than saying who will be picked by whom as they usually hold together until about the 10th pick and then someone does something unexpected and the entire draft is altered because someone is available whom all logic said they would be gone.

The question which leads this thread strikes me as so obvious because it sets as an assumption that at least 4 guys thought by most pundit to be gone by #12 are still around. In this case it becomes relatively obvious to a Bills braintrust which would have called the 1st round a success if they got any one of these guys that they can easily trade down several spots and still get a player who makes the round successful.

The real loser in this equation would likely be the vets as our rookie cap goes up and thus lowers the amount of money available in a cash to cap world to spend.

However, since cash to cap is really a choice by us, we certainly would have a right to skip sticking to the letter of this guideline if we choose to do so.

For my purposes if the unlikely world of the assumption of this thread were to occur, then I want in exchange for giving up #12 I want at least 1200 points in equivalence (ex, I give up #12 avd drop back into the low 20s and pick up an additional second rounder), Lets say Kiper's picks are correct (I know they are wrong but we already are in fantasy world with the premise of the thread) I end up with an extra second for dropping back and in his world I use my 20s pick to take the DT between Okoye and Branch (probably Branch) and still have a second rounder which I can easily use to pick up someone like Irons. Alternately the DTs are gone but in Kiper land Willis is still around so I pick him but play him at OLB (which apparently he can play) and slide Crowell over to MLB since it is my contention that this role requires vet reads which Willis will not be able to do immediately at MLB.

Sure the rookie cap we are assigned goes down, but if need be then this comes out of the money I have for signing vets and Manning at LB almost certainly gets cut under this configuration,

Lets say something happens like the Nears offer us Briggs in exchange for TKO straight up, though this blows the cash to cap planning, it does not actually exceed the actual salary cap and with Briggs, Crowell and Willis backed up by Ellison, Haggan, and Wire, i think i have the best LB crew in the league.

Its all fantasy so who knows.

How bout instead of a Whitner, the Bills pull a BUNKLEY or a WINSTON

Hey, I wanted Justice or Ngata (never wanted Bunkley) and was bummed out with the pick. I guess it's the brain washing from all the mag's etc. that made it tough to take having my team use the eighth choice on a guy not rated near that high. Guess that's why I'm making high priced gasoline, Mel Kiper is not on a team's payroll and so many of the so called "reaches" turn out well.