What if Okoye, Peterson, Branch, Hall, Lynch, Ginn, Willis are availab

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I wanted Justice or Ngata (never wanted Bunkley) and was bummed out with the pick. I guess it's the brain washing from all the mag's etc. that made it tough to take having my team use the eighth choice on a guy not rated near that high. Guess that's why I'm making high priced gasoline, Mel Kiper is not on a team's payroll and so many of the so called "reaches" turn out well.
Pro Football Weekly had Whitner rated as the highest safety. (They projected Huff at CB). They had him rated as a first round pick.

Pro Football Weekly had Whitner rated as the highest safety. (They projected Huff at CB). They had him rated as a first round pick.

Don't dispute that. But no one had him rated near #8. Only Mike Mayock, after he was told that the Bills were going take him, rated him that high. I think everyone was shocked by the pick, but in hindsight it was an excellent choice. But two months before the draft the majority of publications I subscribe to had him anywhere from late first to mid second.

Don't dispute that. But no one had him rated near #8. Only Mike Mayock, after he was told that the Bills were going take him, rated him that high. I think everyone was shocked by the pick, but in hindsight it was an excellent choice. But two months before the draft the majority of publications I subscribe to had him anywhere from late first to mid second.

True... But he was a "fast riser" up draft boards -- and would have gone no later than 12-13 if the Bills hadn't taken him. When it is all said and done -- he may have been a slight reach but he was a SAFE pick.

For those looking at what Marv is liable to do this time around... think SAFE. What player ranked, say, in the top 20-25 (allowing for a bit of a reach) might fill a need -- and at the same time be a sure thing. By sure thing, I don't necessarily mean high upside... I mean someone liable to fill a position of need, has no character issues, no serious injury risks, and would be a consensus type pick. Also think YOUNG. Marv made it a point last year to go after juniors. When we start looking at this kind of profile, I think we can narrow the field down quickly.

This is the kind of childish, premature reaction that has made me not want to participate in any discussion of the draft, even though I'm biting my tongue trying not to. To say that the whitner pick was 'okay' after ONE FUGGIN season is beyond ridiculous. Do we REALLY need to make a list of all the impact players in the NFL who had average to merely above average rookie seasons? Who the hell are any of us to declare that we have better insight into who the right players are for this offensive/defensive system, the chemistry of the team, and the time-to-impact category that's so critical to scouting? Who the hell are any of us to say that because we read a few Websites written by armchair draftnicks or worse, paid draftnicks like Mel "Bandwagon" Kiper, that we know better than MOdrak and his scouts, with decades of experience in the business...?

I'll take any bet that there will come a day, not too far off, when anyone who questioned the Whitner pick will hope that they're not remembered as a guy who questioned the Whitner pick. Provided he stays healthy.

I think last year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best the Bills have had in years. Probably since 2001, only potentially better, considering the entire second day of that draft was a total bust-out loss.

If the Bills don't take a guy that you think you like because Mel Kiper or Pete Prisco wrote something sexy about them and you fell in love with your own imaginings of wearing that guy's jersey, then maybe it's time to stop reading all the draft sites and instead pick up some books on college scouting, ask some of the Bills scouts for tips on how to educate yourself, and start watching a ton of tape.

I'll continue to believe that guys like Modrak and Levy will do a better job than I could. Or you could.

What if Okoye, Peterson, Branch, Hall, Lynch, Ginn, Willis are availab, and they pull a Donte Whitner on us again

That really isn't a good comparison of last years 'pulling a Donte Whitner'. Which top flight players were left on your draft board when we selected Whitner? N'Gata, Justice & Bunkley were the only players I recall people getting hot & bothered about. Considering that Justice dropped to the second, Bunkley dropped & didn't perform & N'Gata simply was not a fit for the defensive system, your comparison is implying a tonne of things that it shouldn't.

What about Johnson, Thomas, Russell, Adams, Quinn, Landry, Anderson, Brown, Carriker, Bowe, Timmons, Houston, Moss, Jarrett, Olsen, Smith, Grubbs......etc, etc, etc.

Actually, I don't understand what it was you were implying by 'pull a Donte Whitner' on us. Whitner filled a big need & there was no 'sure things' left on the board.

Perhaps 'pulling a Whitner' this year will be to draft Willis at the #12 spot when Branch was still available. Willis looks like he will go mid 20s at this point & the questions regarding Branch are numerous(including scheme fitting).

Cheer up, life is too short! :wallbash: Its just an opionion. If you don't like it, don't respond to the post.

If an "opinion" or "comment" that YOU don't agree with ruffles your feathers this much, maybe open message boards aren't for you! :beer:

By the way, I happen to like the work Kiper does on his collegiate player analysis and like many other people who try and predict NFL Drafts, there are hits and misses on everyone by everyone.

I agree that its too early to tell if Whitner and Simpson and K. Williams, etc... will only be "okay" players. Maybe they will turn out to be All-Pro's, then again maybe they won't. Calling them "okay" picks for now is appropriate for the time being until proven otherwise. Yes, I think the Bills draft class of 2006 turned out to be pretty darn good but its too early to tell either way HOW good it really will be.

This is the kind of childish, premature reaction that has made me not want to participate in any discussion of the draft, even though I'm biting my tongue trying not to. To say that the whitner pick was 'okay' after ONE FUGGIN season is beyond ridiculous. Do we REALLY need to make a list of all the impact players in the NFL who had average to merely above average rookie seasons? Who the hell are any of us to declare that we have better insight into who the right players are for this offensive/defensive system, the chemistry of the team, and the time-to-impact category that's so critical to scouting? Who the hell are any of us to say that because we read a few Websites written by armchair draftnicks or worse, paid draftnicks like Mel "Bandwagon" Kiper, that we know better than MOdrak and his scouts, with decades of experience in the business...?

I'll take any bet that there will come a day, not too far off, when anyone who questioned the Whitner pick will hope that they're not remembered as a guy who questioned the Whitner pick. Provided he stays healthy.

I think last year's draft is shaping up to be one of the best the Bills have had in years. Probably since 2001, only potentially better, considering the entire second day of that draft was a total bust-out loss.

If the Bills don't take a guy that you think you like because Mel Kiper or Pete Prisco wrote something sexy about them and you fell in love with your own imaginings of wearing that guy's jersey, then maybe it's time to stop reading all the draft sites and instead pick up some books on college scouting, ask some of the Bills scouts for tips on how to educate yourself, and start watching a ton of tape.

I'll continue to believe that guys like Modrak and Levy will do a better job than I could. Or you could.

Now Whitner was a real shocker for all of us on draft day as my heart stopped beating momentarily that day when I heard the pick. Although the pick turned out to be "okay", I don't want to go through that again this year with another surprise pick.

There will already be enough stress waiting to see which direction they will go, please just pick Willis, Okoye, Branch, Peterson or Lynch with #12. Since they have traded to get back into the first round twice in the last three years, I would love to see them draft Okoye if he's there at 12, then trade up to get Willis if he falls to around 20. Man, that would be two awesome young acquistions for our up and coming D.

what about leon hall?? We have Mcgee or either K. thomas and an unproven Youboty. We desparately need a good CB! Leon Hall looks like the best CB coming out.

Its ok to question, whom ever we feel is making the wrong descion; thus, the notion of democracy. Just because someone is in a position of leadership, does not make their judgement and perception infallible. Donte was a suprising pick that warranted intial criticisim. If the Bills scouts are so diligent and efficient, then why haven't the Bills made the post season in over a decade?????

Basically you're saying Whitner was the presumed pick by you all along and it was not a surprise. All the power to you genie!

You probably also predicted the trade up back into the first round to grab McCargo! You go man!! :wallbash:

I was thinking N'Gata, Bunkley, Justice, or for sure I thought they might go to Ernie Sims. At the time, nobody would have complained about any of those players but alot of people if I remember correctly, were pretty shell shocked at the Whitner selection at the time. Bills Fans AND numerous NFL Draft analysts across the nation were stunned. Heck, I would have even preferred Leinart at the time over Whitner based on what Losman had done (or not done) the previous season. Yes, I'm glad I was wrong about the Bills 1st round pick last year and I'm quite content with Whitner at our safety position for years to come.

I'm also really happy with Losman's development at the QB position. It doesn't change the fact that we once again are throwing around the same 5-6 names that we think are going to be on the board when its our turn at 12 and will the Bills surprise all of us yet again with someone nobody is really mentioning that much (aka Whitner). Oh yes, that is a very realistic situation and good comparison since Marv and crew always have something smart up their sleeve.

That really isn't a good comparison of last years 'pulling a Donte Whitner'. Which top flight players were left on your draft board when we selected Whitner? N'Gata, Justice & Bunkley were the only players I recall people getting hot & bothered about. Considering that Justice dropped to the second, Bunkley dropped & didn't perform & N'Gata simply was not a fit for the defensive system, your comparison is implying a tonne of things that it shouldn't.

What about Johnson, Thomas, Russell, Adams, Quinn, Landry, Anderson, Brown, Carriker, Bowe, Timmons, Houston, Moss, Jarrett, Olsen, Smith, Grubbs......etc, etc, etc.

Actually, I don't understand what it was you were implying by 'pull a Donte Whitner' on us. Whitner filled a big need & there was no 'sure things' left on the board.

Perhaps 'pulling a Whitner' this year will be to draft Willis at the #12 spot when Branch was still available. Willis looks like he will go mid 20s at this point & the questions regarding Branch are numerous(including scheme fitting).

I couldn't agree with you more DAJUICE

Its ok to question, whom ever we feel is making the wrong descion; thus, the notion of democracy. Just because someone is in a position of leadership, does not make their judgement and perception infallible. Donte was a suprising pick that warranted intial criticisim. If the Bills scouts are so diligent and efficient, then why haven't the Bills made the post season in over a decade?????

Basically you're saying Whitner was the presumed pick by you all along and it was not a surprise. All the power to you genie!

:wallbash:

No I wasn't. I was pointing out that the 'stud' picks were all gone. In your list, you not only list stud picks(Peterson, Hall) but you also list picks that would be the equivalent of Whitner(Willis, Ginn).

Your list implies that when we selected Whitner there were some top 7 talent left and he was projected well below the mid tier(which, yes a few had him lower, but most, ESPNs big board included, had him around 20).....neither of which was the case.

I don't know if you meant to imply this but the list you put forward certainly does.

As I said, a more appropriate list to emulate the 'pulling a Whitner' might be selecting Willis(or maybe Timmons) with Branch, Lynch & Ginn still on the board.

what about leon hall?? We have Mcgee or either K. thomas and an unproven Youboty. We desparately need a good CB! Leon Hall looks like the best CB coming out.

I think the disagreement here is that some (and I count myself among them) do not fell at all that this team desperately needs a "good" (whatever you mean by that) CB,

The Cover 2 the way we employ it can actually be adequately manned by a player whom I would judge to be a second tier CB (and what I mean by that is a fairly average starting CB who could only get to the Pro Bowl with an airline ticket to Hawaii he paid for and a ticket to the game).

Everyone wants to have a good CB, but the Bills were smart to agree not to franchise MC a second time in exchange for a promise of labor peace from him because they did not give up anything for getting NC to agree to follow the letter of the CBA and simply play last season.

There is no way the Bills would (or should) pay what the market would give NC to play CB because no CB is gonna be able to make plays in our Cover 2 which would justify either the cap hit the market would give him for a contract or even the cap hit of the average of the top 5 CBs if we franchised him again this year.

We got another on point example of how the CB position as we play it denies a playmaking CB the opportunity to produce when Dre Bly publicly announced he was leaving Detroit as an FA because he hated playing CB in a Cover 2 which was designed by Jauron,

As it stands right now, the Bills actually could go into the season with our CBs being McGee, Thomas, Youbouty and Greer and actually that foursome could adequately man our CB needs. I myself would be more comfortable if we had signed an FA a little better than Thomas to challenge Youbouty for the #2 CB spot. but this still may happen and even if it does not happen, if the coaches know something we do not know (which I am sure they do since they have forgotten more about football than most of us have learned) we could be OK with our current for if (Youbouty actually merited a 1ast round choice last year as many mocks indicated and he is actually a Leon Hall level player with a year's pro experience, or Thomas really has more to offer than most of us guess. or the real deal about McGee what he showed in the second half of last year rather than his sorry performance in the 1st half.

I hope we get another CB but a cheap FA or a 4th round choice would seem to me to fit our needs better than a 1st round pick which is better spent on a real football need by the Bills. Nick Harper and Jason David were quite adequate as CBs in the Colts Cover 2 and FA Harper was definitely viewed as a step down from the most sought after CBs like Nate Clements or Assante Samuel.

The Bills simply do not have a desperate need for a CB unless folks are caught up in the idea that we must replace Nate Clements with a similarly skilled player. if that was the Bills need then they would have signed NC last year when they could have had him far more cheaply. Instead they decided way back when that they were going to go forward without paying the cost a CB of that skill level requires whether he is an FA or the slot a 1st rounder commands.

I think the disagreement here is that some (and I count myself among them) do not fell at all that this team desperately needs a "good" (whatever you mean by that) CB,

The Cover 2 the way we employ it can actually be adequately manned by a player whom I would judge to be a second tier CB (and what I mean by that is a fairly average starting CB who could only get to the Pro Bowl with an airline ticket to Hawaii he paid for and a ticket to the game).

Everyone wants to have a good CB, but the Bills were smart to agree not to franchise MC a second time in exchange for a promise of labor peace from him because they did not give up anything for getting NC to agree to follow the letter of the CBA and simply play last season.

There is no way the Bills would (or should) pay what the market would give NC to play CB because no CB is gonna be able to make plays in our Cover 2 which would justify either the cap hit the market would give him for a contract or even the cap hit of the average of the top 5 CBs if we franchised him again this year.

We got another on point example of how the CB position as we play it denies a playmaking CB the opportunity to produce when Dre Bly publicly announced he was leaving Detroit as an FA because he hated playing CB in a Cover 2 which was designed by Jauron,

As it stands right now, the Bills actually could go into the season with our CBs being McGee, Thomas, Youbouty and Greer and actually that foursome could adequately man our CB needs. I myself would be more comfortable if we had signed an FA a little better than Thomas to challenge Youbouty for the #2 CB spot. but this still may happen and even if it does not happen, if the coaches know something we do not know (which I am sure they do since they have forgotten more about football than most of us have learned) we could be OK with our current for if (Youbouty actually merited a 1ast round choice last year as many mocks indicated and he is actually a Leon Hall level player with a year's pro experience, or Thomas really has more to offer than most of us guess. or the real deal about McGee what he showed in the second half of last year rather than his sorry performance in the 1st half.

I hope we get another CB but a cheap FA or a 4th round choice would seem to me to fit our needs better than a 1st round pick which is better spent on a real football need by the Bills. Nick Harper and Jason David were quite adequate as CBs in the Colts Cover 2 and FA Harper was definitely viewed as a step down from the most sought after CBs like Nate Clements or Assante Samuel.

The Bills simply do not have a desperate need for a CB unless folks are caught up in the idea that we must replace Nate Clements with a similarly skilled player. if that was the Bills need then they would have signed NC last year when they could have had him far more cheaply. Instead they decided way back when that they were going to go forward without paying the cost a CB of that skill level requires whether he is an FA or the slot a 1st rounder commands.

If you do not know what the word "good" means, perhaps you should look it up in the dictionary. Im fairly confident, that I used it in the correct context. I still feel Leon Hall would invigorate our defense significantly. Presuming A.Petterson and Okoye are off the board, L. Hall would be a prudent pick.

Have you heard of people or even mock drafts thinking Patrick Willis, Hall, Peterson, Lynch, Branch, Okoye, or yes even the sliding Ted Ginn with the Bills 12th pick - YES

Did you ever hear Bills fans or mock drafts from 2006 taking Donte Whitner with the Bills first round pick -NO

What is your point? The more you try and justify your original reply to this post, the more ridiculous you sound.

Whitner wasn't even on the radar screen as a possible Bills pick last year and you know it, regardless of where you had him ranked.

The players mentioned to start this post are all definite candidates at #12, even if that means they "dropped" to #12 or are picked "early" at #12.

Are you okay???? :wallbash:

And why would a Lynch or Willis be picked at #12 when they might fall to 16 or lower?

Because Marv and crew (as with Whitner), don't like to take chances with a player they really like or want and will take that player earlier then most people predict if they think their is a chance they could lose them to some other team.

Why else are the people listed on the beginning of this posts possible picks at #12? Because they all fit a strong need at their respective positions on our team, especially LB, DT, CB, and RB. I only threw Ted Ginn's name in there because up until recently, many mock boards had him going in the top 10 with possibly Minnesota as his destination and although I highly doubt we would go WR in the first round, especially with how deep that position is in this years draft, I do think they would take a look at him to complement Evans if he was available.

Peerless Price is not the answer on the other side.

:beer:

No I wasn't. I was pointing out that the 'stud' picks were all gone. In your list, you not only list stud picks(Peterson, Hall) but you also list picks that would be the equivalent of Whitner(Willis, Ginn).

Your list implies that when we selected Whitner there were some top 7 talent left and he was projected well below the mid tier(which, yes a few had him lower, but most, ESPNs big board included, had him around 20).....neither of which was the case.

I don't know if you meant to imply this but the list you put forward certainly does.

As I said, a more appropriate list to emulate the 'pulling a Whitner' might be selecting Willis(or maybe Timmons) with Branch, Lynch & Ginn still on the board.

Good grief.

"donte was a surprising pick that warranted initial criticism"

why did it "warrant" initial criticism? Because it was surprising? Does anyone here really think that guys like Mel Kiper and Sean Salisbury are allowed to see a team's draft board? Many teams had Whitner as their #1 safety. If the Bills weren't moving to a Tampa-2, they probably wouldn't have picked Donte. But the guy is custom made to play in that defense, and it's a critical cog in the wheel of the Tampa-2. The pick was "warranted" on that alone.

The Bills haven't made the post season in over a decade for many reasons, not just their scouting. Coaching, continuity, an overbearing GM, a megalomaniacal head coach (GW), pro personnel that didn't work out, a few bad calls, (heh), etc. And it works both ways. The Patriots have been the best team in the league in the past 5 years but their drafts haven't been the best. Look at their 2004 draft, for example. No picks, starting with their 3rd rounder all the way through their 7th, were on the team this past season. Think Bill would want those picks back?

Good grief.

"donte was a surprising pick that warranted initial criticism"

why did it "warrant" initial criticism? Because it was surprising? Does anyone here really think that guys like Mel Kiper and Sean Salisbury are allowed to see a team's draft board? Many teams had Whitner as their #1 safety. If the Bills weren't moving to a Tampa-2, they probably wouldn't have picked Donte. But the guy is custom made to play in that defense, and it's a critical cog in the wheel of the Tampa-2. The pick was "warranted" on that alone.

The Bills haven't made the post season in over a decade for many reasons, not just their scouting. Coaching, continuity, an overbearing GM, a megalomaniacal head coach (GW), pro personnel that didn't work out, a few bad calls, (heh), etc. And it works both ways. The Patriots have been the best team in the league in the past 5 years but their drafts haven't been the best. Look at their 2004 draft, for example. No picks, starting with their 3rd rounder all the way through their 7th, were on the team this past season. Think Bill would want those picks back?

[/quote

I was not insinuating, that they have fell short of the post season for over a decade, merely from their scouting. I was attempting to illuminate the concept, that it is feasible for a staff to be incompetent despite their training and expertise. Also, the prevailing consenus of most people, not just Mel kiper, did subcribe to the opinion that donte was a "suprising pick" whether you want to concede to it or not.

whats his big downside? other than Mayock going out on a HUGE limb and saying "this guy may be great, or he may be a bust"

the downside that he is Ryan Simms or Andre Wadsworth or Mike Williams.

total washouts

high talent and can't miss label but missing the motiviation to succeed after gettig teh big bucks.

Have you heard of people or even mock drafts thinking Patrick Willis, Hall, Peterson, Lynch, Branch, Okoye, or yes even the sliding Ted Ginn with the Bills 12th pick - YES

Did you ever hear Bills fans or mock drafts from 2006 taking Donte Whitner with the Bills first round pick -NO

What is your point? The more you try and justify your original reply to this post, the more ridiculous you sound.

Whitner wasn't even on the radar screen as a possible Bills pick last year and you know it, regardless of where you had him ranked.

The players mentioned to start this post are all definite candidates at #12, even if that means they "dropped" to #12 or are picked "early" at #12.

Are you okay???? :wallbash:

And why would a Lynch or Willis be picked at #12 when they might fall to 16 or lower?

Because Marv and crew (as with Whitner), don't like to take chances with a player they really like or want and will take that player earlier then most people predict if they think their is a chance they could lose them to some other team.

Why else are the people listed on the beginning of this posts possible picks at #12? Because they all fit a strong need at their respective positions on our team, especially LB, DT, CB, and RB. I only threw Ted Ginn's name in there because up until recently, many mock boards had him going in the top 10 with possibly Minnesota as his destination and although I highly doubt we would go WR in the first round, especially with how deep that position is in this years draft, I do think they would take a look at him to complement Evans if he was available.

Peerless Price is not the answer on the other side.

Wrong.

At least one analyst (Mike Mayock) had Whitner going to the Bills BEFORE the draft. I noted that someone on here commented that Mayock made this call after the Bills actually selected Whitner, but that is misinformation. In his last mock draft (a day or two before the draft -- once Whitner's stock had peaked), Mayock predicted that he would go to the Bills. Now, maybe Mayock caught wind that the Bills were interested in Whitner, but the fact remains that he was on board with the pick BEFORE it actually happened. Meanwhile, Kiper agreed that it was a good fit and that Whitner was a good football player; he just felt that he was a slight reach at 8. He didn't have a problem with the Bills passing on any of the other available players -- his criticism was that the team should have traded down, considering that both Cutler and Leinart were still on the board. The main dissenter was Chris Morteneson, who had an axe to grind with the Bills for having fired his butt-boy Donahoe. Of course, Mort is no NFL scout, so why anyone would be worried about what he has to say I'll never know.

The real point is that it does NOT matter what anyone has to say about our picks. Last year there were some publications that gave us a low grade after the draft -- but they are now changing their tune. Of course, the opposite is also true as well. That is, after just one year, it's too early to call any of these players "reaches" or "steals".

From my vantage point, I am no scout, so I have to go by what the experts say and trust our scouts to identify the best players for the system(s) that we have in place. Thus, I was ambivalent regarding the Whitner pick, although I agreed with Kiper in my wondering why the team did not trade down with, say, the Broncos. As far as the trade-up/down possibilities, now that he has a War Room under his belt, I have confidence that Marv will do a good job working the phones.

Regardless, I just wanted to set the facts straight that not EVERYONE thought that the Whitner pick was horrible.