When was the last time you went to a demolition derby?

Wow, my cousin lived on right across from the elementary school that butted up to the Fair grounds in Altamont. We used to go out there in the summer for the tri-county fair as kids. My senior year (in 1989) I went back up on my own for a nostalgia trip and we got someone to get us wrist bands for the beer tents. What a blast!!!

Never thought this morning when I woke up I'd have a random "Altamont Fair" reference. Did you go to Guilderland or grow up IN altamont?

Oh yeah my last demolition derby was either the Cattaraugus County fair in the early 80s or the Stockton Gala Days around the same time.

That's a pretty song by 10,000 Maniacs... Right?

:devil::lol:

As a kid growing up we would always take in the demo derby at the Hamburg fair...

Yes, about two years ago...it was hysterical. It was at the Brockton (MA) Fair; from those not from New England, Brockton is a demolition derby kind of town. I went with my brother and his 7 year old son who loved it.

Yes, about two years ago...it was hysterical. It was at the Brockton (MA) Fair; from those not from New England, Brockton is a demolition derby kind of town. I went with my brother and his 7 year old son who loved it.

Whereas Brocton, NY is more of a demo-derby-car-on-blocks-in-the-front-lawn kind of town.

That's a pretty song by 10,000 Maniacs... Right?

:lol::lol:

As a kid growing up we would always take in the demo derby at the Hamburg fair...

Yes as a matter of fact it is a song by Natalie and the boys, but BILLIEVE me the song is much "prettier" than the actual event itself. First time I took my wife back home 8 years ago, I took her there just so she could get a little taste of the Southern Tier rednecks... she said "this is nothing like the song at all." :lol: "Jeez ya think?"

It depends. Is your commute 500 miles at 200 mph in a Nomex suit with no air conditioning?

I don't particularly care for NASCAR. I'm not even sure it's a sport. Can we at least agree the drivers are athletes, particularly when compared to golfers or baseball pitchers or Jamie Nails?

I guess if you can get injured or die it has to be a sport. But I really don't get Nascar, drive in circles for 3 hours whoopee ! The drivers must be having fun, but the spectators ? What fun are they having ? It must be the beer and the chicks flashing their ya ya's !

I guess if you can get injured or die it has to be a sport. But I really don't get Nascar, drive in circles for 3 hours whoopee ! The drivers must be having fun, but the spectators ? What fun are they having ? It must be the beer and the chicks flashing their ya ya's !

Thats why I can't watch it. I can play it in video games, and I would love to drive one, but I can't watch it. I'll watch the crash replies when they are on the sports shows after the race. Most aren't that great anyways. The only thing I will watch sometimes is the last couple of laps of the indy 500

Yes as a matter of fact it is a song by Natalie and the boys, but BILLIEVE me the song is much "prettier" than the actual event itself. First time I took my wife back home 8 years ago, I took her there just so she could get a little taste of the Southern Tier rednecks... she said "this is nothing like the song at all." :worthy: "Jeez ya think?"

Ya!... They got "wildflower fever" down there alright.!.. ;):pirate::wallbash:;)

I think it was in the early 1990's that I seen them perform at Sculpture Park in Ashford (Hollow... I think?)...

DC-- Sure is easy to bait and hook the youngin's... :worthy:

LSI-- Sorry for dating the post... ECF, Erie County Fair.

The Demo is dead, IMO... You can thank the Japanese, airbags, safety in general... Cars just last nowadays! :nana: :nana:

Years ago? Did you ever see a Volvo in a demo derby? Of course you rarely did... You don't want a car to "crumple" and become inoperatable... You want the biggest, baddest, unsafest car/tank on the planet!... One where you can actually stick the battery on the front seat!... Not even sure how modern cars would react to the demo with all the computers and such?

Of course I can wrong?... Any car can be stripped down?... But, can you strip a modern-era car down and still have it run okay?... And like I previously mentioned... What about the new "crumple zones", gas-cut off, etc...?

Motoheads out there? Any help on these isuses?

:D

I get that all summer long working at the lock and dealing with the PC's!

What is it about chicks, booze and boats too?

I am desensitized! I can't stand NASCAR...

:pirate::wallbash:

Thats why I can't watch it. I can play it in video games, and I would love to drive one, but I can't watch it. I'll watch the crash replies when they are on the sports shows after the race. Most aren't that great anyways. The only thing I will watch sometimes is the last couple of laps of the indy 500

Like basketball/soccer and hopefully NOT hockey!... (God bless the Sabres for potentially saving the game!)... Just tune me in for the last quarter or what not!

:pirate::wallbash: