Chris Simon , done for Season , Done for career?

millbank

In last evenings Isalander - Ranger game, Chris Simon reacted to to a hit by slashing Ryan Hollweg across the face with his stick. Hollweg went done and appeared out for awhile, he ended up with cut on chin. Hollweg returned to the game, Simon was given a major penalty , on which Rangers scored the gaming winning goal. Simon clearly just lost it, and with be seeing Colin Campbell shortly , clearly he will be suspended. Some are saying because Hollweg got up and was able to continue playing Simons suspension will not be that long. Others are saying Simon will be suspended for remainder of year and because it was such a foolish act he will not find a NHL job again, and much like McSorely , Simon's career will be over due to his actions.

Clearly Simon chopped Hollweg with stick, can't see anything less than twenty game suspension, that he did not injure Hollweg was only by good fortune for Hollweg, the injury could have been horrific, any suspension has to reflect that. imo

they should suspend him for the rest of this year and ALL of next year. and if he wants to try to have a career after that, he's free to try.

scumbags like that do NOT deserve to play professional sports especially for the money they make.

he's lucky he doesnt end up in jail for that move.

the league needs to really bring the hammer down now. its breezed its way thru a few cheap shots in the past couple months. enough is enough.

they should suspend him for the rest of this year and ALL of next year. and if he wants to try to have a career after that, he's free to try.

scumbags like that do NOT deserve to play professional sports especially for the money they make.

he's lucky he doesnt end up in jail for that move.

the league needs to really bring the hammer down now. its breezed its way thru a few cheap shots in the past couple months. enough is enough.

Second that. That was as bad as McSorley's hit on Brashear, and nearly as bad as Bertuzzi's punch to the back of Steve Moore's neck. Yes, fighting is a part of hocky, and should remain a part of hockey...but what Simon did, like McSorley's and Bertuzzi's incidents, wasn't fighting, it was assault. The NHL needs to start recognizing that distinction and doing something about it.

But nah. It's much more important to open the regular season with San Jose playing the LA Kings in friggin' London. Bettman, you're an ass.

I hate how the NHL considers the extent of the injury when handing down suspensions. The point is to discourage thuggery like this on the ice. The punishment should be uniform regardless of whether the victim was fortunate enough to sustain only a minor cut or was knocked out. The extent of the injury is arbitrary but the act of the perpetrator is nor.

Most savage thing I've seen on the ice. Bettman's job just became a lot more complicated. My guess is Simon's career is done - he will be suspended for at least this year and maybe next year. This is the first incident that I think the police need to get involved. A two-hander across the face, are you kidding me? Why not run your skate across his neck while you're at it.

I hate how the NHL considers the extent of the injury when handing down suspensions. The point is to discourage thuggery like this on the ice. The punishment should be uniform regardless of whether the victim was fortunate enough to sustain only a minor cut or was knocked out. The extent of the injury is arbitrary but the act of the perpetrator is nor.

I'd like to see them institute some sort of rule where, if you knock a guy out of the game or games with an illegal hit (i.e. not a clean hit into the boards, but a slashing or roughing penalty), you don't skate until he's back. Hollweg's out for five games? So's Simon. Hollweg goes on IR? Simon's a scratch until he Hollweg skates again, and still counts against his team's cap (whereas a guy on IR, I believe, doesn't). That would probably clean things up quick.

I know, it's not perfect idea. It's not a suggestion, just a thought.

Most savage thing I've seen on the ice. Bettman's job just became a lot more complicated. My guess is Simon's career is done - he will be suspended for at least this year and maybe next year. This is the first incident that I think the police need to get involved. A two-hander across the face, are you kidding me? Why not run your skate across his neck while you're at it.

Not the first. McSorely was charged with and convicted of assault in Vancouver for swinging his stick at Brashear.

that POS simon should be done for this year and a lot of next as well. I'll be extremely pissed if he's back on the ice before 2008. No room for that type of thug assault trash on the ice.

I'd like to see them institute some sort of rule where, if you knock a guy out of the game or games with an illegal hit (i.e. not a clean hit into the boards, but a slashing or roughing penalty), you don't skate until he's back. Hollweg's out for five games? So's Simon. Hollweg goes on IR? Simon's a scratch until he Hollweg skates again, and still counts against his team's cap (whereas a guy on IR, I believe, doesn't). That would probably clean things up quick.

I know, it's not perfect idea. It's not a suggestion, just a thought.

what happens if Holweg plays next game...

that POS simon should be done for this year and a lot of next as well. I'll be extremely pissed if he's back on the ice before 2008. No room for that type of thug assault trash on the ice.

He should only be back when he gets out of jail for the criminal charges that should be brought.

A two hander across the face is not hockey.

Yes, fighting is a part of hocky, and should remain a part of hockey...

Isn't one of the main reasons given for why fighting is 'allowed' in hockey the fact that it keeps players from using their sticks as weapons? That obviously didn't work here. Simon totally lost his mind after a clean hit and the punishment should be severe. I have no problem with the remainder of this season and next.

what happens if Holweg plays next game...

Like I said, it's a thought, not a suggestion. I never said it was perfect, or even implementable.

And I'll still wager it's a better thought than anything Bettman comes up with.

That was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in hockey. He should have an 18 month suspension for that.

Even if he gets the suspension he deserves, though, it'll be bittersweet. You know Ovechkin or Crosby could do the same thing and get maybe 2 games.

That was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in hockey. He should have an 18 month suspension for that.

Even if he gets the suspension he deserves, though, it'll be bittersweet. You know Ovechkin or Crosby could do the same thing and get maybe 2 games.

If Ovechkin or Crosby did that, Hollweg would get a two minute minor for holding their stick with his throat.

:lol:

Now, that's funny.

I agree. Damn funny.

On a side note: I was reading an article on Teddy Nolan yesterday afternoon and he made mention of Simon because of their similiar upbringing and Nolan's influence on Chris' career. I remember thinking to myself: "Boy, it's been awhile since the Chief did something really stupid."

Whoops.

Not the first. McSorely was charged with and convicted of assault in Vancouver for swinging his stick at Brashear.

I know about McSorley, I guess I wasn't clear. This was the first time that I want the police to charge a player. Hockey is hockey and ugly crap happens, but a two-hander to the face deserves jail time.

I know about McSorley, I guess I wasn't clear. This was the first time that I want the police to charge a player. Hockey is hockey and ugly crap happens, but a two-hander to the face deserves jail time.

Oh, okay. Your wording threw me, sorry.

I agree, too. Yeah, hockey's a tough game, people are going to get hit in the face with sticks. But purposely swinging your stick at another player's face is something else entirely. And Simon has never been the cleanest of players, either...I don't want to say he's dirty, but he's certainly rough. (Met him once, too, in DC. Scary !@#$er.)

As of a few hours ago, for those who haven't heard, the NHL's suspended him "indefinitely". Which really means "At least until he gets to Toronto for a hearing", but I expect and hope it'll be a LOT longer.