Electric Car?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*IF* GM makes these, I will buy one. Would you? The Volt. The idea of being able to do my commute without gas is very appealing.

Heard of it before.

The only thing that might keep me from buying it is that electricity prices in MD are supposed to double by 2010, which doesn't exactly make it economically sensible for me. If I plugged it in to a propane generator at home, maybe...

Heard of it before.

The only thing that might keep me from buying it is that electricity prices in MD are supposed to double by 2010, which doesn't exactly make it economically sensible for me. If I plugged it in to a propane generator at home, maybe...

I think a massive amount of these on the roads backed by fission nuclear power would make a HUGE dent in CO2 emissions, and would do a lot to shut the Al Gores of the world up.

Heard of it before.

But I thought electricity was a free energy source that just falls from the sky. At least that's what some tree hugger told me.

I think a massive amount of these on the roads backed by fission nuclear power would make a HUGE dent in CO2 emissions, and would do a lot to shut the Al Gores of the world up.

Here we go again. Great on the drawing board, but implementation will be much harder than the idealized vision.

Here we go again. Great on the drawing board, but implementation will be much harder than the idealized vision.

I'd think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to implement than, say, massive amounts of solar, wind or "hydrogen-based" fuels.

We have the technology. All that's needed is the political will.

Nah, implementation's easy. Buy copper wire. Run it to cars in need. Build power plants.

Simple as rolling a die.

I'd think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to implement than, say, massive amounts of solar, wind or "hydrogen-based" fuels.

We have the technology. All that's needed is the political will.

Yes, we have a technology to run an electric car for 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles...

I'm not saying that these shouldn't be put into production. I'm saying that you shouldn't hold these "advances" as the great white hope to displace fossil fueled internal combustion during your and my lifetimes.

Yes, we have a technology to run an electric car for 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles, after which it will need one hour to recharge to run another 40 miles...

I'm not saying that these shouldn't be put into production. I'm saying that you shouldn't hold these "advances" as the great white hope to displace fossil fueled internal combustion during your and my lifetimes.

Actually, the Volt's not pure electric. It's pure electric drive...but it has a gas engine on board to act as a generator. The idea is, for short local trips you charge it off the grid and never use gas. For long trips, the gas engine trickle charges the batteries and powers the electric motor.

The basic concept isn't unproven; US submarines and very late-war German subs in WWII ran basically the same way (all electric drive, powered by batteries or diesel engines), and had far better range - in both absolute and per ton of fuel terms - than any other submarine in the world. Engineering the same thing into a car isn't trivial...but the concept is basically sound.

If you had read the article, you'd have seen they also come with small ICE engines to help charge the batteries :lol:

Consider this: most Americans drive fewer than 40 miles a day.

Actually, the Volt's not pure electric. It's pure electric drive...but it has a gas engine on board to act as a generator. The idea is, for short local trips you charge it off the grid and never use gas. For long trips, the gas engine trickle charges the batteries and powers the electric motor.

The basic concept isn't unproven; US submarines and very late-war German subs in WWII ran basically the same way (all electric drive, powered by batteries or diesel engines), and had far better range - in both absolute and per ton of fuel terms - than any other submarine in the world. Engineering the same thing into a car isn't trivial...but the concept is basically sound.

I saw that it has the trickle charger. FWIW, the editors of auto magazines were a bit more skeptical of the claims (obviously they only had the GM press releases to go on).

Sorry to break it to you. Nothing will ever shut Al Gore and his followers up :lol:

Implying, of course, that our supply of fossil fuels will last through your respective lifetimes. I sense you're being overly optimistic about things staying the same (continued fossil fuel availability) and overly pessimistic about the possibility for change (the creation of a viable electric car).