Fletcher-Baker and Walker worth the same?

Both get 5 years 25 million.

One was a strong contributor and on field leader of a growing defense in 2006.

The other played a pivotal role on one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the NFL.

Worth the same?

The other played a pivotal role on one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the NFL.

Worth the same?

Pun intended?

Couldn't we word this another way and still be somewhat accurate in the spin...

One was an aging LB on one of the worst run defenses in the league in 2006.

It depends on who we replace Fletcher with...that's what it comes down to. Walker is clearly better than Pennington/Butler (or we screwed up), so the question is do we also get better at MLB or do we get worse. I love London and was a big fan, but he is getting older, and was a downfield tackler. I think we can find a way to be better at his position AND be better at Walker's position. If we don't get another LB it would come down to would you rather have Pennington and Fletcher starting or Walker and Ellison. But I think we add another LB impact player (Willis/June) and start camp improved at both positions.

Couldn't we word this another way and still be somewhat accurate in the spin...

One was an aging LB on one of the worst run defenses in the league in 2006.

Agreed, but that would be one of the worst Run Defenses in the league, not one of the worst-run defenses in the league.

LFB will be reunited with GW who coordinated the 31st ranked defense in the NFL last year with the help of his protégé Jerry Gray.

Agreed, but that would be one of the worst Run Defenses in the league, not one of the worst-run defenses in the league.

LFB will be reunited with GW who coordinated the 31st ranked defense in the NFL last year with the help of his protégé Jerry Gray.

Excellent correction. Thank you sir.

we can get a small quick LB, or perhaps draft one with real potential.

we cannot just up and nab an OG ready to maul in the run game.

the bills decided that a fast D that keeps teams from scoring (which they were pretty good at last year) and a run game that can control the game late

is better than what we could have had on D.

i think they are right. you can plug in fast hungry guys on D along with a good mix of players and end up with an effective D. a good o line takes a few studs, good team play, and good overall ability and toughness. i think we have a good mix of young vets on our o line for the first time since 88

Worth the same?

Fletcher=Almost 32 years old--will most likely not play out his 5 year deal

Walker=28 could easily play out his 5 year deal and in year 5, with inflation he would be a steal. If he stinks we can always cut him--good move marv

Worth the same?

I really don't get the Walker signing at all. I wish Marv had actually done well in free agency last year so that we'd be able to say that the staff is seeing potential that was untapped, but the haul they got was not very good. Especially for the money spent. One thing we all have to remember is that Tom Donahoe's man, John "Justa" Guy is still in charge of pro personnel and he's hasn't had an extra-base hit since they signed Takeo Spikes. This team is DYING for a Priest Holmes-like bargain in FA.

Fletcher=Almost 32 years old--will most likely not play out his 5 year deal

Walker=28 could easily play out his 5 year deal and in year 5, with inflation he would be a steal. If he stinks we can always cut him--good move marv

Or he could play bad enough to deserve to be cut in camp and yet be kept around for two more years to save face, like Tootin' Reyes!

fletcher will never see that 25 mill., how much do you think he realistically has in the tank? maybe 3 years? i believe that walker has more upside and potential at his position than l-f-b. then question i think youre asking is if walker is worth 25 mill., and he got it so i guess he is.

Now let's be fair Nanker. What GW coordinated last year was the best D in the league *ever*. Only problem is his players let him down. Just ask GW, I am sure he will back me on this one.

Instead of comparing Fletcher to Walker, I'd rather resign Fletcher than sign Kelsay to as big of a deal as we did. I mean we had better replacements at DE than we have at MLB and plus Fletcher was a leader on this team. I'd rather pursue Patrick Kerney than pay Kelsay big bucks! To me this was the only negative move Levy made the past 2 weeks: keeping Kelsay and paying him more than Schoebel and close to the same amount it would have cost to keep Fletcher. I mean if we had made the same moves but re-signed Fletch instead of Kelsay most would be estactic as Nate just got way too much money from the 49ers and will be labeled a bust for that contract.

Now let's be fair Nanker. What GW coordinated last year was the best D in the league *ever*. Only problem is his players let him down. Just ask GW, I am sure he will back me on this one.

Upon careful reconsideration of the facts in the matter. I concur. GW is an ass of monumental proportions. :cry: