Let's get one thing straight

JStranger76

I like the kid like most but the best he will be is a very good nickle back who also is a good kick returner. He isn't fast enough to be on the field full time. I do agree that he is a good athlete and I like how he plays but he should never be a starter.

65930[/snapback]

You're basing this on WHAT expertise exactly? I thought so.

There are 12 games left. McGee is gonna make some nice plays but as you will all see he is gonna give up quite a few deep balls. This is why he will should remain a nickle, though a very good one. In late December we'll see who is right.

McGee is plenty fast enough.  On that we agree, tgreg.  Clements is very fast too, but I think the fastest guy is the #5 CB (#4 while Vincent is hurt) Jabari Greer.  He is world class.

67413[/snapback]

Tiger, you're right. I forgot about Jabari. I should have put our starting secondary. I am excited to see what both Jabari and McGee will do with a little more expierence under their belts.

Of course it will take much longer for Jabari to get that expierence.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanting to know if everyone still thinks the future is still bright with McGee as a starting corner? I know he may not play this game, but anyone starting to think a very poor mans Antoine Winfield?

91946[/snapback]

Let me see:

Rookie year: played nickel back and did well, got playing time from Thomas. Amazing game against one of the best WR in the game, Marvin Harrison

2nd year: burned a couple of times but adjusted everytime and if I'm not mistaken he's leading the team in balls defended.

I'd like to quote Bill Bellichick, who is a film room whore: "That kid is a football player"

Is he making mistakes? yes he is, does he hang his head after a negative play? no señor, he has a short memory and will make a positive play the next play.

He's learning on the fly and to me he's a bright future ahead of him

Plus he's a tremendous ST player.

He's plenty fast enough and certainly a good enough athlete.

Defending the deep ball is not about speed, it's about technique. It's about knowing how to keep a guy from breaking your cushion, about knowing when is the last possible moment to turn your hips, about being able to cut off a guy's route without looking at him, about being patient enough to not get your head back around 'til you need to and about being able to use your feet, body and hands in perfect unison when the ball is finally coming in.

McGee has shown flashes of being able to do all these things in only his second season in a legue which is totally different than anything he's ever experienced. The kid IS a ballplayer and the fact that he's also an athlete is just icing on the cake.

The only place he's going to have trouble right now is defending 3rdshort because he doesn't yet have the confidence to attack pro receivers at the line.

But if he continues to progress as he has so far, that confidence will make him an infinitely better player and he'll easily move Vincent to the Free. Then we'll be watching one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Cya

God, some of you guys want to blow a wad of FA money on defense, when what we need to do is get O-linemen next year. If the offense could score at least 1 more TD a game. we'd be 4-0.

66120[/snapback]

We will have to see who is available in free agency. Unlikley any outstanding o-linemen will be. My opinion is go after the best available O or D.

I just asking peoples opinions on his further developement nutinHouston. It's also one of those things where if I'm proven wrong it would be a good thing. If we could move Vincent to FS our secondary would be real good, I'm just not sold on McGee as a full timer yet. I'm pulling for him, but I also am a Bills fan, so I prepare for dissapointment too. Like I said, I am confident he will remain at least a solid nickle and return man, which is great for a 4th round pick, nomatter how big or small a school he came from.