Buffalo Can't Support an NFL Franchise

HarkinBanks

I have been meaning to post since I heard this on NFL Network last week but am just now getting the chance. Pat Kirwin was on with Vic Carucci and they were talking about the Buffalo Bills, cash to the cap, difficulties for small market/low revenue franchises, etc...the same stuff you read about on this board everyday.

Anyway, Pat Kirwin eventually says something like this "Maybe the city of Buffalo just can't support a team and its time to admit it and move on".

My first reaction was F**k Pat Kirwin but the scary thing is if he is saying it, you know plenty of other people around the league are thinking it. Carucci tried to stick up for Buffalo saying how great the fans are, what a great franchise Buffalo has been for the NFL, etc. but then basically let it go. I don't think there are too many people out there who really give a s**t about what happens to the Bills in Buffalo and it is becoming more obvious than ever with everything you hear and read.

I have been meaning to post since I heard this on NFL Network last week but am just now getting the chance. Pat Kirwin was on with Vic Carucci and they were talking about the Buffalo Bills, cash to the cap, difficulties for small market/low revenue franchises, etc...the same stuff you read about on this board everyday.

Anyway, Pat Kirwin eventually says something like this "Maybe the city of Buffalo just can't support a team and its time to admit it and move on".

My first reaction was F**k Pat Kirwin but the scary thing is if he is saying it, you know plenty of other people around the league are thinking it. Carucci tried to stick up for Buffalo saying how great the fans are, what a great franchise Buffalo has been for the NFL, etc. but then basically let it go. I don't think there are too many people out there who really give a s**t about what happens to the Bills in Buffalo and it is becoming more obvious than ever with everything you hear and read.

Buffalo can, and has certainly supported the franchise.

Kirwan should have made comment on the NFL in general, and admitted that the latter is a notable exponent of the "one-way pocket"...

The same Pat Kirwin who during training camp, went just short of getting down on his hands and knees begging that Kelly Holcomb "had(!) to" win the starting job.

1) He was there as a purported 'journalist' for NFL.com.

2) What was wrong with JP at the point? That he was young, that he was green, or was Pat in "No-good Mexican halfbreed" frame of mind?

I think JP's development and success this season was enough to have me disregard most anything Kirwin thinks he thinks. Buffalo/WNY/Canada region can support the franchise; it would help if they won and the league didn't schedule so many home late-season games. Buffalo can and is starting to rebound economically, albeit slowly.

I'd rather root for Bailey Savings and Loan than Old Man Potter.

There's a heck of a lot of history in Buffalo though and to some people that means something. I couldn't imagine the Bills being anywhere else - LA Bills doesn't sound right.

Why is Buffalo seen as a small market team? I would have thought that with Toronto across the way the potential is a lot larger.

I read a good thing on the Bengals site about small market teams and the consensus that appears to be growing.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5902

Isn't that why revenue sharing is supposed to exist? To help the smaller market teams support an NFL franchise, right?

Define "small market" though. How small of a market?!?! next to green bay, where the town owns the team, isnt buffalo the smallest market in the league? We may be straddling that line of being able to support a team. especially with no sign that the decline of the city of Buffalo (in population and economy) is ever going to be turned around... :blink:

Define "small market" though. How small of a market?!?! next to green bay, where the town owns the team, isnt buffalo the smallest market in the league? We may be straddling that line of being able to support a team. especially with no sign that the decline of the city of Buffalo (in population and economy) is ever going to be turned around... :blink:

Actually, New Orleans is a smaller market than Buffalo as well, if you just take the city itself as some seem to do with the Bills.

The point of this? Kirwan can get !@#$ed. He doesn't speak for the NFL.

Actually, New Orleans is a smaller market than Buffalo as well, if you just take the city itself as some seem to do with the Bills.

The point of this? Kirwan can get !@#$ed. He doesn't speak for the NFL.

The point is that the revenue disparity is getting worst and worse and Buffalo is having a hard time keeping up with the high revenue teams. People from Buffalo (like me) think this is unfair and the revenue sharing should be more fair but there are a lot of other people (like 30 of the 32 NFL team owners) who don't think the same way. The majority of the owners are just trying to make as much $$$ as they can for themselves without worrying about smaller markets like Buffalo struggling.