If Okoye is gone the Bills should trade out

1billsfan

That's awesome. Should be easy because I'm certain we'll be flooded with offers. It's hilarious that nobody seems to realize that trading up or down requires a willing partner offering to pay the right price, and it's not that easy. If we're looking to trade down on draft day, it'll likely be because we don't want to be in that position, and that's a position of weakness. Doesn't usually make for the best deals.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that depends on if he jumps ahead of Branch which could happen.

If branch is there we take him.

I'd actually trade up into the last part of the round if DE Jarvis Moss is there too.

You want to talk about a defensive line, how about Moss/McCargo/Branch/Schoebel with Tripplet and Williams rotating in at DT?

That's awesome. Should be easy because I'm certain we'll be flooded with offers. It's hilarious that nobody seems to realize that trading up or down requires a willing partner offering to pay the right price, and it's not that easy. If we're looking to trade down on draft day, it'll likely be because we don't want to be in that position, and that's a position of weakness. Doesn't usually make for the best deals.

Weakness? You really have no idea what a team would be willing to part with for a player they deem worthy. It's going to fun to bring this post back on draft day when the Bills actually do trade back with a willing partner. You guys act like draft day trades are a foreign concept or something. Hello, the BUFFALO BILLS have traded up two out of the last three drafts. Want more proof? Check out this draft from 2004:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2004draftorder.htm

Your shock is hilarious.

i think we should keep trading down and acquiring more picks. If we do it enough, i think we can own every single 7th round pick. Now THATS good draft value.

What an idiotic statement. There is no way any team can own every 7th round pick.

Compensatory picks can't be traded :wallbash:

What an idiotic statement. There is no way any team can own every 7th round pick.

Compensatory picks can't be traded :wallbash:

Somehow the thought of trading back to aquire an extra 2nd and/or 3rd became an absurd notion. It's really pathetic since you guys refuse to post what you'd want the Bills to do in the draft. Instead you just want to act like a couple of third rate comedians. Are you jokers afraid of saying who or what you wish the Bills to do in the draft? Please, enlighten us with your draft strategy for this year.

Somehow the thought of trading back to aquire an extra 2nd and/or 3rd became an absurd notion. It's really pathetic since you guys refuse to post what you'd want the Bills to do in the draft. Instead you just want to act like a couple of third rate comedians. Are you jokers afraid of saying who or what you wish the Bills to do in the draft? Please, enlighten us with your draft strategy for this year.

I've lurked on here a long time, but i finally decided to register and post on this topic. What is absurd is just saying, "oh lets trade down." Trading down is fine, but I think we should start having some rules on the board about posting about trading down. First you better have your Draft value chart. Secondly, If you're gonna post on trading down to get more picks, you should post who the trading partner (other team) will be, and why they would possibly wanna trade up (glaring needs) with the bills. This same thing happened last year to the Bills. Sure we couldve traded down when Cutler and Leinart were on the board to get Whitner in the mid first round, but you need to have a trading partner that will give you value for your pick(s). The majority of this board thinks you can just "trade down." Well unfortunately thats NOT how the draft works. So I think if you're gonna have the notion of trading down in the draft, It should be a little more detailed on how you can possibly trade down.

I've lurked on here a long time, but i finally decided to register and post on this topic. What is absurd is just saying, "oh lets trade down." Trading down is fine, but I think we should start having some rules on the board about posting about trading down. First you better have your Draft value chart. Secondly, If you're gonna post on trading down to get more picks, you should post who the trading partner (other team) will be, and why they would possibly wanna trade up (glaring needs) with the bills. This same thing happened last year to the Bills. Sure we couldve traded down when Cutler and Leinart were on the board to get Whitner in the mid first round, but you need to have a trading partner that will give you value for your pick(s). The majority of this board thinks you can just "trade down." Well unfortunately thats NOT how the draft works. So I think if you're gonna have the notion of trading down in the draft, It should be a little more detailed on how you can possibly trade down.

From what I've gathered reading this board for a while, trading down or up in the draft is not only easily accomplished, but is something that should absolutely be done. Although trading up is less popular, trading down is a great way to get tons of picks. It's kinda like we won the draft becacuse we had more picks than the next guy. Of course, no matter who you pick with all those picks they won't be the right pick because we should have traded all those picks to some team to get the big name FA that we'll want to run out of town in a year because he's overpriced and was really someone else's retread.

You see its really so simple that it's complex. Nothing Marv does is right because he's old and everyone's got the right answers until tomorrow when they change their mind and the new right answers come to them. Of course, the beauty is in our own little fantasy football reality we don't really have to have all the details worked out, we just have to be able to complain about everyone else. And god forgive, we actually let FA or the draft get here before we start blaming Marv for screwing it up.

But I digress. Welcome and hello.

Your first post and your telling us what rules you want to have on this board? Now that's absurd.

As for your pet peeve Peteypeeps, been there done that bro:

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...=59067&hl=#

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=60046#

Per the "draft value chart", dropping back from 12 to 21 would garner you a mid-second round pick. Dropping back again from 21 to 32 gets you a mid-third round. So my premise isn't without base as you've seemed to have hinting at. Now instead of bitching, how about posting what your thoughts are regarding the draft and who the Bills should take? Or perhaps you'd like to be just another whiner without substance on this board?

It's a shame, but for every topic it seems that there are posters lurking in the weeds ready to tear it down without providing anything substantive in return. It really dumbs down the discussions.

Your first post and your telling us what rules you want to have on this board? Now that's absurd.

Per the "draft value chart", dropping back from 12 to 21 would garner you a mid-second round pick. Dropping back again from 21 to 32 gets you a mid-third round. So my premise isn't without base as you've seemed to have hinting at. Now instead of bitching, how about posting what your thoughts are regarding the draft and who the Bills should take? Or perhaps you'd like to be just another whiner without substance on this board?

It's a shame, but for every topic it seems that there are posters lurking in the weeds ready to tear it down without providing anything substantive in return. It really dumbs down the discussions.

well if we are talking about substance, well then tell me why the Broncos at 21 would want to trade up to number 12, what would be sitting there that they would want? Secondly why would the colts want to trade up to number 21? They just WON THE SUPER BOWL, a team in that position has no needs to possibly trade up in the draft and give up picks. So In theory trading down is great, but you need reasons why someone would want to trade up to 12, and specifically who the hot commodity it is that they want to pick up. I'm glad you can add numbers and follow the draft value chart, but youre forgetting the reasons why these teams would want to possibly trade up to number 12. So if you want some "substabce" there you go. COME UP WITH SOMETHING FEASIBLE.

Levi Brown - KC, Dallas

These two players will be there when we pick. The teams I've listed have no shot at drafting these players where there currently are. It's fantasy to think these teams don't covet those players enough and seriously consider trading picks to move up to get them. Please spare us the hyperbole.

The Bills have only one legitmate NFL OTackle on their roster and desperately need another. Why on Earth would they trade down if a fantastic player like Levi Brown was available at a position of immense need?

As the above poster said, trading down isnt as simple as deciding to trade down. You need a willing dance partner, and a realistic offer. if someone suggests trading down, they should suggest with who we should picks with and who that other team would be willing to give up picks to get.

Whats stupid and obnoxious is these mocks that have the Bills trading down and somehow gaining 38 extra picks, all the while having the guy we want magically still falling to us at our lower draft spot.

Weakness? You really have no idea what a team would be willing to part with for a player they deem worthy. It's going to fun to bring this post back on draft day when the Bills actually do trade back with a willing partner. You guys act like draft day trades are a foreign concept or something. Hello, the BUFFALO BILLS have traded up two out of the last three drafts. Want more proof? Check out this draft from 2004:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2004draftorder.htm

Your shock is hilarious.

If I can phrase this correctly, I am shocked at the folks who will be shocked if we don't deal down (as we didn't last year). The Bills certainly haven't been afraid to deal. But the Bills would be stupid to make a trade for the sake of making a trade, and unless the right player is there, so would any other team. This is what i mean about finding a willing partner. I'm even more shocked that you're willing to predict they absolutely will do it. If Okoye or another right player is there, or the deal is bad, they won't and shouldn't pull the trigger on a move down.

And as Ramius says, the Madden-esque nature of these predicted trades is no less than madden-ing.

well if we are talking about substance, well then tell me why the Broncos at 21 would want to trade up to number 12, what would be sitting there that they would want? Secondly why would the colts want to trade up to number 21? They just WON THE SUPER BOWL, a team in that position has no needs to possibly trade up in the draft and give up picks. So In theory trading down is great, but you need reasons why someone would want to trade up to 12, and specifically who the hot commodity it is that they want to pick up. I'm glad you can add numbers and follow the draft value chart, but youre forgetting the reasons why these teams would want to possibly trade up to number 12. So if you want some "substabce" there you go. COME UP WITH SOMETHING FEASIBLE.

I'm not going to argue with someone when they don't even read the entire thread. It's becoming annoying peeps.

As the above poster said, trading down isnt as simple as deciding to trade down. You need a willing dance partner, and a realistic offer. if someone suggests trading down, they should suggest with who we should picks with and who that other team would be willing to give up picks to get.

Whats stupid and obnoxious is these mocks that have the Bills trading down and somehow gaining 38 extra picks, all the while having the guy we want magically still falling to us at our lower draft spot.

Of course you need a willing partner. The premise should have been obvious, that "if" an offer were to be made "then" the Bills should actually go ahead and trade down providing they were given the appropriate value for the trading of draft picks. I didn't realize some here needed a stipulation of what should have been a given. Are you guys sniffing glue or something?

BTW, the exaggerations are low rent and very obnoxious.

I'm not going to argue with someone when they don't even read the entire thread. It's becoming annoying peeps.

no im pretty sure i read the entire thread, and i understand you pointed out certain players, but you failed to say why teams such as the broncos at 21 or the colts at 32 would trade. Sure its fun to say oh we can get all these picks in the first three rounds, but it just doesnt work out like that.

If I can phrase this correctly, I am shocked at the folks who will be shocked if we don't deal down (as we didn't last year). The Bills certainly haven't been afraid to deal. But the Bills would be stupid to make a trade for the sake of making a trade, and unless the right player is there, so would any other team. This is what i mean about finding a willing partner. I'm even more shocked that you're willing to predict they absolutely will do it. If Okoye or another right player is there, or the deal is bad, they won't and shouldn't pull the trigger on a move down.

And as Ramius says, the Madden-esque nature of these predicted trades is no less than madden-ing.

So the prospect of an NFL team trading down for extra picks is now "Madden-esque"?

That's too much! Thanks for the laugh man.

Of course you need a willing partner. The premise should have been obvious, that "if" an offer were to be made "then" the Bills should actually go ahead and trade down providing they were given the appropriate value for the trading of draft picks. I didn't realize some here needed a stipulation of what should have been a given. Are you guys sniffing glue or something?

BTW, the exaggerations are low rent and very obnoxious.

Is name calling and personal attacks part of your modus operandi ? Geesh ! People have the right to disagree AND to think you're point is absurd without the attacks. I think Ramius was just being humorous by the way.

I am of the minority opinion that teams that trade back and want depth, usually have good to great special teams and very few Pro Bowlers. Though the Bills have many holes, some of them can be hidden by one special player who can either; Get pressure on the QB on third down and long to end the opponents drive, Make the block on third and short to keep a drive going, Make the run on third and short to keep the drive going, etc, etc.. This entails getting Great ballplayers and I personally think finding ONE of those players would be just as good , if not better, than filling three holes with "Depth" and "Maybe's".

Just from what I've seen in games and highlight tapes, (which means I have limited knowledge, I admit) Justin Blaylock, Ryan Kalil, Marshawn Lynch and the DE from Arkansas appear to be those types of players. I like Okoye but Kalil seemed to handle him with relative ease in the Senior Bowl drills I saw. I would hate to trade back and find that none of the players I liked(and I'm sure the Scouts have some differing views as compared to mine) were gone just for the benefit of having an extra pick. Thanks and Go Bills !!

So the prospect of an NFL team trading down for extra picks is now "Madden-esque"?

That's too much! Thanks for the laugh man.

Thinking we're going to get whatever we want for guys we don't feel have much value is indeed Madden-esque. Feel the way you want about it, but I just would take caution with the idea that the Bills are absolutely going to get their way with a draft-day trade.