If Okoye is gone the Bills should trade out

1billsfan

As the above poster said, trading down isnt as simple as deciding to trade down. You need a willing dance partner, and a realistic offer. if someone suggests trading down, they should suggest with who we should picks with and who that other team would be willing to give up picks to get.

I think that the above overlooks the fact that because of the new cap, there is a HUGE dropoff in the quality of the free agent crop. An example if I may.......

The Bills are sitting at #12, and a team at #19 (purely hypothetical) needs a Defensive End. Well, the best one available is probably Kelsay, and hopefully we will re-sign him. This leaves only the draft to fill this need, or of course a trade which almost never happens.

In this sense, it should become EASIER to trade down, and the cost to trade up will almost certainly rise.

I also agree with Simon in that IF the Bills coaches see a true need at RT, AND they think that Brown is a high quality player, trading down would make little sense.

Additionally, the MaGahee situation creates many other draft scenarios, because we might get an additional pick for Willis before the draft. Personally, I would rather keep him than take less than a 2nd.

How about you?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the above overlooks the fact that because of the new cap, there is a HUGE dropoff in the quality of the free agent crop. An example if I may.......

The Bills are sitting at #12, and a team at #19 (purely hypothetical) needs a Defensive End. Well, the best one available is probably Kelsay, and hopefully we will re-sign him. This leaves only the draft to fill this need, or of course a trade which almost never happens.

In this sense, it should become EASIER to trade down, and the cost to trade up will almost certainly rise.

I also agree with Simon in that IF the Bills coaches see a true need at RT, AND they think that Brown is a high quality player, trading down would make little sense.

Additionally, the MaGahee situation creates many other draft scenarios, because we might get an additional pick for Willis before the draft. Personally, I would rather keep him than take less than a 2nd.

How about you?

OR-

since the draft is the way to build your team - then ALL of your picks become more valuable which means you don't want to give them up.

Can't see how it becomes easier to trade down when teams have to give up more to move up.

BTW- it would be stupid to give away Willis for less than a high second.- unless they get someones' else disgruntled starter quality player back at a reasonable contract.

OR-

since the draft is the way to build your team - then ALL of your picks become more valuable which means you don't want to give them up.

Can't see how it becomes easier to trade down when teams have to give up more to move up

This is a valid point. The thing is, there seems to be no place else to go except the draft when a team is looking to improve in a particualr area. There is no Takeo Spikes out there to sign as a UFA.

Of course, teams could wait around for the Bills GM to make "promises" to star players, but this even takes too long.

How about you?

Good post Bill.

I'm not against trading down. If someone like Levi Brown or Okoye is available at 12, and we take them, i'll be pleased. I just dont think that trading down is as simple as snapping your fingers, and voila, we have extra picks from trading down. All i wanted was some realism in the trade down scenarios, without the automatic assumption that we can just "trade down". I also dont plan on trading down when considering who to draft. With our pick at 12, i would establish a list of players you'd definitely pick at #12. If they all were gone at your pick, then you'd consider trading down, depending on the offers you got.

i think CBs are a much hotter position in the nfl than before, so the lowest rated DB or CB might still go pretty high.

last draft we had no true top notch corners, but dbs went all over the high end of the board (including 7,8, and low double digit picks). cbs are rare and tend to contribute pretty well as rooks which makes them covoted picks.

the last draft i can remember with cbs being rated low was in 01 when clements went to us in the 20s, and i think about 75% of gms would have taken him if they had another chance in that draft.

dbs will always go high so we might get a player to slip or a team to trade up to us.