Nate Clements

bluelight05

By not over spending, and being frugal, is how we got to having the second most cap room in the league. We don't need to open up money in the future so we can spend in the future we already did that and already have it. We don't have one player on this team with a "star" contract, with the possible exception of Spikes whose numbers are antiquated by now. McGee's is pretty good but he basically plays two roles.

Fundamentally agree with you. We need to spread available cap over all positions and get 2nd tier established players mixed with emerging talent who just hit the RFA or UFA market. I guess my underlying point is that will need to front end load contracts with high bases in the first couple of years and possibly play with gauranteed years to compete at all, even for this level of talent...It will actually help us when we are bidding against teams with RFA's that have little room against the cap. If we offer an RFA a salary in year one of $6Million and the team only has $10M of cap money --they will have to think long and hard about matching.

Fundamentally agree with you. We need to spread available cap over all positions and get 2nd tier established players mixed with emerging talent who just hit the RFA or UFA market. I guess my underlying point is that will need to front end load contracts with high bases in the first couple of years and possibly play with gauranteed years to compete at all, even for this level of talent...It will actually help us when we are bidding against teams with RFA's that have little room against the cap. If we offer an RFA a salary in year one of $6Million and the team only has $10M of cap money --they will have to think long and hard about matching.

No way, and I repeat, No friggen way, Ralph is gunna give guaranteed contracts while this whole revenue sharing thing is still up in the air. He would upsaet the apple cart so much, just forget any kind of reasonable revenue share agreement.

Because he is in the top 3 at his position, he should be paid accordingly.

Yep. Just not by us. He will command more than his value to us. He needed to be signed by now for it to have any chance of making sense. Spending $1 more than the dumbest overspending GM is a BAD way to build a football team. Let's take on the 2007 season with Youboty, McGee, and KT.

We will have weaker CBs losing Nate and starting Ashton (or even a #12 pick CB), but I expect when the dust settles we will be stronger at safety (a year experience), stronger at LB (wait and see), stronger at DLine (Kyle better, McCargo healthy, Larry settling in), O-Line, RB (contract year Willis behind a better O-Line), QB (another year experience), receivers (another year of maturing for Lee, and hopefully pick up another receiver), and at worst a push at TE. Sounds like a better team.

So I'd like to use Nate's dollars to sign Lee and JP to extensions, and upgrade positions of greater value. We will start a weaker corner in Nate's absense, but we will be a better team than if we break the bank for him.

Yep. Just not by us. He will command more than his value to us. He needed to be signed by now for it to have any chance of making sense. Spending $1 more than the dumbest overspending GM is a BAD way to build a football team. Let's take on the 2007 season with Youboty, McGee, and KT.

We will have weaker CBs losing Nate and starting Ashton (or even a #12 pick CB), but I expect when the dust settles we will be stronger at safety (a year experience), stronger at LB (wait and see), stronger at DLine (Kyle better, McCargo healthy, Larry settling in), O-Line, RB (contract year Willis behind a better O-Line), QB (another year experience), receivers (another year of maturing for Lee, and hopefully pick up another receiver), and at worst a push at TE. Sounds like a better team.

So I'd like to use Nate's dollars to sign Lee and JP to extensions, and upgrade positions of greater value. We will start a weaker corner in Nate's absense, but we will be a better team than if we break the bank for him.

And who is to say that Ashton wont catch up quickly? He was VERY highly touted out of college coming from a program that produces very good corners....Ohio State

I know Yobuty didn't play last year.....but I really do have a feeling about him

It pretty obvious nate isnt comming back so what kind of deal do you think hes going to get?

Im gonna go with 7 year 60 million with a 19 million dollar bonus.

Im not sure with what team but im sure there will be 10 teams that will puruse him.

I,m sorry but when you really look at the numbers, I would not spend that kind of money on a CB. I do not care what most people are saying NC is not worth that much money. Who many games did he change or win for us? I say if you do not want to play for the bills the C-ya. Go take someone else's money and end up like the Edge James.

I,m sorry but when you really look at the numbers, I would not spend that kind of money on a CB. I do not care what most people are saying NC is not worth that much money. Who many games did he change or win for us? I say if you do not want to play for the bills the C-ya. Go take someone else's money and end up like the Edge James.

well, consider we paid $7mil for him last year and in that contract he probably wont be a $7mil cap hit for 2-3 more years...

Look at the Patriots. Who have they overpaid for....uhhh, no one and they 3 SB rings.

The Patriots two best players have huge contracts and the Bills would not have been able to sign them under the cash to the cap philosophy. They overpaid for Roosevelt Colvin. They also signed a couple big name free agents like Rodney Harrison and Corey Dillon which helped them win the Super Bowls. They also paid Ty Law a huge contract for a couple years and franchised Asante Samuel which is a huge contract. They have several number one picks with good signed contracts.

The Patriots two best players have huge contracts and the Bills would not have been able to sign them under the cash to the cap philosophy. They overpaid for Roosevelt Colvin. They also signed a couple big name free agents like Rodney Harrison and Corey Dillon which helped them win the Super Bowls. They also paid Ty Law a huge contract for a couple years and franchised Asante Samuel which is a huge contract. They have several number one picks with good signed contracts.

Some data from the franchise/transition tag numbers, which list the top 10 contracts at each position...

Pats:

Tom Brady - #1 QB, highest-paid player in league ($13,823,750)

Richard Seymour - #3 DL

Rosevelt Colvin - #9 LB

Also, Samuel's franchise tender would instantly vault him to #3 on the CB list if/when he signs it.

Bills:

Clements - #4 CB

Spikes - #5 LB

And from the "Believe It Or Not" department, Dewayne Robertson is the highest-salaried DT at $9,417,760. Good job, Jets...