Possibly losing 4 defensive starters

generaLee83

It doesn't help that 2 of the players being lost are 2 of the top 3 players on defense though. You can't lose your best players and expect to improve.

But on a defence as bad as the Bills losing 2 of the top 3 is not that bad. Neither of those 2 that they are supposed to be losing were even considered for the Pro Bowl. How many LBer's were hurt and replacements were called up before Fletcher? Nate wasn't considered either

Maybe, just maybe, Bills fans are over ratting their own players a little bit?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But on a defence as bad as the Bills losing 2 of the top 3 is not that bad. Neither of those 2 that they are supposed to be losing were even considered for the Pro Bowl. How many LBer's were hurt and replacements were called up before Fletcher? Nate wasn't considered either

Maybe, just maybe, Bills fans are over ratting their own players a little bit?

I'm not over rating anybody. Clements, when he's motivated, is a top 5 CB. Fletcher isn't a great MLB but he's good, and better than anybody on the market or any rookie that could come in do this year. A bad D losing 2 of it's best 3 players (even if you don't think they're that great) doesn't translate into the D becoming even average unless they manage to find some diamonds in the rough via the draft.

My little mental list has Nate about 4/5th. I'd very much enjoy seeing somebody make a list that had 11 corners better than Clements on it. <_<

How on the planet Earth could anybody have watched KThomas stink up the joint, Youboty spend the season as a healthy scratch and McGee get pigeoned so bad he got benched, then actually say that these guys will be fine?

Wow :pirate:

Flashbacks to McGee vs. Roy Williams. Ooh, the pain... :P

As I've said before: I've resigned myself to seeing Clements in a different team's uniform next year, but that doesn't mean I like the idea.

Any of the guys above Harper would be an instant upgrade over NC and if you dont think so then you dont know football.

<_<

Oh master of gridiron knowledge, we can only subjugate ourselves to your superior insight and pray that someday we might approach your level of unassailable brilliance.

P.S. You forgot Rashean Mathis, Sheldon Brown, Nathan Vasher, Al Harris, and Andre Dyson who are all better than most of the guys on your "list". :P

It's been such a long time since the Bills were really good it seems many have forgot how it felt. They're willing to settle for the scraps fed them these days. There was a time where Bills Nation had some real Balz and wouldn't settle for this mediocre crap.

<_<

Besides posting the same drivel ad nauseum on a message board, what is it exactly that you are doing that constitutes having "balz" and "not settling for this mediocre crap?" You keep referring to "us" (the ignorant masses who somehow see Marv Levy as something more than the geriatric trainwreck you make him out to be) and complaining that "we" aren't doing anything about it.

What are you doing? And please don't count gracing us with your presence and posting your opinions at Two Bills Drive as anything constructive.

Flashbacks to McGee vs. Roy Williams. Ooh, the pain... <_<

As I've said before: I've resigned myself to seeing Clements in a different team's uniform next year, but that doesn't mean I like the idea.

This is one of my biggest fears ... our secondary is going to have 16 consecutive Roy Williams games next year ... and this time without Clements.

Flashbacks to McGee vs. Roy Williams. Ooh, the pain... <_<

What was the reason given why Clements wasn't on him in the first place?

I forgot. Thanks.

What was the reason given why Clements wasn't on him in the first place?

I forgot. Thanks.

The reason? Its called basic football knowledge. M-M system will have the cornerbacks covering a particular side. Not just a receiver. Once in a while you will see a team explain that tehy decided to assign a CB to a particular receiver, but in most games the CB simply plays his side. Thus why in the same game you would see McGee getting scored on by Driver, and then get burned by Jennings. Its not the coaches on the sidelines saying "hmm ... I think I will put McGee on Driver this play, and then Jennings the next" .... a CB plays his SIDE.

The reason? Its called basic football knowledge. M-M system will have the cornerbacks covering a particular side. Not just a receiver. Once in a while you will see a team explain that tehy decided to assign a CB to a particular receiver, but in most games the CB simply plays his side. Thus why in the same game you would see McGee getting scored on by Driver, and then get burned by Jennings. Its not the coaches on the sidelines saying "hmm ... I think I will put McGee on Driver this play, and then Jennings the next" .... a CB plays his SIDE.

Thanks for smartass answer Mr. Nice Guy!

How is it basic football knowledge(as you term it)- when in your post you mention that in most games CB'S play their side.

Doesn't using the word most leave open the chance the some teams do matchup cb's depending on their game plan?

For example Denver has tried to use Champ Bailey on Tony Gonzalez within the flow of the game if possible.

The way in which Roy Williams torched the Bills does make questioning how they game planned their coverage a legitimate question.

(Be it by providing more safety help or by at least considering using Nate on him if possible)

It's truly a wonder why a nice guy like you would ever get banned.

Except in the first half of the year, when we were getting torched, that is how they played. During the bye week they switched it up and for the remainder of the year, Clements was on the #1 WR regardless of where he lined up. It worked great and the pass defense was exponentially better.

Thanks for smartass answer Mr. Nice Guy!

How is it basic football knowledge(as you term it)- when in your post you mention that in most games CB'S play their side.

Doesn't using the word most leave open the chance the some teams do matchup cb's depending on their game plan?

For example Denver has tried to use Champ Bailey on Tony Gonzalez within the flow of the game if possible.

The way in which Roy Williams torched the Bills does make questioning how they game planned their coverage a legitimate question.

(Be it by providing more safety help or by at least considering using Nate on him if possible)

It's truly a wonder why a nice guy like you would ever get banned.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bite your head off. It is simply a sore subject still hung over from the actual Detroit game, where people could not seem to get their head around the fact that CB's play their sides. Especially in a cover 2-scheme.

Except in the first half of the year, when we were getting torched, that is how they played. During the bye week they switched it up and for the remainder of the year, Clements was on the #1 WR regardless of where he lined up. It worked great and the pass defense was exponentially better.

Correct. In the nine games following the bye, the Bills defense had as many INTs as TD passes allowed (eight), and Tennessee's Brandon Jones was the only WR to post a 100-yard game. And, of course, most of Jones' catches came on Vince Young scrambles that helped break down the coverage...

Flashbacks to McGee vs. Roy Williams. Ooh, the pain... :wallbash:

it was very painful, do you remember the Titans or Jags games too? McGee plays very short (height wise) and seldomly seems to go up for the ball or the pass break up.

McGee is not a #1 CB, he is a nickel back or even a dime back in a system that is at least average.