Press Conference

firstngoal

You have to make choices. One choice is whether to base a free agency philosophy on paying an astronomical price for an established name free agent or build a scouting staff that can spot an up and coming talent and secure the player right when they are on the cusp of improving. Fowler and Royal for example probably had their best years as pros last year and we signed them to reasonable deals that will keep them here for years to come. Are they pro bowlers -- no-- but they are serviceable parts who if either hit the market this year -- would command more than they did last year.

This is our philosophy when it comes to free agency--work like hell to retain our guys who we want to retain (Nate and Kelsay) -- and fill holes with up and comers..rather than shopping on Rodeo Drive we are shopping on Transit Road...its not panic time...its roll up your sleeves and scout and coach and teach time...Will they keep Nate--who knows. Did Marv tire of London's ability to make a bunch of tackles 6 yards off the line--yep...

This is a hell of a lot more fun for me...its blue collar, low ego approach -- it fits this team and it fits Buffalo--let's just go do it...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in competing for Clements, Fletcher etc on the open market which is no surprise since Ralph has been whining about money since last season.

Marv also made it sound like the Bills aren't too interested in making a big splash in free-agency but he sounded like they will go out and sign a few Robert Royals instead.

Marv didn't give anyone the impression that the Bills are ready to do what ever it takes to get this team to the next step which wasn't a good PR move since the team just raised ticket prices but needs to renew season tickets.

I rarely agree with the guys on GR55, but they hit the nail on the head when they said that it was a very depressing presser.

Seeing that the Bills have a much tougher schedule next season, be prepared for a step backwards in '07.

:worthy:

Take a step back? This team hit rock bottom 5 years ago and started to dig

apparently i've stepped into the doom and gloom, marv is old and senile circle jerk.

What happened? Was the 'Marv is a great GM because he once coached the Bills circle jerk' spent?

Why is anyone surprised that Marv doesn't know how much cap space the Bills have or how the franchise tag works? That's stuff only NFL GM's need to worry about.

It doesn't even matter how the Bills are under the cap. After they way Marv crapped the bed in free agency last off season? This off season was nothing to look forward to.

for those who think that marv is not going to try and sign Clements...wake up because you must have been sleeping during the PC.

"We would like to retain them, unquestionably."

Marv has a total man-crush on Clements and I think he is going to go after him hard. "The best FAs come from your own team."

What happened? Was the 'Marv is a great GM because he once coached the Bills circle jerk' spent?

Why is anyone surprised that Marv doesn't know how much cap space the Bills have or how the franchise tag works? That's stuff only NFL GM's need to worry about.

It doesn't even matter how the Bills are under the cap. After they way Marv crapped the bed in free agency last off season? This off season was nothing to look forward to.

For about $2 million a year we got a starting TE

For about $3 Million a year we got a rotational DT

For about $2 million a year we got a starting Center

For about $2 million a year each we got a #2 and a #3 WR

For about $2 million a year we secured a rotational DE who would make about $4 million a year this year

For about vet min we got a vet RB who carried the load for games when Willis was injured and a WR who turned into one of our better special teams players

Check the market rate for these positions before you continue to spew your crap...Everyone but Peerless Price and Larry Tripplett would make more money if they were on the market this year--and Tripplett would make the same...

We also drafted 2 first year starters in Whitner and Simpson and several role players (Pennington, Ellison, Williams) who were forced to play this year but also have the potential to be a solid foundation on a 53 man roster

That's not failure -- that's a makeover...

Bud, you're entitled to your opinion -- but at least come to the table with more than Marv sucks...

I agree the Bills should be making a major push to sign Nate Clements. But I don't know if you can blame Marv if Clements leaves. It could just be Ralph being cheap. On the other hand, Wilson seemed willing to spend money back when TD was the GM . . .

I'll agree most of the free agents signed last year were disappointing, and I'm not thrilled with any of last year's FA signings. Tuten Reyes, Larry Triplett, Melvin Fowler, Robert Royal, Peerless Price . . . the Bills could legitimately attempt to upgrade all of those guys this coming draft. Most of the guys on that list represent good depth, and most of them are young. But you really don't want any of those guys starting.

But it wasn't a total disaster. You really need four solid DTs, and Triplett can be part of a rotation. By no means is Fowler the next Kent Hull, but he's good enough to (sort of) get you by while you focus on other needs for a year or two. The same could be said about Robert Royal. While last year's free agent class may not have provided any long-term, bona fide answers at starting positions, it did allow the Bills to reduce their level of desperation at certain positions. Ideally, those players will be forced into backup roles, where they'll provide excellent depth. That may not happen this off-season, but I hope it happens soon.

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in competing for Clements, Fletcher etc on the open market which is no surprise since Ralph has been whining about money since last season.

Marv also made it sound like the Bills aren't too interested in making a big splash in free-agency but he sounded like they will go out and sign a few Robert Royals instead.

Marv didn't give anyone the impression that the Bills are ready to do what ever it takes to get this team to the next step which wasn't a good PR move since the team just raised ticket prices but needs to renew season tickets.

I rarely agree with the guys on GR55, but they hit the nail on the head when they said that it was a very depressing presser.

Seeing that the Bills have a much tougher schedule next season, be prepared for a step backwards in '07.

What an assinine thread. If I see a woman with a wart on her nose, I'll make sure to send her your way so you can burn her as a witch.

Just heard the audio and it basically sounds like they told Marv 5 minutes before the press conference started that he was going to have a press conference. He chose his words carefully and was speaking in very general terms. Obivously Marv's duties have no connection with the cap economics. I've got no problem with that.

Cash to the cap means that they will spend up $109 million this year which includes all signing bonuses, roster bonuses.....etc.....this team will not be handing out massive bonuses to one player. That makes me a little angry that they probably won't be making a play for Eric Steinbach and the SD lineman whose name escapes me. This off-season will probably be low profile and somehow I'm not very optimistic about playoffs for this coming season.

Please explain to me how this years schedule is tougher then playing the 13-3 Bears, the 14-2 Chargers, the 13-3 Ravens, the 12-4 Pats TWICE, and the 12-4 Super Bowl Champion Colts last year.

What makes any of the NFC East teams tough for 2007?

Giants: No Tiki, defense soft, Eli overrated...

Redskins: Average team at best next year

Cowboys: Paper tigers

Eagles: Good solid team, but hardly unbeatable...

Bengals: Prove it before I believe the hype...

Steelers: Losig Cowher, 1st year HC...who knows what to expect...

Enlighten me.

Wow--Marv spoke in generalities! Can you believe it! He has established a good philosophy for the team and a good coaching staff and good team chemistry around OBD. The players like the coaches, atmosphere, and all say what a better place it is than when he came in from the Donahoe/Mularkey/Williams fiasco. Marv was boring---so what? Bill Belichick is extremely boring. Donahoe knew a lot about the cap, business side of the NFL and the team but got 5 years and did nothing with it. Not one playoff birth! Williams gave a pumped up press conference predicted SB and everything else. Just give it time and watch what happens on the field. As long as these guys meet regularly, talk and discuss all aspects of a deal that is fine with me. Do you want only one guy making all decisions about free agents etc.... Marv was brought in to bring stability. NOT to negotiate contracts, NOT to master the cap, and NOT to tip his hand to the press. What did everyone expect from a press conference 2 weeks after the Super Bowl?

You know, I haven't been on the board long enough when the Bills have had a winning season. Do guys like DeLuca still find things to b!tch and moan about if we're winning?

Stop PMSing now and wait until training camp before crucifying Marv. One press conference and some of you already have your panties in a bunch.

Chicken Little called, he wants his gimmick back.

My name's Duhlewka.

I eat stuff off the floor.

I'd live upstairs from you.

If my IQ was above four.

If you hear something trite,

Some kind of blather. some kind of blight

Just don't ask me what it was

I think it's because I'm clumsy

I try not to talk too proud

Maybe it's because I'm crazy

A douche bag, I am avowed.

When I was a child,

I was often brushed aside.

Because their arms got tired,

They only hit until I cried

And after that I now constantly ask why

Just because I want to argue some more

There is way too much overreaction to Marv's press conference today. He is simply playing close to the vest and not showing his cards like any well schooled GM and coach should do. Regarding his lack of knowledge about the cap, who cares, he is a football guy let the geek accountant handle that matter. Marv and Jauron will pursue players they think fit the bill and ask the cap guy if they can do it, not unlike any business operation. Here are my takes:

1.) Fletcher is gone; they covet an attack dog linebacker, one that makes plays at the point of attack not five yards from the line of scrimmage. Spikes is in trouble as well!

2.) Clements will get an attractive offer from the Bills, whether or not he takes it is another matter.

3.) Chris Kelsey will get resigned.

4.) Marv and the coaching staff are not high on Gandy and Duke Preston; I believe Steinbach is definitely on their hit list.

5.) Kevin Everett is cut; Royal will get a chance because his productivity or lack there of is blamed on holding him in for protection; I guess no Daniel Graham.

6.) Overall, free agency to fix the offensive line, the first pick in the draft will go in one of these directions, defensive tackle or linebacker (remember Marv's comment to Polian about run defenese). I also see a running back being taken early. They are not happy with Willis, but right now they tend to blame the line.