Newt Gingrich

OnTheRocks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Newt relevant? You better believe it.

He has steadily moved up in various polls while flying below the radar. He has probably made more visits to Iowa in the past year than any other Republican candidate.

And he is extremly important (i wouldn't use the word "inspiring") to people on the right looking for a truly conservative option.

Ya see this is what is going to hurt the Republicans come 2008. The only remotely electable person running on the conservative side is Rudy, and just like Arnold on the Coast he's had to liberalize many of his positions just to get elected. By doing that he's alienated the Bobby Jones Universty conservative types who call the shots in the primaries.

In brief, the Republicans will probably shoot themselves in the foot and cast Rudy aside for a maniac like McCain.

Don't concern yourself with Newt. Dennis Kucinich has a better shot.

Is Newt relevant? You better believe it.

He has steadily moved up in various polls while flying below the radar. He has probably made more visits to Iowa in the past year than any other Republican candidate.

And he is extremly important (i wouldn't use the word "inspiring") to people on the right looking for a truly conservative option.

I don't have a whole lot of time for Newt in that he came here to the New School for a session that was billed in part as a Q&A, and he completely skipped out on that portion of the discussion. I think he's a brighter guy and better policy mind than some people give him credit for, but he's a politician like everyone else. He'll feign interest in something if it looks good for him.

Ya see this is what is going to hurt the Republicans come 2008. The only remotely electable person running on the conservative side is Rudy, and just like Arnold on the Coast he's had to liberalize many of his positions just to get elected. By doing that he's alienated the Bobby Jones Universty conservative types who call the shots in the primaries.

In brief, the Republicans will probably shoot themselves in the foot and cast Rudy aside for a maniac like McCain.

Don't concern yourself with Newt. Dennis Kucinich has a better shot.

Some of what you say is possible....but to count Newt out is a mistake. What you may not know is that Newt has met with Rudy to discuss some of the important positions. If Newt isn't satisfied with the direction Rudy leans he will throw his name in the ring. It will depend on how long Newt waits and how much money he can raise after getting a late start. Rudy is ruling the Republican polls right now but I hardly think he can sustain those numbers.

IMHO McCain is a non-factor.

I could see Rudi reaching out to a Brownback or Huckabee as a running mate to pull some of the southern social conservatives to his side.

Some of what you say is possible....but to count Newt out is a mistake. What you may not know is that Newt has met with Rudy to discuss some of the important positions. If Newt isn't satisfied with the direction Rudy leans he will throw his name in the ring. It will depend on how long Newt waits and how much money he can raise after getting a late start. Rudy is ruling the Republican polls right now but I hardly think he can sustain those numbers.

IMHO McCain is a non-factor.

I could see Rudi reaching out to a Brownback or Huckabee as a running mate to pull some of the southern social conservatives to his side.

I could see that but doesn't that say out and out that the social conservative issues are not really as important to that candidate, and that he's just using that wing of the party for votes?

I think this is a lot the same on both sides -- using the threat of a social issue to get votes, but not exercising the political capital to actually enact sweeping change because it would cause a backlash.

I think Newt has a very good chance. He will offer a very conservative agenda, is well spoken and likeable. Honestly he is my favorite option. HOWEVER, he is a horrible candidate. There is a difference between someone who would make a good president, and someone who is electable. He is not electible. Dems made the mistake with Kerry and Gore. Repubs made the mistake with Dole. Gingrich is not electible. Only Repubs who I think are electible at this point are Guliani, McCain and possibly Romney (dont know enough about him, but seems like he has "it").

I'd love to see newt as president...but perhaps he is better suited being a VP for a more moderate candidate like McCain or Guiliani.

Anybody catch the reporter last night Sabrina Tavernise, was on Charlie Rose, and who has lived in Iraq since the beginning of the war? It was extremely interesting and powerful, and she had a ton of insights into what really happened and what is happening. And was someone who said many things about how well it was working and could have worked, versus someone who was anti-war.

You can watch it here. It's about 20-25 minutes I think.

http://www.charlierose.com/index.html

Anybody catch the reporter last night Sabrina Tavernise, was on Charlie Rose, and who has lived in Iraq since the beginning of the war? It was extremely interesting and powerful, and she had a ton of insights into what really happened and what is happening. And was someone who said many things about how well it was working and could have worked, versus someone who was anti-war.

You can watch it here. It's about 20-25 minutes I think.

http://www.charlierose.com/index.html

Is she hot? With a name like Sabrina Tavernise, she should be hot.

He's had to "liberalize" his positions?? When did this happen? Please post links showing when Rudy has different positions. Thanks.

He's had to "liberalize" his positions?? When did this happen? Please post links showing when Rudy has different positions. Thanks.

Yeah, what he said... How does a Republican like Rudy get any more Liberal on issues like Abortion, Marrage, Gay Rights, etc.

I want to see the debate on Marital Fidelity between him & Hil, with Newt as Moderator. :lol:

• 1 month later...
For anyone interested in seeing what Newt has to say...he is scheduled to appear on the Charlie Rose show.

Newt was a guest on Charlie Rose last night.

I was sort of impressed...yet also there is a lot of politico speak nonsense. not much of a suprise there.

Good interview available on: www.charlierose.com

Newt was a guest on Charlie Rose last night.

I was sort of impressed...yet also there is a lot of politico speak nonsense. not much of a suprise there.

Good interview available on: www.charlierose.com

He's a very good interview.