The 2007 draft could be a lot different . . .

Orton's Arm

With Nate Clements on his way out the door, the Bills are likely to use their first round pick on a CB. That move will plug the most immediate hole in the secondary. But then you have DT: Larry Triplett isn't living up to the hype, John McCargo is an unknown, and Tim Anderson isn't the answer. Even if McCargo and Kyle Williams both become Pro Bowl caliber players, the Bills would still benefit from another presence at DT. I could see them trading their second and third round picks away to get a pick toward the end of the first round; and using that pick on a DT.

Most of their second-day picks would be used to address the needs on the offensive line; with the occasional pick being used to build depth at LB and the secondary.

Yes, the 2007 draft will be very different than the one from 2006.

A first round DB and then a trade up back into the first for a DT. Yeah thats a whole lot different from last year :wallbash:

Yes, it's very different from last year. Last year, we used our first pick on a SS. This year, it'll be a CB! :blink:

You know what else we could do in 2007? McGahee isn't the world's greatest RB, he doesn't seem like he really wants to be here, he doesn't seem to have the "show up every Sunday" character Marv's been talking about, and he's in the last year of his contract. It wouldn't exactly shock me if Marv traded McGahee away for a 3rd round pick. You can never have too many DBs, so maybe that's where that 3rd round pick will go . . .

Yes, it's very different from last year. Last year, we used our first pick on a SS. This year, it'll be a CB! :wallbash:

You know what else we could do in 2007? McGahee isn't the world's greatest RB, he doesn't seem like he really wants to be here, he doesn't seem to have the "show up every Sunday" character Marv's been talking about, and he's in the last year of his contract. It wouldn't exactly shock me if Marv traded McGahee away for a 3rd round pick. You can never have too many DBs, so maybe that's where that 3rd round pick will go . . .

What would your "dream scenario" be for the Bills draft?

Pick 1, 2 and 3?

Would some of you 'experts" out there please remind me of the number of rookie DT's who played stellar their first year in the league? Everyone is so ready to discard McCargo and Williams to find that great DT who (I assume) will play great in his rookie season. C'mon guys - name some names (with stats)

Have any of you looked up the current great DT's to see how they performed in their first or even 2nd years? Most - if not all - of them did not play that great at first. Why? It takes a year or two to amass the bulk and the skills to flourish amongst all those 300 lb offenive behemoths. Remember, in college it was men against boys - how many time did one of the great college DT;s have to face one, let alone 2 or more NFL caliber offensive linemen?

I just do not see the Bills drafting another DT in rounds 1 or 2. As to CB - maybe, but they DID draft heavily in the secondary last year. Time to discard them already too?

Meanwhile, how exactly is JP supposed to put points on the board if the Bills don't draft some offensive linemen to keep him upright and somebody to take the heat off of Lee Evans? A tight end who could catch would be nice too........

meh, I'd expect the bills to handle their CB needs via free agency rather than this draft. they might prefer to go with experience rather than more youth there. THere are PLENTY free agent CBs this year, and tampa-2 CBs require a different skill set, which could make more available. I know the Colts have two they probably won't be able to sign. I'd like to see them sign Kiwalkee Thomas, he did a decent job in his role and would come cheap. If we're gonna spend I'd like to see the Bills outbid for Steinbach. Re-sign Gandy as depth at LG. He wasn't dominant but never sucked at LG. Definition of good depth. Re-signing Kelsay would provide good depth and he wouldn't be too expensive. Personally, I'd like to see us trade Willis for the Raider's 2nd round pick, and take RB Lynch at 12, WR Meacham at 33, DT Harrell at 43, FB/RB Leonard at 74, and LB HB Blades at 107.

That sorta thing.

What would your "dream scenario" be for the Bills draft?

Pick 1, 2 and 3?

I'd re-sign Clements and Kelsay. Then I'd use the 1st round pick on Okoye, and picks 2 & 3 on OGs. Bill Walsh once said that the key to winning football games is a good pass rush from your front 4 in the 4th quarter. If Okoye works out, he'd significantly upgrade the Bills' talent and depth along the DL; and help give us that 4th quarter pass rush Walsh talked about. If Kyle Williams and John McCargo improve, so much the better.

How about you?

I'd re-sign Clements and Kelsay. Then I'd use the 1st round pick on Okoye, and picks 2 & 3 on OGs. I realize that McCargo and Kyle Williams might improve to the point where DT isn't the biggest area of need, but you can never have too much depth, and Okoye isn't the kind of player I like to pass up.

How about you?

As for now (pre-combine)

I am in the Okoye camp with the first selection.

With the 2, 3 and 4rth pick I'd like a guard, then a cb, then either a wr or rb

I'd like Clements signed- but think the chance is slim to none.

Kelsay- I'm surprised they haven't signed by now. He seems to serve the team well in a rotation.

Would some of you 'experts" out there please remind me of the number of rookie DT's who played stellar their first year in the league? Everyone is so ready to discard McCargo and Williams to find that great DT who (I assume) will play great in his rookie season. C'mon guys - name some names (with stats)

Have any of you looked up the current great DT's to see how they performed in their first or even 2nd years? Most - if not all - of them did not play that great at first. Why? It takes a year or two to amass the bulk and the skills to flourish amongst all those 300 lb offenive behemoths. Remember, in college it was men against boys - how many time did one of the great college DT;s have to face one, let alone 2 or more NFL caliber offensive linemen?

I just do not see the Bills drafting another DT in rounds 1 or 2. As to CB - maybe, but they DID draft heavily in the secondary last year. Time to discard them already too?

Meanwhile, how exactly is JP supposed to put points on the board if the Bills don't draft some offensive linemen to keep him upright and somebody to take the heat off of Lee Evans? A tight end who could catch would be nice too........

Two from Tennessee that I can think of Albert Haynesworth for the Titans and John Henderson...

My favorite Bills pick for last year Haloti Ngata comes to mind.

SPLIT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

2006 31 13 18 1.0 1 5 0 0 1 60 60.0 60 0 2

Career 31 13 18 1.0 1 5 0 0 1 60 60.0 60 0

Still think if we'd have drafted Ngata we'd have been in the playoffs. Still think if we draft Okoye or Branch we'll be in the playoffs.

I could see them trading their second and third round picks away to get a pick toward the end of the first round; and using that pick on a DT.

Most of their second-day picks would be used to address the needs on the offensive line; with the occasional pick being used to build depth at LB and the secondary.

Yes, the 2007 draft will be very different than the one from 2006.

HA,

They traded a extra 3rd rounder last year to get a DT (McCargo). I don't see how they can give up another extra pick to get another DT. They are either going to get a DT in free agency or invest in a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I just don't see us giving up draft picks to get players.

Two from Tennessee that I can think of Albert Haynesworth for the Titans and John Henderson...

My favorite Bills pick for last year Haloti Ngata comes to mind.

SPLIT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

2006 31 13 18 1.0 1 5 0 0 1 60 60.0 60 0 2

Career 31 13 18 1.0 1 5 0 0 1 60 60.0 60 0

Still think if we'd have drafted Ngata we'd have been in the playoffs. Still think if we draft Okoye or Branch we'll be in the playoffs.

The 2002 draft produced some good defensive players and some horrible offensive players. Interesting

Haynesworth played alongside Stroud in 2002 and actually had fewer tackles his rookie season than Kyle Wiliams did this year (and Kyle rotated a lot)

Henderson had similar numbers (one more tackle) than Kyle BUT John had had 6.5 sacks his rookie season - a huge number I grant you.

Here's Kyles numbers:

TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

2006 53 33 20 0.0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

I think Kyle, if he bulks, up this offseason will be the real deal. He's high motor, smart, and has only scratched the surface of his potential. Not bad for a 5th round pick that we got from the Moulds deal.

All reports from the Bills coaching staff said that McCargo was picking up his game right before his injury. My take on this remains that the Bils will stand pat on the D-Line, try to sign Kelsay, lose Fletcher, try to sign but probably lose Clements, sign Denney (?), try to sign Thomas (who knows), and then draft WR, TE, and OT/OG - they may also go CB in round 1 but I am leaning towards them putting Youboty in as a starter.

-rgg

HA,

They traded a extra 3rd rounder last year to get a DT (McCargo). I don't see how they can give up another extra pick to get another DT. They are either going to get a DT in free agency or invest in a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I just don't see us giving up draft picks to get players.

Agreed.They wont be doing a trade like that.

I like Okoye- but feel the Bills will sign a veteran DT before the draft.

(of course that doesn't mean they still can't draft Okoye)

Stopping the run is an offseason priority and I don't want the Bills to reach for crap because they are desperate and end up having the same problem and no solution.

I don't think drafting a CB in the first round should be our choice, and I don't think it will be the best way to improve the team.

I think that we need to get the best player we can at #12 (and at with pretty much every pick), and not try to patch perceived needs, which are very often not the real needs over the course of a season much less 2 or 3.

I would like to go on record as saying that I'm fine with Youboty and McGee at corners and KT or someone else at nickel IF Nate is too expensive and the most talented football player at our first couple picks is not a CB.

I also don't buy the DT #1 as a necessity, because McCargo, Kyle, and Larry are good, and while we need a 4th guy to replace Anderson, he doesn't have to be our top off season pickup if that isn't our best value. I wouldn't mind seeing it at all, although I'm personally more concerned about our two guards.

bflodan said it well, don't reach because you are desperate. Relax, get the best players available, and over the years you are a better organization for it. Free Agency is the place to fill I-Need-It-Now. The draft is a place to get the most football talent and value you can year after year as lots of needs and holes change.

Talented draft picks over five years are worth way way more than perceived year one impact.