Hung out with my Sports Writer friend

one of my friends down here writes for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and was at the Senior Bowl the entire week. he always keeps an eye on the Bills' interests for me.

he said he got to speak with Marv for a little bit while watching the practices, and while he didnt get any info out of him,said he was really impressed after only talking with him for a few minutes. now, while thats not news to US who have known Marv for so long, it is news to a southern boy who grew up in Oklahoma and is writing for a major southern paper. especially when most of the media world is calling Marv too old to be effective. its good to know he has a new fan.

my boy also said that Marv might be the oldest person he's ever met and he didnt realize just HOW OLD the guys are who are running the team.

I also asked him to keep an eye on Okoye and he says that Okoye was the most dominant lineman on either side of the ball the entire week of practice, and that the kid is a freak and just blew everyone away.

nothing that is news to us. but its always good to hear from non-biased outside sources.

lol, no kidding.

he said he was sitting a row behind Marv and when he tried to start talking to him Marv asked him to repeat himself 3 times before he finally said "young man, come sit next to me, i dont hear that well these days"

he said it was like going to visit one of your grandparents.

Maybe even Tampa Bay at 4, although a trade-down by them a couple spots would make more sense.

I don't know MBD. If Calvin Johnson is still there I think Gruden is going to take him.

Last year, they selected Davin Joseph (OG) in round 1, and Jeremy Trueblood (RT) in round 2. Johnson is said to have more ability coming out of college than Randy Moss or Michael Westbrook. I can't imagine passing on a kid like this.

I don't know MBD. If Calvin Johnson is still there I think Gruden is going to take him.

Last year, they selected Danin Joseph (OG) in round 1, and Jeremy Trueblood (RT) in round 2. Johnson is said to have more ability coming out of college than Randy Moss or Michael Westbrook. I can't imagine passing on a kid like this.

That's very possible as well.

I think Marvelous will pull something out of his houndstooth hat and trade down to compile some picks. I really havent seen much of this kid Okeye but from the fodder everyone says he the next coming which makes me even more nervous. The best player/athlete in this years draft is Calvin Johnson hands down. Any team that passes on this kid is nuts.

he said he got to speak with Marv for a little bit ... he was really impressed after only talking with him for a few minutes.

The results will speak for themselves. We'll know by the end of 2009 whether RW's experiment in bringing ML back was worthwhile. We're all cheering for it to be worthwhile. But only time will tell. The next two drafts are critical.

I've come to the conclusion that Okoye won't be there when we pick at 12. If he were there then it's a no brainer, but it's now become a pipe dream.

Sean Kugler could also have some special insight on unknown OLs from the WAC after coacing BSU for a year. An undrafted free agent not known to other teams can often be a bonus if he works out.

I was just looking over that list of WAC players.

Samson Satele (guard/center) of Hawaii and Kyle Young (OC) of Fresno State are the best.

From DraftDaddy:

OC Kyle Young ~ Fresno State -- Regarded by many as the top center prospect in the nation. When the Bulldogs have needed to gain the important yards in the rushing game the last few seasons, they've followed big Kyle up the middle and results were usually positive....Young is big for a center (6' 5", 330 pounds), but is uniquely agile and athletic for his size. Very intelligent player, who is pound per pound very strong. If "tall center" Ryan Cook could be drafted in round 2 by the Vikings recently, there is no reason an athlete like Young can't go as high or higher.

Don't Forget two others--Paul Williams WR Fresno St. and Jeff Rowe QB Nevada.

WR Paul Williams ~ Fresno State -- Very athletic 6' 2", 200 pound receiver, who has long arms and possesses terrific leaping ability. We've seen Williams make a lot of acrobatic catches, so he's a wide out with excellent body control and improving hands....Williams is very highly regarded as an athlete within the Fresno State program. Only had 5 receptions for 70 yards as a sophomore in 2004, but broke out last season with 43 receptions for 729 yards and 7 TD's. Needs a good senior season, followed by solid workouts, to get squarely on the NFL's Day 1 radar.

QB Jeff Rowe ~ Nevada -- Exciting 6' 5", 220 pound quarterback with a fairly strong and accurate arm and surprising mobility (rushed for 6 TD's as a junior). Had a great season in 2005 for the Wolfpack, completing 62% of his attempts for 2,925 yards and 21 TD's. Has thrown 22 interceptions the last 2 seasons (10 in 2005), so cutting down on mistakes will help him. Also, a little added bulk to his frame would be beneficial. Overall, he's a very good quarterback with a lot skills. Sort of reminds us of former Utah star Alex Smith, currently with the 49ers.

I've come to the conclusion that Okoye won't be there when we pick at 12. If he were there then it's a no brainer, but it's now become a pipe dream.

If Okoye was as dominant as quoted, coupled with his youth (see potential) and seemingly high character you're right he likely won't last to pick 12. The Dolphins at pick 9 seem like a good fit with their age at DT (see Traylor, Holliday and Zgonina) all over age 30 and little depth behind them. Not to mention Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas likely won't be around too many more years and they'll need someone to pass the torch too.

If Okoye was as dominant as quoted, coupled with his youth (see potential) and seemingly high character you're right he likely won't last to pick 12. The Dolphins at pick 9 seem like a good fit with their age at DT (see Traylor, Holliday and Zgonina) all over age 30 and little depth behind them. Not to mention Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas likely won't be around too many more years and they'll need someone to pass the torch too.

Wait a minute you said "seemingly high character" and the Dolphins seem like a good fit?

No wonder your name is the Jokeman!

:thumbsup: